Saolin

Re: Genetic Score - how does it work?

Curse Snow Gay

That's some bad parenting.

#27 2020-02-08 03:39:23

fug

happynova wrote:

You know, there are times when I think the genetic fitness system, while not 100% perfect, works at least reasonably well, and could be a heck of a lot worse.

And then there are times, like right now, when I have bitten and clawed my way up to a genetic fitness score of 49 and am trying very, very hard to stay there even though it's difficult, and then this happens to one of my daughters, and I'm about ready to give up on the whole thing in despair.  RIP my tool slots, I guess.

Not you but your son Doc

http://onehouronelife.com/fitnessServer … l&id=28136

-12 from nieces and nephews, lucked out and had two live to 60 to make it a proper -10 point life. That's the biggest flaw with the current system right now. You can't tell me this dude is supposed to be able to tend to 28 kids (the sister had more but they properly SIDS instead of living in this nightmare.)

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#28 2020-02-08 03:48:57

Saolin

fug wrote:

[That's the biggest flaw with the current system right now. You can't tell me this dude is supposed to be able to tend to 28 kids (the sister had more but they properly SIDS instead of living in this nightmare.)

He can't completely but a high variance system functions as a long-term system, not a short-term system.  Over a large sample size helping people survive by providing accessible food and clothing and generally increasing the productive power of your village will help a player hover at a higher score, making the top of the ladder reachable when that player experiences a positive swing in variance.

#29 2020-02-09 10:47:43

happynova

Saolin wrote:

Curse Snow Gay

That's some bad parenting.

She could have done better, but that's just an impossible thing to expect anybody to handle.  I see she did fine with the first two, at least.  Can't exacly blame her if after they started popping out every two seconds she just gave up.

(Sadly, I had no idea where she took off to, so I wasn't around to help, but I would have been able to handle 28 kids, either!)

fug wrote:

Not you but your son Doc

http://onehouronelife.com/fitnessServer … l&id=28136

-12 from nieces and nephews, lucked out and had two live to 60 to make it a proper -10 point life.

Hi, Doc!  Sorry you got taken down with us.  It was worse for me, too, before the descendants who made it to sixty kicked off, but I think I'm still a long way from regaining those tool slots.

saolin wrote:

He can't completely but a high variance system functions as a long-term system, not a short-term system.  Over a large sample size helping people survive by providing accessible food and clothing and generally increasing the productive power of your village will help a player hover at a higher score, making the top of the ladder reachable when that player experiences a positive swing in variance.

I know that's the idea, but I think it probably really does still need a bit of tweaking.  I genuinely don't feel like there's a strong coupling between the effort I put in and the reward I get from it.   Maybe the changes Jason's made in this update might help, we'll see.  But otherwise, well, it became crystal clear to me last week that once I managed that second extra tool slot, no amount of above-and-beyond effort to keep my kids alive and my town functional would get me any further, whereas stuff that's completely unreasonable and out of my control, like my daughter getting spammed with insane numbers of kids, could tank my score instantly.  That starts to feel more like random unearned punishment than useful incentive.

I mean, I was hovering near the top of the leaderboard for a while there, and it doesn't really seem to have done very much for me.

#30 2020-02-09 17:02:41

Rose

The Genetic Score system works perfectly well to keep you in 6 slot cage.
I am constantly bouncing  up and down between 31 and 45 score points.

#31 2020-02-09 17:22:34

Cantface

I thought Jason rebalanced tool slots as well to account for the random ish score?

Breasticles

#32 2020-02-09 17:35:44

testo

Rose wrote:

Which is why most people like me don´t give a crap about the leaderboard.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#33 2020-02-09 17:49:48

Rose

testo wrote:
Rose wrote:

I also  "don´t give a crap about the leaderboard"  but do you enjoy your life in a 6 slot cage?

#34 2020-02-09 18:02:39

testo

Rose wrote:
testo wrote:
Rose wrote:

I also  "don´t give a crap about the leaderboard"  but do you enjoy your life in a 6 slot cage?

I hate both toolslots and family dumbness. Allow me to quote myself from the "curse my mother" thread.

testo wrote:

No we don´t need a curse for moms. Being cared and raised is a privilege and a gift, not a right.

You are barking at the wrong tree here, genetics and your super good score is not the problem because we shoudn´t be forced to care about it. The problem is toolslots. I am pretty surprised how people got inmediatly sold to the genetics leaderboard idea once toolslots were tied to it. Leaderboard sucks because it is random and your "good score" doesn´t mean you are a "good player".

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

Board footer