One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-02-26 10:52:29

fug

Re: Jason's misunderstanding

Dodge wrote:

Numbers where going down before all the updates you're upset about, so you're really looking in the wrong places.

Sure you can tell when you're not having fun but the reason why or what to do about it is a little more obscure.

One day: "We want to build big civilizations"

The next day: "Big towns are boring"

People like variety and under the current game that's just not very possible.

Everyone is shoved into big towns because it's not viable for people to run off and start new towns because of racial restrictions. This means mega towns are the only real viable way of play therefore "big towns are boring" because you're always stuck in the same few bell towns as soon as a bell gets completed.

Because "big towns are boring" people want to make new civilizations but as soon as they run off the smart kids will just leave to the bell since you can't actually live there. All the pseudo eves try to make a claim but it doesn't work unless she specifically brings another race over during her next life and notice how I don't say trade because they're basically one soul moving back to the same spot to be viable.

Next issue of course is racial restrictions in the first place because they cut a bunch of content without adding anything to make up for it. I don't know about anyone else in this thread but everyone knows I like to build fishing huts and go fish which means I can only specifically play as ginger if I want to enjoy my time playing. I was just afking for literal hours to not hurt my meme score but I came to the conclusion - Why the fuck am I playing ohol to sit in a little hut instead of playing? So now I just /die to ginger. Sure, I've lost two to three slots now but 5-6 works fine IF I already have a fishing hut built. The game is definitely more enjoyable now but at the cost basically only being allowed to fish vs doing anything else.

The game is boring/bad/whatever because Jason keeps taking things away and not filling the void he left. First he takes away 99.9999%+ of the map then leaves us to basically massacre each other for months, next he frees us just to impose a rift like feature where every family has to be close to each other to function AND he cut away content from all the different races. The game is basically about one player moving family A to family B so that new brown/black/ginger people pop up in the proper town instead of trade or any other goofy ass idea.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#27 2020-02-26 11:48:01

Dodge

There's like 3k+ objects or something (dont know actual number), "restricted" content is not even 1% of it, i understand you like fishing and all but what's so great about slashing trees???

Anyways numbers where still going down before so that's clearly not the issue.

I guess bell towers could have a higher cooldown that would partially solve the issue, but like i said before players are able to regroup in high numbers because it's easy to not die there, if you actually needed to think a bit more in order to survive then being all regrouped in one big town would not work.

I remember a time when a village that had too many players would inevitably have a food shortage and die out (a few lazy players would kill it) sure it wasn't great because the rythm was too stressful but at least you got to start new after that.

I'm not saying we should go back to that it was pretty bad (but fun), but now it should be about strategy and not "speed crafting", making decisions, interacting etc, this would be the best.

Currently it's neither of those you dont need to think and you dont need to be fast either it's basically a crafting game with no survival aspect to it.

#28 2020-02-26 12:16:35

fug

Higher cooldown just equals more bells you change nothing besides the multiple bell city being more meta. Again you think nerf without actually taking any real context in what it would do to actually effect the game (nothing at all.)

Adding difficulty effects only the people who are hit by it the hardest which are new players. You could give food values invisible negative values instead of positive and guess what? Veteran players would still thrive and new players would still starve out in the masses. Once you get over the difficulty gap this game basically becomes mind numbingly easy and every attempt to make it "harder" is just extra tedium disguised as difficulty. Making this game harder won't improve it at all in my opinion unless it's basically turning ez mode off (which still doesn't add real difficulty.)

The game should embrace the fun parts such as crafting with your family, raising kids, and finding your niche in civilization and really shining through. You have to do things that make sense to the players if you want to see something play out as we're not a bunch of idiots. Jason was basically warned exactly what the meta would become if he went through with racial specialty - People would just group up together and ignore the mechanic because self segregation and family loyalty aren't a thing in this game. You play for the city and if your kids decide to hangout with you that's awesome but just not how the game goes.

I recommend actually playing the game and seeing what its like instead of sitting on the benches pretending you know how it plays.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#29 2020-02-26 12:50:18

Dodge

Usually people ring all the bells at once but sure wathever.

Well then it's up to veterans to help and guide new players so they dont die is it that bad?

Currently it's basically everyone for themselves (except you contribute to a common goal) but at the same time doing your own thing without really having to care for others, basically you craft stuff for others and that's about it more or less.

I play on occasion but usually i get bored and i just quit before hitting 60, it was already like that before the updates you're talking about so at least for me it's not the issue, i already know how to make pretty much all the objects in the game so that's not interesting for me.

