One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-15 00:49:49

TheRubyCart

In the Post I hate specialiations, Jason said he might warrant disease

It's Quite Interesting, Diseases, Like,

Some Diseases may stop moving or make it harder, same with talking and using items
May make you feral and make you kill without weapons

Also, I'd like to imagine like, for Example

Two Races react to it Normally (Whites & Browns)
While one has a worse reaction (Ginger)
And the other race is more resistant (Black)

Imagine the Death, Panic, and even massacre?

BTW diseases could also kill ya

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#2 2020-02-15 01:01:55

fug

Re: In the Post I hate specialiations, Jason said he might warrant disease

Imagine needing to "trade" to climb the tech tree but all you get is aids because you can't understand the other family.

Diseases to keep people from living together is him just cheesing people from ignoring race specialization in the same lazy way as doing dropsy mechanics plus illness was implemented instead of buffing stuff for races vs just taking things away.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2020-02-15 01:11:57

DestinyCall

Next update - Birth defects!

#4 2020-02-15 01:14:25

Cantface

I really hope we don't get diseases, unless like Gogo said maybe for afk players lol.

I also don't mind more animals/bugs like spiders/frogs/rodents maybe arctic foxes that could carry different diseases but having it set to a 'race' is silly. Maybe it should be certain new fruits that only grow in special biomes or poisonous flowers/psychedelic honey with a chance to be stung while harvesting? I don't know, something fun!

Breasticles

#5 2020-02-15 01:23:44

TheRubyCart

TBH, I thought more people would talk about some symptons and its severity, what races to die when born too, and how to eliminate it, It could also be randomly generated symptons, and players would name it like, The Ginger Plague, The Griefer Scourge and finally the C h e e s e t o u c h

Also We have the Yellow Fever already in the game yall

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#6 2020-02-15 04:38:20

TheRubyCart

Like, Imagine this.

In a future of these diseases, There is a government called "John State" The blacks rule the state, The Gingers are locked in a contained area to prevent plague spreading, gingers that try to escape are killed, or unleash a whole lot of disease among the society if escaped, 3 Generations later, The Head of state makes agreement with griefers, to eradicate the gingers, for more room for jobs and houses, and to eliminate the threat of disease.

Great novel right there

#7 2020-02-15 04:55:43

fug

That's not how the game plays or will ever play though. While you're welcome to dream up all these crazy situations the game has been stagnant for almost two years. This is a berry farming simulator that sometimes lets you do fun activities based off the color of your skin now. Not once out of my three lives today did I get to play a race I wanted and in fact got black twice.

I'd recommend something like ss13 if you wanted something close to ohol with all the whacky shenanigans parts.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#8 2020-02-15 04:59:38

TheRubyCart

fug wrote:

That's not how the game plays or will ever play though. While you're welcome to dream up all these crazy situations the game has been stagnant for almost two years. This is a berry farming simulator that sometimes lets you do fun activities based off the color of your skin now. Not once out of my three lives today did I get to play a race I wanted and in fact got black twice.

I'd recommend something like ss13 if you wanted something close to ohol with all the whacky shenanigans parts.

I knew this would never be like this, It was just for imagining what it COULD (But probably wont) be like
Also that game a bit laggy for me

#9 2020-02-15 06:05:24

DestinyCall

If we are just tossing out crazy ideas, then I'm game.    The medical side of OHOL is a real joke.  It would be nice to see it developed into a full system.   

A few possible vectors for disease:

Dead bodies - If left unburied, human and animal remains will become "diseased".   Diseased bones produce clouds of carrion flies that operate similar to Mosquitoes, except that they "die" after a certain number of moves, like dogs.    If you are bitten by a carrion fly swarm, you will contract a random disease.    If your village is plagued by carrion flies, you should build a graveyard and clean up the dead faster next time. 

Rotten food - Leaving uncooked food out for too long can lead to decay and food poisoning.   Rotten food eventually decay into "mush".  You can still eat mush .. but you really shouldn't.   It's gross.  Uncooked meats carry the highest risk of food poisoning and it decays the quickest, but veggies will also rot eventually.  Nothing lasts forever.    Except Twinkies (Bread loaf + Banana cream).

Swamp water - Using pond water for food preparation can also cause food poisoning.    Unsafe water should be boiled over hot coals first to remove contamination.    Some recipes are safe, even if you use bad water, because the food is cooked after adding the water.   The primary symptom of food poisoning is significantly increased hunger drain.   It can be rapidly fatal unless treated right away.

Livestock - Close contact with sheep and other livestock carries a risk of disease.   Diseased animals act differently and might attack their handlers.   They should be separated from the flock until they return to normal or slaughtered.   Meat from diseased animals may be unsafe, so it is better to not eat it.    If a diseased sheep/cow bites you, then you will catch a livestock-related disease.   You should see the village healer immediately for treatment.

Dogs - There is a small random chance that a dog will become rabid for no apparent reason (Nosaj did it).    Rabid dogs act just like angry pitbulls, except they also froth at the mouth.    There is no cure for rabies.   Don't let the dog bite you!   Rabid dogs can be shot with arrows.

