One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-31 15:49:08

DestinyCall

Genetic Score - how does it work?

Could someone explain how the genetic score is calculated?

I'm trying to figure it out, but I am having trouble understanding where the numbers come from and how it actually works in the current game-state.

#2 2020-01-31 17:20:03

Twisted

Re: Genetic Score - how does it work?

Super simplified version:

Gene score goes from 0 to 60. Everyone starts at 30

You die. You get points depending on your age at the moment of death. If you lived slightly longer than your current gene score you get points, if you lived a lot longer than your current gene score you get more points. Same logic is applied to losing points.

Your family member dies. If they lived longer than their average you get points, if they lived less than their average you lose points. The amount points you get or lose from them scales with your gene score. If they lived 10% longer than their average you will get very little points, but if they lived twice their average you'll get more points.

#3 2020-01-31 19:49:14

miskas

Does your little sister count the same as your kid?
Is there any weighted multiplier or all gene relatives are equally important?

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#4 2020-01-31 21:38:18

Rose

My daughter decided to starve at 11.

I was punished by her death loosing  -0.67. and she lost only      -0.50
I as her mother lived to 60 and got   +0.31 and she got from me +0.47
                                                     ______                             _______
After this game  -                      I :   -0.36                    She  :    -0.03

How is it possible? 
How the algorithm works?

#5 2020-01-31 22:13:34

Twisted

miskas wrote:

Everyone is equally important

Rose wrote:

After this game  -                      I :   -0.36                    She  :    -0.03

How is it possible? 
How the algorithm works?

You have a higher gene score than your daughter so you lose more points from early deaths, and gain less points from long lives. Your gene score is higher so the game's expectations of you are higher as well.

#6 2020-01-31 22:41:27

Cantface

Eek. This seems like if you're lucky and give birth to regular players you get high score and if you're unlucky and get a lot of new player bbs your score will tank. Very random and down to chance? Isn't there a better way? Now ppl are being forced to teach the same stuff over and over(while the town suffers) when onetech is perfectly easy to use and you can learn OUT OF GAME TIME. Whaddaloadofbull.

Breasticles

#7 2020-01-31 22:44:36

Rose

Twisted wrote:
miskas wrote:

Everyone is equally important

Rose wrote:

How is it possible? 
How the algorithm works?

You have a higher gene score than your daughter so you lose more points from early deaths, and gain less points from long lives. Your gene score is higher so the game's expectations of you are higher as well.

I haven"t lost from my death ( I lived to 60 and gain  +0.31 ). I lost from  HER  death  more then she. (and she gain from my life more then I)
How do you explain this?

#8 2020-02-01 00:03:40

Twisted

Rose wrote:

I haven"t lost from my death ( I lived to 60 and gain  +0.31 ). I lost from  HER  death  more then she. (and she gain from my life more then I)
How do you explain this?

I mean, I just did. You have a higher gene score than your daughter so your point gains are smaller and point losses are greater. Your daughter has a lower gene score than you so she gains more points from good lives and loses less from bad lives. The closer you are to either extreme (0 or 60), the slower your progress to that extreme.

Your point gain depends on YOUR gene score. When a player dies all players that are genetically relevant to them have their own gene score formula for gains/losses. Everyone will lose points or everyone will get points, but the exact number depends on their current gene score.

#9 2020-02-01 01:39:04

Legs

The system seems so backwards and luck based. Realistically there's not much you can do to keep your kids alive longer. Things like building up the town or teaching them provide intangible and arguable benefits to them. They either live or they die and you can't do anything about it. You can live to 60 every life, making very small personal gains but making huge losses from your children. You're punished for having a high score and rewarded for having a low one so it works to average everyone out around 30.

In practice it basically caps everyone at 7 total tool slots. You'd have to be a top 100 player to get those 7 slots, and a top 20 player on the leaderboard to make it to 8 slots. The genetic fitness system just doesn't work. Even after several reworks it remains completely broken.

Loco Motion

#10 2020-02-01 03:21:55

DestinyCall

I find this system very hard to understand and explain.   I don't know what someone's genetic score is, so I have no way to know if they are super important to my genetic score or not that important.  And if I get swamped with a bunch of offspring, like during an update or apocalypse, the score is pretty much doomed to take a big hit, no matter if I'm a super mom or a total deadbeat.