Like Jason said interactions have the potential to be limitless, crafting objects is just A + B = C

Of course objects are necessary as they serve as a pretext for interactions (or they should be but currently are not really), like needing food if you dont have it, or clothes if you dont etc, but right now everything is served on a silver plate so of course the interactions are non existant (or at least not as merely as interesting as they could be).

#30 2020-02-26 13:47:10

DestinyCall

Would the game actually be interesting to you if it was harder, Dodge?

Try living a life with self-imposed limits.    Only eat pork tacos.   Nothing else.   If you can't find, make, or convince someone else to cook you some tacos before you are too old to drink mother's milk, you die and must try again.

Do this until you succeed.    It will not be easy.   It will require interaction and help from your mother.   You will probably fail a few times.    Do it anyways.

Did the extra challenge bring back the fun you seek?   

If not, there are other challenges - try to live a life without using any tool slots.    Try building a family home in your race's specialty biome.     Try organizing a long distance journey between bell towns with multiple players.

Right now, you are bored with OHOL's meta, but there are many ways to play.   Instead of imposing higher difficulty on everyone to make the game more interesting for you, try challenging yourself in new ways.   You just might like it.

#31 2020-02-26 14:06:27

Dodge

That would still be me doing my own thing, I eat only pork, I eat only corn etc, where's the interaction in that.

So basically the same as now where everyone is playing their own game

Besides that point i'm not very much into forced interactions, when someone tries to interact in a way that is obviously him doing his imaginary thing and forcing some kind of narrative like "we must create a kingdom" "you are king" i usually /die, run away, overplay it or anything else. But i'm not into actually pretending to be king for no actual reason and obnoxiously say things like "These farmers lives belong to me".

If it actually made sense i would do it for sure though, probably push it to the limit and treat my subjects as poorly as possible to see how far i can go before they kill me and would be disapointed if they dont.

#32 2020-02-26 14:40:31

DestinyCall

So I'm guessing that means you are not interested in joining my nudist colony?   

We only wear clothing with zero insulation value.      Social nudity removes the artificial barriers that force us apart, bringing us closer together as people and encouraging us to appreciate the full power of nature.   Working together is very important, because our only source of warmth is the bonds of our community.      Reject the shackles of the textile industry and join hands with your fellow man/woman/child.   Take off your clothes.

Be free.   Be naked.   Be happy.     Wear turkey hats.

#33 2020-02-26 14:44:51

Tipy

jasonrohrer wrote:

If I have A, and that guy over there has B, but he's not just going to hand it to me, that's one example of a more complex interaction. 

But at least you had to do something creative.... at least the same old thing, repeated, no longer works every time.

Why shouldn't I just give sulfur to this person so their town can prosper. I loose nothing sulfur is free for me. I have sulfur not because I worked hard to get it but because I got born the right colour. I can always get more sulfur for me no problem. Person A sees the sulfur as valuable not because it takes hard work to get but because no matter what he does he can't get it (other than ask for other to get it for him) and yet he needs it for survival. I don't loose anything from giving the sulfur for free, so why shouldn't I just give it to the guy that needs it?

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#34 2020-02-26 14:46:42

DestinyCall

Tipy wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

If I have A, and that guy over there has B, but he's not just going to hand it to me, that's one example of a more complex interaction. 

But at least you had to do something creative.... at least the same old thing, repeated, no longer works every time.

Why shouldn't I just give sulfur to this person so their town can prosper. I loose nothing sulfur is free for me. I have sulfur not because I worked hard to get it but because I got born the right colour. I can always get more sulfur for me no problem. Person A sees the sulfur as valuable not because it takes hard work to get but because no matter what he does he can't get it (other than ask for other to get it for him) and yet he needs it for survival. I don't loose anything from giving the sulfur for free, so why shouldn't I just give it to the guy that needs it?

Jason is hoping you will be a dick about it, because that would be more interesting for him to watch.

#35 2020-02-26 15:55:50

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Jason is hoping you will be a dick about it, because that would be more interesting for him to watch.

No, he won't be watching in the vast majority of cases.

Dodge wrote:

Numbers where going down before all the updates you're upset about, so you're really looking in the wrong places.

