One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-02-21 17:36:03

DestinyCall

Re: Donkey town in ruins after players run to their bell.

I think it is important that DonkeyTown not be a desirable destination.    And I also think it is important that it be completely separate from the main play-space.     No "get out of jail free" card.

Personally, I think it should be on a designated server, instead of a distant corner of our own world.    Twenty six thousand meters is clearly not far enough away, if you have a bell to follow.   Or if you have a plane to fly away in.   

As far as whether or not DonkeyTown should mean complete isolation from other people .... I think that playing alone is a fitting punishment for griefers, but I don't think it is strictly necessary for DonkeyTown to work as intended.    My main point is that DT shouldn't be a better play experience than the base game and it definitely shouldn't be a reason to grief.    If you find yourself in DonkeyTown, you should be thinking "shit, I done fucked up".

#27 2020-02-21 18:06:54

Legs

The idea of "punishment" is archaic and immoral.

Justice is corrective, not punitive.

Loco Motion

#28 2020-02-21 18:20:31

DestinyCall

Kilian wrote:

I do not think that anyone would grief to get into Donkey Town if it is on a separate server. Otherwise, one could simply play on a low-pop-server.
The prospect of being surrounded by griefers is not really appealing to most players, I suppose. Especially because curses do not push the griefers away from them in Donkey Town.

For example I got myself there in order to reset the whole server with an apoc. Can't do that if DT is on a separate one wink

I would rather first investigate if we see a sudden increase in griefing of people basically asking for DT-entry-tickets...
... and then: You got rid of them, anyways.

My time in DT felt very lonely, oftentimes. The only fun I had was when interacting with others there who actually did not grief. But we had to constantly fight off one or two annoying people who were simply destroying stuff. I would not call that a desirable environment.

I'm not worried about a Donkey Town server being a desirable vacation spot.  In fact, if it was up to me, anyone could join the Donkey Town server at any time.   The difference would be that donkeys could ONLY join that server.   It wouldn't be an exclusive server, only accessible by donkeys.    Rather, they would be excluded from the other servers, so all they have available is the DT server.   It could operate exactly the same as any other server in the game ... except that your curses are pretty meaningless.

I also find it amusing that you question whether or not people would intentionally get cursed to join DonkeyTown if it was a desirable location, while providing anecdotal experience related to doing exactly that.    Clearly, if someone wants to visit DT in its current state, the easiest path is to get yourself cursed.   And the easiest way to get cursed is to let people catch you griefing.   I'm not making some kind of crazy deductive leap here.    That is why I think it is important that DonkeyTown remain an undesirable destination.   If it is a nice place to live or provides you with a strategic advantage (like a safe base far away from your victims), people WILL want to go there and they WILL do stupid shit to get cursed and abuse the system.    That shouldn't be happening.   

Moving DT to a separate server would help cut out a lot of the potential exploits.   So would spacing out the donkey spawn locations, so forming a belltown is no longer possible.    Or changing the spawn algorithm to only spawn vanilla-flavored donkeys so they can't reach end tech alone.

There are many ways to solve this problem, but it is a problem. 

Legs wrote:

Feel free to build a re-education center in Donkeytown to reform the griefers.    After their 30 day sentence, they will be welcomed back into polite society.

#29 2020-02-21 19:10:50

The_Anabaptist

Legs wrote:

You make a very good point.  If Donkey Town isn't teaching players to play within a given set of accepted norms, then Jason might as well setup the game to do the following:

"if no mothers are found available to birth you due to curse restrictions, then you are returned to the login screen with a message stating that fact and then given a notification that further login attempts will be ignored for a given number of hours or days.

The_Anabaptist

#30 2020-02-21 19:21:38

Legs

To begin with, the system was never intended to institute defacto 30-day bans. It's meant to be a 1-hour time out, or potentially a few hours if you get a LOT of curses at once. The fact that it's acting the way it is currently is only because of curse abuse and a broken system. There are so few towns and such a large area ban for births that it breaks the don't-spawn-here mechanic and sends people to donkey town accidentally.

When the runner Ada family relocated out towards donkey town, donkeys were being born normally with them. Their time-out had expired but the broken 30-day area bans still prevented them from being born outside of donkey town. This is a broken mechanic.

Loco Motion

#31 2020-02-21 19:25:56

DestinyCall

Just let a donkey curse you.   Then you can't be born in Donkey Town.

Problem solved.  :-)

Board footer