#11 2020-02-01 10:15:53

sigmen4020

Wait, as far as I can see from reading this thread, it very much seems like we’re back to the old system where a player’s average life span didn’t matter. Seems to me that it works exactly like the old system that Jason got rid of because it was too random.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#12 2020-02-01 10:39:05

Rose

Legs wrote:

The system seems so backwards and luck based. Realistically there's not much you can do to keep your kids alive longer. Things like building up the town or teaching them provide intangible and arguable benefits to them. They either live or they die and you can't do anything about it. You can live to 60 every life, making very small personal gains but making huge losses from your children. You're punished for having a high score and rewarded for having a low one so it works to average everyone out around 30.

In practice it basically caps everyone at 7 total tool slots. You'd have to be a top 100 player to get those 7 slots, and a top 20 player on the leaderboard to make it to 8 slots. The genetic fitness system just doesn't work. Even after several reworks it remains completely broken.

Its what I have noticed I now you confirmed  than I was right. 
System is design to keep you around 6 slots like in the cage.

It also created new kind of griefers . I call them score trolls. Jest look  at lives of ten players at the bottom of the  leaderboard.

I hate living in a cage.
I hate to be a slave to trolls.
I feel rebellious.

#13 2020-02-01 14:53:36

Twisted

Rose wrote:

It also created new kind of griefers . I call them score trolls. Jest look  at lives of ten players at the bottom of the  leaderboard.

There's no way to 'score troll'. If you constantly die as a baby the game will expect you to die young, which means that when you do actually die young your family loses very little score. If you get a baby from the bottom of the leaderboard and they live to age 10 you get points from them since their score is so low. If they die before that you will lose barely any points because they always die young.

DestinyCall wrote:

I find this system very hard to understand and explain.   I don't know what someone's genetic score is, so I have no way to know if they are super important to my genetic score or not that important.

You're supposed to take care of your kids and family, no matter what - that's the entire point of the system. If you knew who was important for your score you could take care of them and ditch your other babies in the forest.

sigmen4020 wrote:

Wait, as far as I can see from reading this thread, it very much seems like we’re back to the old system where a player’s average life span didn’t matter. Seems to me that it works exactly like the old system that Jason got rid of because it was too random.

It matters a lot. Having a kid who usually leads short lives live to 60 gives you a lot more points than having a veteran with the average lifespan of 60 live to old age. If your baby dies you'll lose fewer points if they always die young

Legs wrote:

The system seems so backwards and luck based. Realistically there's not much you can do to keep your kids alive longer. They either live or they die and you can't do anything about it.

Not true, you're only saying that because you don't care much about your kids. If you don't care about kids you shouldn't have a high score, that's the entire point of the system.

Legs wrote:

You can live to 60 every life, making very small personal gains but making huge losses from your children.

I mean, yeah? The entire point of the gene score system is to make you care about your kids, of course you'll lose points if your kids die young. Getting points from your own lives is just a small tiny bonus and an incentive to live longer yourself.

That being said the tool slot scaling is definitely off. It's supposed to go from 5 to 12, right now 7 is the de facto soft cap which is definitely not intended. It needs tweaking, I agree.

Last edited by Twisted (2020-02-01 15:01:19)

#14 2020-02-01 15:04:57

Twisted

For people saying that it's pure luck - the data is public. If you go to http://onehouronelife.com/fitnessServer … eaderboard you can click on any person. If you click on the top players you can see that most of their offsprings live to age 60. If the system wasn't working and if it was all up to luck the numbers would be all over the place.

#15 2020-02-01 15:17:15

Cantface

I have so much bad luck with bbys though? usually one of my kids ends up being a griefer almost every mum life and I have to assure ppl that it's fine to take them out even though my score will tank and I even take them out myself sometimes this includes twinning and trips. This system punishes you for that right? Don't think this system is great in its current form as it's literally chance and luck. If the game keeps me at seven or six I'll have to make the move to onelife custom server and be done with it as its frutrating as heck. As I understand it the gene score prefers you to not fight your own family no matter what so a lot of people are living nomad lives to try and farm peaceful points if murders start happening. Not great and as you say needs to be balanced differently.

