One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-29 02:16:32

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Black Wall

OyKmkPH.png

Still working my way through the remaining reported issues.  Only 123 left!

Highlights from this week:  an overhaul of the tool-slot system to make it less error-prone and consolidate some of the dead-end tool choices, less-griefable rails, removable roses on hats, and black painted walls.

The biggest change is the way that committing to learning a tool works.  While you're in the process of learning, you now get one free use of every available tool.  After using a tool once, you've almost learned it, but you haven't yet committed to spending a tool slot on it yet until you use it one more time.  This dramatically reduces the feeling of wasting a valuable tool slot on something that you learned by accident.

I'm also in the process of phasing out the "eating bonus" that was put in place during the first big Steam sale.  This means that the food supply will get a little bight tighter over the next few days, and the game will be a bit more challenging.  Keep in mind that this is balanced by a reduced rate of food consumption.  So even as the value of each bite of food is reduced some, the frantic feeling of "needing to eat constantly" won't resurface.

#2 2020-02-29 03:51:49

Spoonwood

Re: Update: Black Wall

Game doesn't have 10,000 craft-able objects.

Game doesn't grandfathers, nor parents in the plural.  No fathers.  For anyone who hasn't played or has forgotten, there's an abundance of family trees which clearly indicate one and only one parent.

Anyone who wants to report such on the GitHub could do so here: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues

Any talk about how fathers don't fit with the vision of the game is also pure rubbish as an examination of this post and its link show: https://archive.is/AJKoW

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2020-02-29 03:59:25

TheRubyCart

This, is actually... Quite helpful, thanks

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#4 2020-02-29 04:14:24

Punkypal

Jason

When you say "less griefable rails" do you mean it's harder to remove rails, or that it's harder for people to drop down stupid, useless rails to grief towns with? Because the primary use for rails that I've ever seen is to waste floor space in buildings with useless rails so objects can't be placed there anymore.

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#5 2020-02-29 04:38:15

JasonY

Add content

Need Content

#6 2020-02-29 10:10:24

Flachzang

Will the yum bonus disappear? Hum, I hope not because I like building a chain.

#7 2020-02-29 10:53:12

jinbaili83

It is not yum bonus but extra food value added when eating.

#8 2020-02-29 19:00:23

Mekkie

Punkypal wrote:

Jason

When you say "less griefable rails" do you mean it's harder to remove rails, or that it's harder for people to drop down stupid, useless rails to grief towns with? Because the primary use for rails that I've ever seen is to waste floor space in buildings with useless rails so objects can't be placed there anymore.

I'm curious about this too.

#9 2020-03-01 03:06:16

Spoonwood

Punkypal wrote:

Jason

Mekkie wrote:

I'm curious about this too.

There's a section on the OHOL discord under 'info-feeds' called 'live-dev-changes'.  Many changes, if not almost all changes, come with a descriptive note about them and a link whereby one can find the relevant code added or changed.  There's sometimes a number like "#637" which refers to the issue posted on the GitHub which the changes address.  #637 is the issue referenced in the rail changes on live-dev-changes or at least many of the descriptions of the rail changes have that number referenced.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-03-01 03:06:43)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#10 2020-03-01 10:20:14

Dodge

Punkypal wrote:

Jason

No it means if you build a long rail that goes from the bakery to the sheep pen it wont get removed in two seconds by a griefer and if someone puts rails in a bad place you can remove them with the help of someone else.

#11 2020-03-02 04:12:29

PeachyCheech

Thank you for remodelling tool slots, it makes a big difference!

If you're not smithing get out of the forge area, dammit! mad

OneTech is your friend, visit them every so often. big_smile

#12 2020-03-02 16:59:30

Mekkie

PeachyCheech wrote:

Thank you for remodelling tool slots, it makes a big difference!

yes!  A much needed change... last night i was able to turn a sledge into a slotbox for the kitchen without having to waste a tool slot on the adze.  There are so many times where i just need to use a tool once situationally but never would have done it before cause the wasted slot!

Board footer