Blood -  Treating wounds or handling a bloody knife can expose you to blood-borne illnesses.   You have a chance to catch the disease if the bleeding person is a carrier for a blood-borne disease.   Disease carriers have no symptoms, but have the ability to spread the disease to new people who will either become another carrier OR start showing symptoms immediately.     You can also catch bloodborne diseases after being bitten by mosquitoes or carrion flies.

Mother/Baby -  Some blood-borne illnesses can be transmitted from mother to child at birth.    This can be especially dangerous to the baby, since their pips are so limited.   

Tattoos - Tattoo needles can transmit diseases between people.    If a tattoo needle is used on an infected person, then used again on a healthy person, the second person will catch the disease. 
Sterilization with alcohol (wine) or heat (fire) will stop the spread of disease.  Be sure that your tattoo artist knows what he is doing before you get some sick tats!

Physical contact - Close contact with an infected person increases your risk of contracting diseases that can be spread by physical contact.   If you stand on the same tile as an infected person, you have a small chance of catching the disease for each second that you share the same space.   Also, if you do any transitions involving the infected person (like feeding, treating wounds, swapping clothing, etc), there is an increased chance of catching the disease.   Standing on the same tile while behind a tree doubles your risk of catching contact diseases.   

Airborne -   Some diseases cause the infected person to do a "sneeze" emote.   When this emote happens, anyone within a three tile radius of the infected person will catch the disease.

#10 2020-02-15 06:24:25

TheRubyCart

DestinyCall wrote:

If we are just tossing out crazy ideas, then I'm game.    The medical side of OHOL is a real joke.  It would be nice to see it developed into a full system.   

A few possible vectors for disease:

Dead bodies - If left unburied, human and animal remains will become "diseased".   Diseased bones produce clouds of carrion flies that operate similar to Mosquitoes, except that they "die" after a certain number of moves, like dogs.    If you are bitten by a carrion fly swarm, you will contract a random disease.    If your village is plagued by carrion flies, you should build a graveyard and clean up the dead faster next time. 

Rotten food - Leaving uncooked food out for too long can lead to decay and food poisoning.   Rotten food eventually decay into "mush".  You can still eat mush .. but you really shouldn't.   It's gross.  Uncooked meats carry the highest risk of food poisoning and it decays the quickest, but veggies will also rot eventually.  Nothing lasts forever.    Except Twinkies (Bread loaf + Banana cream).

Swamp water - Using pond water for food preparation can also cause food poisoning.    Unsafe water should be boiled over hot coals first to remove contamination.    Some recipes are safe, even if you use bad water, because the food is cooked after adding the water.   The primary symptom of food poisoning is significantly increased hunger drain.   It can be rapidly fatal unless treated right away.

Livestock - Close contact with sheep and other livestock carries a risk of disease.   Diseased animals act differently and might attack their handlers.   They should be separated from the flock until they return to normal or slaughtered.   Meat from diseased animals may be unsafe, so it is better to not eat it.    If a diseased sheep/cow bites you, then you will catch a livestock-related disease.   You should see the village healer immediately for treatment.

Dogs - There is a small random chance that a dog will become rabid for no apparent reason (Nosaj did it).    Rabid dogs act just like angry pitbulls, except they also froth at the mouth.    There is no cure for rabies.   Don't let the dog bite you!   Rabid dogs can be shot with arrows.

Blood -  Treating wounds or handling a bloody knife can expose you to blood-borne illnesses.   You have a chance to catch the disease if the bleeding person is a carrier for a blood-borne disease.   Disease carriers have no symptoms, but have the ability to spread the disease to new people who will either become another carrier OR start showing symptoms immediately.     You can also catch bloodborne diseases after being bitten by mosquitoes or carrion flies.

Mother/Baby -  Some blood-borne illnesses can be transmitted from mother to child at birth.    This can be especially dangerous to the baby, since their pips are so limited.   

Tattoos - Tattoo needles can transmit diseases between people.    If a tattoo needle is used on an infected person, then used again on a healthy person, the second person will catch the disease. 
Sterilization with alcohol (wine) or heat (fire) will stop the spread of disease.  Be sure that your tattoo artist knows what he is doing before you get some sick tats!

Physical contact - Close contact with an infected person increases your risk of contracting diseases that can be spread by physical contact.   If you stand on the same tile as an infected person, you have a small chance of catching the disease for each second that you share the same space.   Also, if you do any transitions involving the infected person (like feeding, treating wounds, swapping clothing, etc), there is an increased chance of catching the disease.   Standing on the same tile while behind a tree doubles your risk of catching contact diseases.   

Airborne -   Some diseases cause the infected person to do a "sneeze" emote.   When this emote happens, anyone within a three tile radius of the infected person will catch the disease.

MY SYMPTONS IDEA WOULD GO PERFECT WITH THIS, THANK YOU, WE NEED TO GET PEOPLE ON THE SUGGESTING SUBREDDIT, AND GET THIS POST POPULAR FOR PEOPLE TO TELL EVEN MORE GREAT IDEAS, TYSM!

