One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-09 05:41:31

Morti

The Little Things

While watching an episode of Trey the Explainer tonight, my thoughts drifted towards One Hour One Life; to you; my family, to Jason; the designer, to the game itself
and the little things about it that I love.

There are many, but the one thing, I thought about the most, was the 1 letter per year, and how it represents the ever increasing difficulty of speech.

I'll try to explain what I mean.

The more we think, about typing, about writing, or about the value of communication itself, the more, descriptive, we have to be; the more complex, our thoughts become. We have more to say about saying. These thoughts, and others, give us more desire to speak, to draw attention, to that which is around us, that which has drawn our own attention. We find a thing attractive, and we coo and caa, boo and cheer. Maybe we laugh. Maybe we scream. But we draw attention, from each other, and use it, we direct it, at something of the world.

This is, not where I wanted to go with this post, but I realize it's still a part of what I'm trying to say.

We don't expect much of children, boy that sounds wrong, but when it comes to their insight, their knowledge and experience, their ability to convey to us, any thoughts what-so-ever on what they may be going through upon arrival into this world - a baby will never write an essay for a PhD, on, ANYTHING.

A N Y T H I N G

Not in real life, and probably not in this game, unless some comedian/pediatrician is up for a challenge. Not that I ever expect that, but I don't want to rule every possibility out. That said, maybe what a PhD or baby qualify as will change as well, and some day humans, might just do that sort of thing. Who knows. May off now. Back on track.
So, I love this, I love just this little thing we have to go through, and why -- why we do. It's, a leash to struggle against, until it's released or we break it. No, wait, it's not a leash, it's more like a rubber band we stretch - we stretch it with every word we learn - we stretch it with every year's worth of life's experiences that we tuck in our utility belt, for future reference - we stretch it with every effort we put into writing, and every communique that we put out to the world when we mold and shape it, with art, play, and, even the most casual of ponderances.

These thoughts take time.
We take time.
Our learning, takes time.

And it's a beautiful little thing, what it represents, that is a part of this game.

It's beautiful about what you and I, are.
Where we came from.
Where all the other children are
right now.

--

Feel free to share any of your thoughts about the little things.
About life, the game, your self.

I could just imagine a wikipedia page, or, some breakdown of the game, 20 years from now by some- one, saying "There were 7 "Little Things" (except they wouldn't say Little Things" they'd have some fancy game science term for it, friggin nerds) Where was I? Oh yes "7 Little Thing were first brought together, in the beginning, when a man created the heavens and the- oh wait fuck, I'm high.

Hey, hows it goin?

Why do people always say that when they are high? "I'm high." It's like "No shit. We know."

So yeah... just gonna post this now.

Thanks for reading.

wuPStYB.jpg]
I just walked a block away to pick this for you.
little things
H
TYMA
I
LOVE
YOU

Wait! I've done this so many times, in so many posts, I say I want to explain something, and I add thoughts, and then I forgot to say what I wanted to say.
It was something about trying to push out too much information as a child and sounding like a kid with some kind of disability or something, I don't know. Or maybe, maybe that's just what babies sound like. Maybe adults got you and I to talk, just, for a laugh or something. Then we mumbled baby gibberish back at them, and it made them happy, because they knew someone probably did it to them when they were babies, or, it made them feel good about being animals so intelligent that they could not only attain speech, but were atop a pyramid of cultural achievements so sound that it made language not only possible, but so ingrained that it was easy to dismiss as natural.

Something like that.

Here, have another picture.
RIXGZYx.jpg
I title this piece "TF IS Z?"

But it's not natural. Is it? I mean sure, exhaling and producing sound, we may call that naturl, but, language? L A N G U A G E ? All of it? The educational system? The cultural references? The mems? Surely, SURELY, you wouldn't say The Internet, is a natural thing? Me, sitting here, fingering a keyboard? Is this on par with the robin's song, the wolf's howl, or the crying of a doe for a fawn struck by a truck?

Did we make this medium? The internet, this electricity; the plunging of the letters with our fingers, vomiting thoughts into electric buckets for others to peer into?

It's such a little thing, this h key.

But with that, adventures, into love and kindness, begin.

H
HI
Hi, mom, how's your life going right now?
I hope you don't mind me popping in like this unannounced and all, but, I wanted to play the game and if it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate you bringing me along on your adventures.
What's that? We're two thousand meters from your destination? Well, that's okay. I love a good hunt!
What's that? You're naked and have no tools? Me too! Let's make some.
What's that? You're going to keep riding along and pretend like you didn't hear me cry, or see me fall to to the ground from your womb? Well, best of luck to you, I suppose.