Dodge, tool limitations and hair-based restrictions forced players into dependent states.  Instead of something like doing an oil rig sometimes being a group project and sometimes being a solo project, things changed so that it became a group project.  Thus, there was less variety and more player dependence.  Many other updates, such as the temperature overhaul, decreased variety in the game and put more players into a fragile state.  And on top of that, from the first release of the game players more often than not got put into a dependent state and variety of initial conditions was low.  And instead of player having some significant ability to control their reproduction, they've gotten forced into it, and most gamers prefer control and want a feeling of empowerment than one of dependence and getting forced into things.

So, no, the problems with tool limitations and hair-based restrictions provide clues about how numbers went down before AND why this game has always had low numbers.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#36 2020-02-26 16:02:19

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

No, he won't be watching in the vast majority of cases.

Jason is always watching.

#37 2020-02-26 17:28:47

Dodge

So you're saying an update that has been added recently gives clues on why numbers where going down before that update was added, but numbers are going down before and after the update, you make total sense...

#38 2020-02-26 17:36:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Tipy, even if you give him sulfur, you still had to find him and do it, right?  You know he can't get the sulfur on his own.  Finding him, and handing him sulfur, and hoping that he will hand you latex in return, is a social interaction that would not otherwise exist.

I mean, if you could just go to the jungle and get your own latex, right?

Then you wouldn't even need to find his town.  Then you wouldn't even need to offer the gift of sulfur.  You'd just mind your own business, and only interact with other towns on a whim.

Now you must interact with them, in some way, or your town is doomed.  There are a bunch of solutions to this problem, including convincing some of them to move into your town.  However, there's still a problem that you can't avoid solving, and it is fundamentally a social problem, NOT a crafting problem.

If you give a gift, there's no guarantee that you'll get what you need in return.

If you try to convince someone from the town to move into your town, there's no guarantee that they will listen and follow you.

If you try to move into their town yourself, there's no guarantee that they will trust and accept you.

If you hear a bell, there's no guarantee that the town that rang the bell has what you need.

In the old game, if you needed rubber, you just wandered around until you found a patch of jungle, then wandered around more until you found some sulfur.  The solution to your problem was guaranteed, and always worked exactly the same way.

Regarding numbers falling, yes, numbers have ALWAYS been falling.  They were falling ever since the off-Steam launch, which is why I finally decided to put the game on Steam.  They were falling before and after every change I ever made to the game.

You can pick your favorite love-to-hate mechanic, and say that is why the game is losing players.  But the reality is that people generally like the game right now.  They have always generally liked the game.

Every game loses players.  Some games lose players more slowly than they gain players.

These days, we're gaining about 40-70 new players per day, and probably losing a few more than that each day

While the average player plays for 20 hours (95 lives) before quitting, the median player only plays for 3.5 hours (20 lives) before quitting.

I believe there is something fundamentally unsatisfying about this game, baked into its very structure.  This is the thing that makes the game unique, and makes people want to try the game in the first place, but it also makes them eventually want to stop playing.  You only live one hour.  It's right there in the title.

For the games that people get really hooked on, for the games that they play all night by accident, you don't usually play for only one hour.  Those games aren't broken up into convenient, stand-alone chunks.  Even in a permadeath game like Noita, "just one more play" is right around the corner, and there's no fixed time span for that next game.  In fact, most decent Noita games are LONGER than an hour.  But you don't know that going in---not for certain---so it's very hard to stop playing.

In OHOL, when you die of old age, that's a great stopping place.  Are you really going to start a new life?  Are you really in for a whole additional hour?  Probably not.  Especially since the "being a baby" part of the game is the least interesting part, and you're definitely going to have to go through that again.

Finally, there's the fundamental problem that every life happens in isolation, and it's not really building toward anything.  You can't (or shouldn't be able to) get caught up in your personal vanity project and work on it all night long.  I don't think that this is that big of a problem, since it's shared by every GAME OVER game in history, and that didn't stop them.

The known hour commitment is a hard one to fix.

The leaderboards help so that each life matters a bit more, and there is some sense that you're building toward something.  There could be more things like this.

In a game like Noita, the first part of each game is the boring part (the easy first level, where you go through the motions).  However, what you're doing there does matter, as you build a foundation for the rest of your game.  You want to play that first part optimally, each time.  OHOL is missing something here, since what you do as a baby really doesn't matter, and doesn't build a foundation for the rest of your life.

In Noita, just one more play means, "another roll of the dice, and a chance to build a perfect foundation for a really great run."  Maybe there's some way to fix this problem.

Regardless, I think that the structure of the game makes it fundamentally less compelling long-term than other games.

