One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-02-09 16:53:34

DestinyCall

Re: Anti Armageddon Crew Needed!

And yet still we try.   Such is the fate of humanity.

#27 2020-02-09 17:36:17

Rose

Check who is born  and lives in South-East bell town at the end of main road (and its South outpost).The town is located and build against any logic of average player.

#28 2020-02-15 19:42:27

Chestburster

Punkypal wrote:
testo wrote:

Since when is trying to trigger the apoc the same as griefing?

In the venn diagram of OHOL gameplay, it's in a shared set.

EDIT TO ADD COMMENTARY"

Of course, to trigger at apocalypse it seems lots of tools, and clothing, and carts, and food and such all get stolen and taken to the far corners of the world where they are hard to return, effectively removed from the game. Players are murdered as babies to get the endstones.

Sure, a nice team of apocalypse bringers could stab and heal each other. Nobody actually has to die. They could all ride out to their spots naked, eating berries along the way, and return their horses before they die. They could have no impact or take nothing from other players right up until the reset is triggered.

But alas, that isn't how they operate. Stealing, murdering, and ultimately destroying everything everyone has built or is building? That's pretty greifey actually. The only way an apocalypse trigger happening not being griefing is when the world has been going for long enough, and something is messed up about that, and so a large segment of the players want it to happen. Like, for instance a couple resets ago when everyone was getting spread out 10k tiles because of the Eve spawn bug. I had a road built that was over 7k long but a fresh start seemed like a good idea. I don't think anyone really tried to stop the apocalypse that time. I'm not sure if anyone was especially bothered by it. But I'm sure whomever caused still got there via a road of greifer actions.

A lot of people who play this game need to learn what griefing actually is.

Griefing is when you do things for no reason other than to piss people off and ruin their game for your own amusement, plain and simple.

If a person's motives are for legitimate gameplay reasons or their own personal advancement in the game, and someone feels like their game was ruined in someway because of it, its not griefing. It doesn't matter if there are more peaceful alternatives. If the motive isn't to cause grief, its not a grief.

Stealing things from a town that you need and will use for your own settlement? Not griefing. Stealing things and hiding them for no reason other than to cause people to starve? Griefing.

Killing someone in the wilderness because its funny? Griefing. Killing someone in the wilderness because they have stuff you want and aren't willing to share? Not griefing

If someone wants to cause an apocalypse because they are sick of the same world and towns and not because they like wiping everyone's progess to cause outrage they are fully justified in killing their babies or whatever to make the attempt just as you are justified to try to stop them. Anyone who is able to keep the tower up for that many hours while preventing it from being torn down earns it at that point.

Also, anytime I see someone curse someone for something like stealing from their town and calling it "griefing" they always get a curse back from me. I guess it's their right to not have to play with people if they don't want them stealing from them, but I also don't want to play with people that enforce a hugbox where someone doesn't want to act out in the least for fear that they end up in donkeytown because of it.

Murder is this games justice system. Its better to use that to punish things that are more akin to in-game crimes, and curse for things that are actually griefing. Players that commit "crimes" are mostly just adopting a role or filling a need isolated to the current life they're living, and are mostly just normal players otherwise and not repeat offenders

Last edited by Chestburster (2020-02-15 19:54:42)

Board footer