It does feel awfully cagey that's for sure.

It's still luck based, even if you try feeding all your new fam members you will waste precious time so progress is slow (done on purpose?) especially if you try to teach em and even then there's no guarantee that they will survive when your back is turned or you're busy doing important work. It is luck based, you could get all new players or all regulars and that would effect your score.

Last edited by Cantface (2020-02-01 15:21:39)

Breasticles

#16 2020-02-01 17:13:18

Ilka

Twisted wrote:

For people saying that it's pure luck - the data is public. If you go to http://onehouronelife.com/fitnessServer … eaderboard you can click on any person. If you click on the top players you can see that most of their offsprings live to age 60. If the system wasn't working and if it was all up to luck the numbers would be all over the place.

I am the person who achieved one of the highest results (and 8 places for wow tools).
And unfortunately I confirm - it depends only on luck.
Once I probably prolonged my mother's (new player's) life when I followed her into the desert to bring alum.
However, I was not able to stop my daughter (also a new player) who wanted to start her own city.
And she died of hunger at the age of 11.
We play with alive players who will do what they want and will not always listen to our advice and warnings.
I always play the best I can and sometimes I'm falling from the board by several dozen places in one lifetime.
And sometimes I'm lucky and my "relatives" live a long time.
In general - the system is nonsense because the only thing we can influence is our own life, the rest is just a coincidence.

Last edited by Ilka (2020-02-01 17:14:22)

#17 2020-02-01 18:05:32

Spoonwood

Twisted wrote:

That being said the tool slot scaling is definitely off. It's supposed to go from 5 to 12, right now 7 is the de facto soft cap which is definitely not intended. It needs tweaking, I agree.

It still doesn't give good reason to keep all children in case of a population boom or a server restart where all Eves start from scratch (Eves who find abandoned towns, of course, will more easily have more resources for their children).  And it can't.  I mean, right now if an Eve keeps all her children out in the wild after a restart or when food gets tight in a town, then keeping too many children might mean that more of them starve or that she starves as happened to Eve Pie.  Also, tool restrictions work differently than biome restrictions in that tool restrictions don't turn off or on during one's life.  Apparently, whether they exist or not depends on the number of people on the server when the player logs into it.

On top of that the whole tool restriction system only works by negative motivation.  It only takes things away from players.  It isn't like players got anything extra by the tool restriction system, they only got limited on the basis of what they could do.  And only because they wouldn't look for a lower population context to play in.  It was never about making a more empowering experience for players in terms of what they could do or achieve in game, unlike content updates and some bug fixes.  And it wasn't based on any sort of evidence of what players were already doing *and* was working for them.  It was based on an a priori, untested hypothesis, which hasn't stood up in the light of empirical counter-evidence.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#18 2020-02-02 11:47:40

Rose

Ilka wrote:
Twisted wrote:

I am the person who achieved one of the highest results (and 8 places for wow tools).
And unfortunately I confirm - it depends only on luck.
Once I probably prolonged my mother's (new player's) life when I followed her into the desert to bring alum.
However, I was not able to stop my daughter (also a new player) who wanted to start her own city.
And she died of hunger at the age of 11.
We play with alive players who will do what they want and will not always listen to our advice and warnings.
I always play the best I can and sometimes I'm falling from the board by several dozen places in one lifetime.
And sometimes I'm lucky and my "relatives" live a long time.
In general - the system is nonsense because the only thing we can influence is our own life, the rest is just a coincidence.

I have 8 slots.
In one live I have lost 4 score points thanks to my great nephews and great great nephews.
I saw as one of them was running from his mam. This are the kids I call "score trolls".

If I am lucky I could rebuild my score but it will take many hours of play ( and only if none of this "score trolls" will be born in my family).