On the other hand, it also makes it much more meaningful, short-term, than other games.  Very few games pack the emotional wallop than OHOL does.  And I don't think there are ANY games that pack that same wallop reliably, over and over, the way OHOL does.  I mean, if you've seen a sad cut-scene once, you've seen it a thousand times.  But the end of each unique life is touching, as you say goodbye forever to this special situation and this particular configuration of people that will never exist again.

So maybe it's worth it?  To make such a game, even though it doesn't hook people and keep them playing for hundreds of hours?

I've heard the following story a number of times:

"My first life in OHOL was perfect and amazing.  My mother took care of me, and showed me how to farm, and my uncle took me hunting and fishing.  I helped to gather water, and then to build a house.  I had a few children of my own, and took care of them.  Then my mother grew old, and died, and I was devastated.  My uncle was next.  At the end of my life, I was surrounded by my children and grand children, and they all said goodbye to me and told me that I was a great mom.  I died at age 59.  Wow.  This was the single greatest experience that I've ever had with a video game.  The game can't get much better than this, so I'm going to stop there, and never play it again.  I had the full OHOL experience on my very first life."

I can't argue with that.  But then again, they weren't motivated to play again, right?

#39 2020-02-26 17:36:53

DestinyCall

Dodge wrote:

So you're saying an update that has been added recently gives clues on why numbers where going down before that update was added, but numbers are going down before and after the update, you make total sense...

I think what he is trying to say is that the same problems have been present in this game for a very long time and, rather than making the game better, those updates are perpetuating the same issues forward in new forms.

We got rid of the Rift, but it was immediately replaced by race restrictions, tool slots, etc.

One step forward, two steps back.   The illusion of progress without real forward movement.   Too many restrictions and dead-end mechanics that narrow choices.   Jason tries to force a particular style of play instead of allowing the playerbase to self-direct and create their own interactions, free to live interesting lives no matter where they are born.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-02-26 18:25:17)

#40 2020-02-26 17:52:28

Dodge

Seems pointless to try to explain anything... guess it will be self explanatory once it hits that point.

Anyway i disagree that having only one hour life is a real limiting factor to maintain players, some type of players yes maybe, but if each life you live is unique, interesting, hookes you in etc then maybe you will stop after only one life that day but you will come back some other day to play another life and another day for another one.

Regarding making baby lives a little more interesting i posted a sugestion on fug's thread about professions, it's not much but makes it slightly more interesting than now.

#41 2020-02-26 18:15:41

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Dodge, I think you're missing something about how people play games, and the patterns that they fall into.

Not quitting right now is HUGE, whether or not they ever come back tomorrow.  The reality is that life intervenes for a lot of people, and they forget to come back.  Tomorrow, there's another game to try, or some other real-life thing that occupies their mental space.  All you know is that you have their attention now, and you need to do your darnedest to keep that attention now.

Now, it's not admirable to be trying to capture a player's attention at all costs like this, but this is what separates successful, mega-hit games from the less-successful ones.  That's the game we are playing, as developers in a competitive market.  Well... "market" isn't the right word here... we're competing for mindshare, and winning there means we win in the market as a side-effect.

It's no coincidence that OHOL is my most successful game and ALSO my only game for which more than 80 people have played for more than 1000 hours each.  It's my "hookiest" game, but just not quite hooky enough.

But yes, without totally throwing out the structure of OHOL, the way forward is to make the individual lives as compelling and unique and fascinating as possible.

Oh, there's one other huge problem.  I set out to make the most comprehensive crafting game of all time.  A small slice of the gaming populace loves huge crafting trees, but most people don't.  It gives them the, "I'm never going to learn all of this, and why would I bother?" feeling.

I can improve the crafting hints or whatever, but the fundamental problem stands.  Most people are not interested in learning the 25 steps it takes to make a fire.  Most people aren't interested in learning to make 3000 (or 10,000, eventually) objects.

That was probably a huge design misstep on my part.  I was looking at existing crafting games, and thinking, "oh, you guys like these crazy crafting trees?  Well, I'm going to give you the craziest one you've ever seen."  I was pandering, because I'm not personally into games with obscenely complex crafting trees.  My eyes glaze over, and I think, "I'm not going to bother to learn all this."

On the other hand, I was solving a problem that I saw in existing crafting games, where you couldn't learn the recipes because they were unstructured and arbitrary (25 wood plus 60 stone plus five rope makes a hatchet).  They never felt like making stuff.  I wanted to make a game where it actually felt like you were making stuff, step by step.  You all remember how to make a fire in OHOL?  You'll never forget.  You all remember how to make an axe in Don't Starve?  Even if you played the game yesterday, you've already forgotten.

