One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-18 02:25:39

ninjanick

Adjustments to curses and SID mechanics

I'm sure this is a tired topic by now, but I'm optimistic that the recent changes to curses mean that Jason is open to feedback about them. There are still a couple glaring issues with the curse system, at least one of which is directly influencing SID/runner babies/'meme' score.

1. First and foremost - cursing somebody should be done via command (/curse [name]), not normal speech.

Age-related restrictions on cursing don't make sense. Mothers can curse runner babies so that they can't be born to them again and reduce gene score further. Why can't babies curse mothers that abandon them? This is especially a problem when you are born to the same person multiple times and abandoned multiple times. The mother is doing more damage than the runner babies, but is completely untouchable. We need a "/curse my mom" for babies.

2. Babies that SID shouldn't have their gene score penalized.

Right now when you SID, it's mostly because you get born into a shitty situation (objectively or in your own opinion). Mom on a horse and never turns back for me? I'd rather SID, but I get penalized either way so I may as well wait around so she takes the hit too. The problem is, that hurts the rest of the family. Maybe she's trying to start a new village and has a ton of kids that she can't take care of already. Staying would destroy my gene score...but SID does too. It's a lose/lose situation. And there's no option to take pity on a mom that is out in the wilderness gathering iron or oil, even if she's already trying to juggle kids.

3. Babies that SID (not runner babies) should be un-curseable after death

There's no valid reason to curse a baby that SIDs anymore. They drop worn clothing, don't put birth on cooldown, etc. All the penalties to the family for an SID have been removed, but the punishments for babies remain. With the decrease in curse cooldown and increase in their effect, quite a few people on discord have experienced donkey town or limited birth mother options despite not griefing at all, including me. This is probably the only situation where the use of a curse is completely unjustified.

4. Unrelated to the above points, bells need to have a minimum proximity. Having three in one town is just silly, and they spam literally everyone on the server. 100 or 150 tile radius would be enough.

I'm "Lowest Meme Score" on the discord server.

#2 2020-02-18 03:10:07

Melea

Re: Adjustments to curses and SID mechanics

ninjanick wrote:

1. First and foremost - cursing somebody should be done via command (/curse [name]), not normal speech.

2. Babies that SID shouldn't have their gene score penalized.

3. Babies that SID (not runner babies) should be un-curseable after death

4. Unrelated to the above points, bells need to have a minimum proximity. Having three in one town is just silly, and they spam literally everyone on the server. 100 or 150 tile radius would be enough.

Agreed.

Though I can understand why SIDs are penalized - Jason has stated more than a few times that the intention for this game is to NOT choose your life and instead to play through the random lives you get. SID babies subvert the intention of the game, but since people are gonna force-die anyways by being an annoying runner baby at least the SIDs mechanic doesn't penalize the mother as much for her child's suicidal nature. Users of /die still are gaming the system, basically...so a penalty is understandable. Maybe exchange the gene score hit with something like a 5-minute delay before you can be reborn? Still a deterrent, but some people might prefer that to the lowered gene score and less tool slots.

#3 2020-02-18 03:33:47

ChickenBatnana

The whole thing would be easier the way (i believe) it was before. /die hurt your score, however, if your mom had not picked you up it didn't. That way horse moms were not punished, nor were the kids, and everyone was good. I don't understand why it was ever changed.

#4 2020-02-18 04:13:51

fug

Yes, the curse mechanic should be a command and not left up to an age restriction. It's left as it is because Jason finds it interesting that curse Mo Mo only requires age 11 and curse PrinceAndrew Opperheim requires age 28. The whole situation is annoying and honestly babies should have the safeguard to curse their mothers. Due to the birth changes you can potentially spawn on the same woman who will knock your points multiple times.

Babies get sid penalty to prevent people from spamming /die repeatedly. Whether I agree or not I'm not sure but just lowering life tokens would allow someone to pick a (fun) life and not worry about needing to sid 30x.

Sure, I don't see reason to curse sid babies 99.9% of the time. I generally only see this occur when a mother is getting rapid fire /sid babies and just wants to punish someone randomly.

Lel, I can't wait for the bells grids he'd have to put out to make that change though.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

Board footer