#19 2020-02-02 12:51:46

testo

Twisted wrote:

Unless you are counting force feeding players this is almost totally random imo, there is zero way to choose your relatives or they behavior. No wonder most of the offsprings of top players live to 60 duh, they are the ones at the top. Wheter they make something with their playstyle to account for it is the real question. Based on the changes in the top 100 and my personal experience this ranking is not just random but unfair.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#20 2020-02-02 15:27:59

miskas

I find it very rewarding to bond and take care of 1-2 kids of mine but It is truly unrewarding to just care about ALL my Gene relatives.
I am running all around the place doing force-feeding, onetech.info spam, delivering clothes and NEVER really play or talk with them, there is no time for it. My interaction with them is near zero. they don't matter cause all I do is feeding them and dress them.

Our kids have to matter triple the amount to our gene score and the importance of siblings and Nephews to be reduced. We need to bond with our kids and invest time with them.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#21 2020-02-02 19:13:38

Cantface

Being a OHOL streamer also gives a possible advantage on score. Even if you don't like ppl logging in to try and play with you they still will and they tend to gravitate towards you and even if you get a griefer/stream sniper people usually deal with it before there's an issue. Arguably the game then becomes easier and your score will obviously climb because everyone wants to be in your family and help for the most part. Only when you DON'T livestream do you play 'normally'. That's when your score will suffer. The rest of us suffer a loss almost every life.

We cannot force feed our family all the time, most of us can't get tool slots despite best efforts. If effort becomes futile then no wonder why ppl are moving to other servers, it's just not fun anymore. I've had a long break and still don't want to return lol. out of all the thousands of hours and so many happy lives/plenty of bad ones it was tool slots in combo with race restrictions which was the nail in the coffin for me so far. It just seemed like a blatant attempt to slow tech tree and ppl down to the point of struggle in the middle of a steam sale no less so everyone is scrambling and spreading thin desperately tryng to teach over and over and over. I don't think we needed BOTH tool slots and race restrictions. One or the other would have been fine I think.

Last edited by Cantface (2020-02-02 19:14:20)

Breasticles

#22 2020-02-03 06:19:03

Punkypal

Basically genetic fitness is broken and I now completely ignore it. I used to never use /DIE but now I do almost every time I play because I prefer to be male. Birthing other players is now a PITA that has zero upside.

Latest example of why it doesn't matter what you do. I just lived a life where my mothers sister (my aunt) had thirteen (13!) children. Every single one she left somewhere to die of starvation. There is nothing I could do about that to affect my genetic score. she ran off God knows where on a horse most likely. Even though I lived to 60, my score dropped nine points. Mom likely took the same hit.

Next life I could die as a baby and my siblings and their kids all could live long lives and I'll be back up nine points. I just adapt game-play to assume I'll always have six tool slots. Right now our #1 player is at score 50. I think that gets you seven slots total? And they got there via zero skill in their play, but dumb luck.

Who cares, there is no genetic fitness score. It's about as pointless as family war. Ignore it.

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#23 2020-02-07 21:34:42

Saolin

I haven't played since this current score system was put in place, but this sounds like the best score system we've had so far.  Sure there's a lot of variance involved, but rather than focusing on short term changes which will be highly random, focus on playing in a way that supports other players in general and the small positive impact this has will gradually snowball over time. Everyone is going to occasionally get players who tank their score for whatever reason an approximately equal amount (though cursing can help improve this too), but as a simple example, say you have a baby that is, unbeknownst to you, going to die young from starvation. Say at age 8. Now say you put some clothes on that baby while you were still caring for them at the fire, and instead now their food bar runs out slower, and they die of starvation at age 10 instead. They still have a negative impact on your score, but not as much. And consistently taking actions like this help your score in the long run even though it might be annoying at the time when that kid subtracts 3 points from your score.

#24 2020-02-08 02:48:44

happynova

You know, there are times when I think the genetic fitness system, while not 100% perfect, works at least reasonably well, and could be a heck of a lot worse.

And then there are times, like right now, when I have bitten and clawed my way up to a genetic fitness score of 49 and am trying very, very hard to stay there even though it's difficult, and then this happens to one of my daughters, and I'm about ready to give up on the whole thing in despair.  RIP my tool slots, I guess.

#25 2020-02-08 03:28:09

Cantface

Me and my old OHOL partner took one look at your family tree and cringed HARD. I'm sorry that happened nova, yikes.

Breasticles

Board footer