Now, if I could go back in a time machine, I don't know that I would have found an alternative structure for such a collaborative civilization game beyond crafting.  There may be no better form for the game to take.

But there's no doubt, in my mind, that it turns people away from the game.

Most of my (designer) friends have never even played OHOL.  There's a reason for that....

#42 2020-02-26 18:28:16

Dodge

Regarding crafting the only solution i see currently with how the game is would be some command like "/make bowdrill" and your character would automatically make a bow drill if available base ressources where around him or tell you what ressources are missing so you could collect them and type again "/make bowdrill" to make it.

Not sure if it's possible or even a good idea but that would solve the complexity of learning crafting, you would just tell someone "hey can you make a fire pls" and they would type "/make fire" to be able to make it instead of having to learn the xx number of steps to it.

Last edited by Dodge (2020-02-26 18:29:14)

#43 2020-02-26 18:45:53

Tipy

Jason I think you didn't understand me correctly. In this allegory this person came to me and asked me for sulfur, because he needs it for his town survival. I did not ask him for latex or palm oil but instead gave him the sulfur for free. You may ask why I did that? Well why not? Sulfur has no value to me it takes almost no work to get (other than going to a spring and clicking it) and I can very easily get me more sulfur. There is no trade, no social challange, he didn't do anything to get the sulfur other than walk a very boring journey (for real travel in this game is sooo boring and sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying). There was no fun in that. Now you may ask why didn't I ask for anything in return? A) What can he even give me? You may say latex but does this person have time for this? He is a traveler overall who has great distances to go through and considering I am asking for latex he needs to be brown which means no horse. He has no time for that, he wants to have fun and not wasting his time getting 4 rubber tirres that will get used up in two minutes, and what if he is white or ginger? He has nothing of interest to me then. Even if he is willing to give me latex I would still give the sulfur for free because well, I don't lose anything and get to make somebody happy. Why would I be a dick and refuse to give him sulfur? Even if I refuse him he can still ask others to give it for free and they will most likely or just steal some if there are in town and nobody will bet an eye. Is this a fun social interaction? No there bearly was one. The problem of getting sulfur is not the negociation but simply finding people, which is just boring. Now the meta is just staying in one big bell town with nothing to do in. Why? Well eves rarely spawn and pseudo eveing is a death sentence since the hard part is collecting the 4 races together. This is just boring. Shouldn't a videogame be fun?

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#44 2020-02-26 19:20:18

SirCaio

jasonrohrer wrote:

Oh, there's one other huge problem.  I set out to make the most comprehensive crafting game of all time.  A small slice of the gaming populace loves huge crafting trees, but most people don't.  It gives them the, "I'm never going to learn all of this, and why would I bother?" feeling.

I'm getting kinda worried here, does all this mean that we are not getting any more complex recipies? Cause that is more than 75% of the game's appeal to me, personally.

#45 2020-02-26 19:53:47

Mekkie

jasonrohrer wrote:

Our village is going to need rubber soon.  I was born into a dangerous situation.  There are no specialists immediately around, so that means that I need to find some.  Maybe these maps and waystones will help, or maybe they're outdated.  If I'm successful, I really need to document the location of the helpful specialists for future generations.  This is very different from me just walking into the jungle and slashing a rubber tree life after life.  Instead, I'm finding myself in a unique and challenging social and trans-generational situation life after life.

So instead of slashing trees every life, you're spending every life running around looking for people. 

How exactly does this break monotony?   It's just a different (and more frustrating) form of the same.

#46 2020-02-26 20:28:08

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

"My first life in OHOL was perfect and amazing.  My mother took care of me, and showed me how to farm, and my uncle took me hunting and fishing.  I helped to gather water, and then to build a house.  I had a few children of my own, and took care of them.  Then my mother grew old, and died, and I was devastated.  My uncle was next.  At the end of my life, I was surrounded by my children and grand children, and they all said goodbye to me and told me that I was a great mom.  I died at age 59.  Wow.  This was the single greatest experience that I've ever had with a video game.  The game can't get much better than this, so I'm going to stop there, and never play it again.  I had the full OHOL experience on my very first life."

I don't believe that Jason has heard this several times, but even if he has, it's likely a story laced with sarcasm, or one designed to persuade people not to purchase the game.  Remember, there's a long history of people not liking his changes.

jasonrohrer wrote:

You all remember how to make a fire in OHOL?  You'll never forget.

