One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-16 17:10:35

paxpython

Is it time for school?

Hello everybody.

I've been searching and couldn't find a post about school or education at a more complex level than "Watch me do it".

I was wondering, having a closed space with a nany/teacher giving out the camp rules for little babies, and an adjacent enclosure, like for sheeps, for the ones that can pickup stuff.

You would have to make some exercises until young adult. If everything works out you get clothes.

The ones who don't run (and get shot, maybe) are probably people who want to help and are a bit wiser now.

What do you think?

#2 2018-04-16 17:29:20

stickyflypaper

Re: Is it time for school?

Not a bad idea, I think.
Right now the moms or wet nurses are the primary educator for children. But a lot of the time they don't really teach or show the kids anything.

#3 2018-04-16 17:41:17

paxpython

stickyflypaper wrote:

But a lot of the time they don't really teach or show the kids anything.

True. I tried, and it's really hard. That's why I think it should be a proper job.

And the schools would also prevent little kids from picking seeding rows, or worst, planting milkweed and wheat on the carrot rows.

It would also make job distribution a lot easier.

#4 2018-04-16 17:46:51

mulgara

Yes, I really think the role of caretaker/teacher is underutilized but can be really important.

In my opinion, in a perfect world, you would have a single fertile woman taking care of all of the kids around a campfire. This frees up the other women to continue contributing in other useful ways, instead of having all the women standing around feeding their own kids. While the kids are essentially useless for the first few minutes, the caretaker should share:

• Basic Rules -- Farming, etc.

• Navigation -- Layout of the town, and nearby resources

• Main goal/challenges of the town -- I think this is really important. It's nice to have the kids know from the start what the big overarching goal is at that moment, even if it is just to have enough food to sustain everyone.

Beyond that, niche job-specific education should probably still take the form of the child watching someone else do it. Otherwise, it's just too much information. Just ask the child what they would like to help with and steer them in the right direction. And of course, this is all dependent on how far along the civilization is, it's much easier to take the time to educate kids in a stable society where food isn't a huge worry.

#5 2018-04-16 17:58:07

paxpython

mulgara wrote:

it's much easier to take the time to educate kids in a stable society where food isn't a huge worry.

Yes, and overpopulation due to bad farm management is part of lack of knowledge (mostly). Another thing schools would improve.

I know I like to teach. There are probably others willing to dedicate their life to this cause.

mulgara wrote:

In my opinion, in a perfect world, you would have a single fertile woman taking care of all of the kids around a campfire.

I would add another person to the educational system just to take care of the nanny.

Last edited by paxpython (2018-04-16 18:15:48)

#6 2018-04-16 18:12:41

OneLife Worker

there will be signs added to the game. that might help alot. depending on how much you can write on a sign you could maybe make a library building of sorts

#7 2018-04-16 18:19:15

paxpython

OneLife Worker wrote:

there will be signs added to the game. that might help alot. depending on how much you can write on a sign you could maybe make a library building of sorts

By what I've seen so far, the systems for education used on large towns could be improved, but signs would help make education a lot easier.

#8 2018-04-16 19:54:55

Lily

I always ask people if they know how to do stuff, and if needed I teach them some of the basics. There is actually a lot of people who say they know nothing, so if you don't teach them how to farm and stuff, your setting them up for failure. Some times you even need to teach them how to eat and stuff or they will die real quick.

Board footer