Yeah.

It's rough when you want to play - no matter the start - and your mom isn't playing "I'm going to care for my kids, if it's the last thing I do."

--

I really want something beautiful, to win over this game. Something good. Something that encourages growth and protection
... love. I want love to win.

I do love you.
Every single one of you.
I play, because I want love to win the game.

And sometimes I don't play, because love isn't winning my life.

But thank you. Thank you for continuing to let me love you, and thank you, so much, to those that return that love.

That's what it's all about.

#2 2020-02-09 05:50:00

Legs

Re: The Little Things

/happy

Loco Motion

#3 2020-02-09 06:45:53

Farkin

I think I just od'd on shrooms, this isn't normal.

#4 2020-02-09 07:46:11

Saolin

Your banana peel has grown a serious amount of mold

#5 2020-02-09 23:41:45

Morti

Legs wrote:

/happy

I may have to use more emotes to communicate (is emote short for emotional note?) or, emotional commands? Though, I do like to say I love someone, rather than just typing ILY or /love, at least they are something. It can be difficult to say I love you sometimes, to some people, but it's worth typing it out. To me it feels like a bigger risk, with a bigger investment, and the payoff comes from deeper inside. I have seen some really beautiful people cry because of this game, for all sorts of reasons. I cannot presume, what it would take for all of you to be so happy, that you cry tears of joy, or, tears of genuine sadness, but I know what worked for me. I know how good it felt to continue breathing afterwards. The way the clearing of the moistened mucus membranes, helps to free your airways.

You know what they about having loved and lost, is better than to have never loved before? That just will not make sense until you've loved enough times, and lost enough times, that you value that the time, for you to have done both, is the most amazing thing of all. Life took a crazy amount of work to get up to us, and we're probably no where near the end of it; the end of all evolution, when life no longer makes mistakes, when it no longer dies adapting to the changing world, because it's so, understood, so, confined and scripted, that unknowns are as rare as people on the moon 50 years ago. Long past every single dystopian scifi future that has yet to be imagined, even the ones where people are so used to the monotony of determinism, that they invent random outcome generators, just to try and spice things up, but in doing so, discover the patterns that lead to how the seemingly never ending string of characters, generate their "random" number generator generators.

Where was I? Oh, yes, /happy, that certainly counts as one of the wonderful little things. Just seeing a baby appear is another. Seeing them smile (/happy) at a good joke is wonderful, seeing them frown (/sad) at a bad joke will fish the air out of your lungs with laughter.

Farkin wrote:

I think I just od'd on shrooms, this isn't normal.

Shrooms could certainly be considered one of those little things that make the game interesting. Considering what you and Legs have said so far, I suppose anything could. Guess we each have our own reasons, our own lists of little things, that make things interesting, for, why they are at the top of our lists from time-to-time. For some people mushrooms are probably up there at the top, on a regular basis, for something they represent.

Saolin wrote:

Your banana peel has grown a serious amount of mold

These plants are amazing.
tMNB9Ns.jpg

The genus is named Asclepias after Asclepius, the Greek God of Healing. Imagine the reason for that?
There are so many beautiful varieties. Even hear in my hometown, the contrast between the varieties that grow wild, and larger and more decorative ones, is stunning. Seeing the wild variety pop up in all manner of places, like in this case, a lot that has been for sale and vacant for dozens of years; it's a pleasant reassurance that the species is still managing to propagate after all it's time being treated as a pest plant by human beings. The lesson of love for the monarch despite hatred for the milkweed, continues to be a lesson humanity is learning. The delicate nature of the monarch, a good example of the delicate nature of the ecosystem, but also, it's persistence and resilience; and inspiration for anything alive smart enough to comprehend that message, and what it means for life itself on this planet, when compared with so many of the other conditions, on, and off, worlds throughout the cosmos.

As delicate and adorable as the nature of the fluffy wings of the milkweed seeds may be, the plant's tale is one worthy a hero of the Illiad or Odyssey -esque proportions.

But, considering that all life alive today is the fruit of a tree of evolutionary history, branching back in time equally as far, the same could be said for any species or specimen who's lineage has lasted this long. Not to belittle the fallen hero's along the way, like the dinosaurs that aren't still around as birds, but their legacy still exists in the adaptions we went through during their time, as they were so big and influential, that they were an environmental pressure unto themselves, us, and all life that didn't flourish as a product (or not) of their appetites.

Sometimes I just feel like typing - enjoy or forgive me for the long winded windings of these rivers of thoughts.

4h7Bgts.jpg

Sometimes I like sharing things I go out to collect for, you all, as I think of you, in much the same way as the closest of family.

Board footer