My recollection is that I didn't remember every step for how to make fire the second time that I made fire.  More certainly, I've made radios a few times and I don't remember all of it.  I've also made bottles, which end up close to fire in terms of complexity in an advanced plce, but don't currently remember all of the steps in making bottles.  Paper is perhaps an even better example, as it wasn't until I had done several batches of paper that I remembered every step with respect to making paper.  No, Jason's game does not work as he claims it does with respect to memory.

jasonrohrer wrote:

But yes, without totally throwing out the structure of OHOL, the way forward is to make the individual lives as compelling and unique and fascinating as possible.

Jason isn't going to be doing that, since he wants and will continue to have almost everyone get born as a dependent child.  And he wants parenting to work by predominately birthing a human player.  And there's a long track record of making the game more monotonous such as the changes involved in the temperature overhaul, the bigserver change leading to almost entirely large families, The Rift, grindy or boring situations which came about as a result of tool limitations and hair-based restrictions, and more.

Oh, and he's not happy with how late-game food need has worked.  So, he's more likely to make late-game food need more like the early game, which seems likely to result in different lives feeling less unique.

Danish Clinch.

#47 2020-02-26 20:31:49

Spoonwood

SirCaio wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm getting kinda worried here, does all this mean that we are not getting any more complex recipies? Cause that is more than 75% of the game's appeal to me, personally.

Personally, I bought the game after watching people play on Twitch for a while.  In other words, I started because of 'free advertisement'.  Half of the appeal was seeing some of the humor of KibbleBits making a 'circle road' and running people around it, and saying "I love you" to "her" children to get them to say "I love you" back.  The other appeal was seeing the crafting involved in the early game.

Danish Clinch.

#48 2020-02-26 20:36:42

DestinyCall

Mekkie wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Our village is going to need rubber soon.  I was born into a dangerous situation.  There are no specialists immediately around, so that means that I need to find some.  Maybe these maps and waystones will help, or maybe they're outdated.  If I'm successful, I really need to document the location of the helpful specialists for future generations.  This is very different from me just walking into the jungle and slashing a rubber tree life after life.  Instead, I'm finding myself in a unique and challenging social and trans-generational situation life after life.

So instead of slashing trees every life, you're spending every life running around looking for people. 

How exactly does this break monotony?   It's just a different (and more frustrating) form of the same.

My conversation with a new player BEFORE the race specialization update:

Newbie - "I need to make rubber.  How do I do it?"
Me - "First you need a knife.   I have one. Also a bucket.  Can you grab it?   Then we need to go to the jungle.  There is one outside town, I think." ...  "This is a rubber tree.   I cut it with the knife.   Now add the bucket.   Great!   While we are here, let's get some palm kernels.  We will need them later." .... "Okay, we got the latex and we made some palm oil.  But we also need some sulfur.   It is in the desert - the brown biome with snakes.   Let's go get some." ... "Nice!   We have everything we need.   Add the sulfur and oil.   Stir with this skewer.   We are almost done.   Now let's go cook the tire in the kitchen." ...  "We did it!  Congratulations, son.  You did a great job.   I can die happy."
Newbie - "Thanks,  mom.  Love you!"
Me - "Love you too.  Bye!" (Dies of old age)

My conversation with a new player AFTER the race specialization update:

Newbie - "I need to make rubber.  How do I do it?"
Me - "Find a black person."
Newbie - "How do I find a black person."
Me - "You don't."

#49 2020-02-26 20:55:19

Ilka

Jason, you're probably right - this game is too complicated to be a big success.
It's also very unusual, so it's unlikely to attract typical players.
But, unfortunately, your decisions that were to make the game more interesting were generally wrong.
I know you wanted to give us a challenge and hence the idea of races, tool restrictions.
It works quite the opposite - life in the game has become very boring and repetitive.
We live in cities where there is everything and we do not know what to do.
Build another unnecessary building?
Ride horses and look for abandoned cities?
Nothing we do is important because the only thing the city needs is oil.
Only gingers can get oil.
However, losing all your life looking for oil and building a platform is even more boring.
This is not a challenge - it is pure frustration when you either cannot do something or you have to do something that does not interest you.
I wish the times abundance of water (and gasoline) were back.
When it was possible to make villages around cities.

And when we had a choice how we want to play ...

#50 2020-02-26 21:13:07

Coconut Fruit

I lost faith. Jason doesn't hear our screaming.

I used to play this game for many hours a day. It was a fun game, I like survival games.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

Board footer