Last edited by TheRubyCart (2020-02-15 06:24:46)

#11 2020-02-15 14:06:26

Cantface

I like the ideas except the dog one. Dogs already get a bad wrap in this game breeding them is so pointless.

Breasticles

#12 2020-02-15 14:52:49

Chestburster

Funny to see space station 13 mentioned here. I absolutely love that game and I've been playing it since around 2012. My favorite job has always been medical doctor and much of the time I tend to be the best doctor online especially on servers that have complex medical systems and more emphasis on surgery.

Most additions to games that include a more complex medical system are good in my book. Though in this game something like having different diseases and ailments with their own cures may be too detrimental and more difficult to manage of a feature to have commonly inflicted on players. I predict a lot of situations would happen where people might not even know if they are diseased or that disease is even a feature and become terribly confused as to why they start walking slower or suddenly die.

Back to the topic of the whole family specialties and enforced trading thing, Jason only brought up disease as an thought up example of what could possibly be done to not have families just band together for resources instead of trading with each other. The solution could end up being so many other different things that aren't disease.

I feel like I'm in the minority here, but I actually really want trading to be necessary for certain resources. I'd love to see it happen where at some point things can get more political with things like trading, diplomacy, justice, and leadership. It just needs to be implemented in a way that doesn't make it an inconvenient pain but something more interesting and fun to establish and get running.

The problem is that trading setups aren't really something that you establish and build up on through several generations like most progression in this game. Most of the time you just spontaneously find yourself urgently needing rubber or oil. So you run around everywhere looking for someone who can get it. Then you run out of time finding someone, steal it from somewhere, or actually find someone and take the supplies back to your village. That is until you run out again and either someone of that race joined your village by now or someone else goes and repeats the same process a couple hundred years later. Because its usually an urgent task that the player wants to do immediately, and because it tends to be a good amount of time before you need that resource again, people probably wouldn't have it in their minds most of the time to take the time to make it easier for the next person to do it.

If there more of a drive for players to better establish streamlined trade routes and communications, it'd become much easier to manage over generations and probably wouldn't be anywhere near as much of a pain as most players see it being now.

Last edited by Chestburster (2020-02-15 15:00:57)

#13 2020-02-15 20:49:23

TheRubyCart

Popular y e s

#14 2020-02-15 21:51:05

Gogo
Banned

Guys, do you realize that with race restrictions plus diseases we will be fucked? What if only capable ginger for oil will die or be paralyzed because of disease? Lol. We would wait for water longer, towns would be in even worse condition.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-02-15 21:51:35)

#15 2020-02-16 01:19:19

schmloo

Would be pretty cool to see plague doctors and medical researchers. Fitting with the idea of contracting a random disease from certain sources, maybe the disease has a certain set of variable properties, and early remedies can be made from wild, currently one-use plants such as rose madder and indigo, which hold matching properties, and once glass tech is reached, modern research of some kind can take place? Syringes for vaccinations, petri dishes, eg.

Last edited by schmloo (2020-02-16 01:21:50)

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#16 2020-02-16 05:20:44

TheRubyCart

Gogo wrote:

Guys, do you realize that with race restrictions plus diseases we will be fucked? What if only capable ginger for oil will die or be paralyzed because of disease? Lol. We would wait for water longer, towns would be in even worse condition.

That's literally the point of disease neutral

#17 2020-02-16 05:33:47

DestinyCall

schmloo wrote:

Would be pretty cool to see plague doctors and medical researchers. Fitting with the idea of contracting a random disease from certain sources, maybe the disease has a certain set of variable properties, and early remedies can be made from wild, currently one-use plants such as rose madder and indigo, which hold matching properties, and once glass tech is reached, modern research of some kind can take place? Syringes for vaccinations, petri dishes, eg.

Grind up roots and leaves into powders with a round stone and flat rock.    Create a herbal poultice by combining those powders with water and strips of cloth or tree bark.  Collect leaches from the ponds.    Practice blood-letting and trepanation to remove the evil spirits that plague your fellow villagers.    Burn incense and hang hexes to ward off disease and ill humors.   

The options are limitless.

#18 2020-02-16 05:46:28

TheRubyCart

DestinyCall wrote:
schmloo wrote:

Grind up roots and leaves into powders with a round stone and flat rock.    Create a herbal poultice by combining those powders with water and strips of cloth or tree bark.  Collect leaches from the ponds.    Practice blood-letting and trepanation to remove the evil spirits that plague your fellow villagers.    Burn incense and hang hexes to ward off disease and ill humors.   

The options are limitless.

I love how endless we can think of it :>)

#19 2020-02-16 08:13:48

JasonY

I think it'd be an interesting way of making towns a bit harder without changing too much or adding content.

Like disease could worsen in highly populated areas or long lineages. Plague hits the Belltown, killing off a large number of people with only these who got the treatment or weren't near town surviving the outbreak.

Need Content

Board footer