One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-05 02:40:07

Farkin

Books

The current writing system is pretty good imo, but if players are willing to document historic events (wars, collapses etc.) in great detail it's going to take alot of space to compile the documents. I think that if books or even scrolls were added to the game we would see further potential for libraries to play a part in telling the history of a particular town or family line. If books were to be added to the game I think adding in an additional date system (Where you can see when a book was written) would add to the significance of reading a book that was made by a player (or players) over generations of hard work and dedication. I also recommend that books can be made only with permanent ink pages, wool felt (to act as a cover) and maybe thread (to bind the book) so books aren't easy to make without dedication (books in a historical sense, were extremely difficult to create, considering the amount of effort and resources spent). This is probably the only topic that I feel strongly about, might not be the most popular but I think it would add alot to this game.

#2 2020-02-05 11:38:32

Tipy

Re: Books

The biggest problem with the current writting system is that when you put read a ''book'', which is just notes on a basket or slot box, you don't start from the begining but often from the end and read in reverse or somehwere in the middle.

Also I don't think books should use the elder quill pen since well, pick up age 55 and you also need black dye which requires both gingers and brownies to be made...
Like at age 55 you don't even have enough time to write a whole damn book

But yes books would be an amazing feature, which I sincearly hope we get

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#3 2020-02-05 11:56:17

Farkin

Tipy wrote:

The biggest problem with the current writting system is that when you put read a ''book'', which is just notes on a basket or slot box, you don't start from the begining but often from the end and read in reverse or somehwere in the middle.

Also I don't think books should use the elder quill pen since well, pick up age 55 and you also need black dye which requires both gingers and brownies to be made...
Like at age 55 you don't even have enough time to write a whole damn book

But yes books would be an amazing feature, which I sincearly hope we get

The elder quill pen isn't used to write the pages, only to make them permanent. So you could literally use the pen to make as many pages as you want permanent if you're quick enough with the 20 seconds it is usable.

#4 2020-02-05 12:59:11

karltown_veteran

Want to be able to bind paper together into books, would be so useful to our societies.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#5 2020-02-05 13:52:09

Tipy

Farkin wrote:

The elder quill pen isn't used to write the pages, only to make them permanent. So you could literally use the pen to make as many pages as you want permanent if you're quick enough with the 20 seconds it is usable.

Still I don't think only people at the age of 55 should be able to make books. I mean why only people at age 55? Like why limit who can make books for no reason at all. I am tired of this restrictions that aren't bases on someone's skill but luck. Sorry you can't make a book because you are a black person that cannot make black dye and even then you are too young to pick up a quill pen. Like whyyyyyyy? It's not as if people at 55 are less likely to grief, it's actually the opposite. At 55 you don't care if you get caught since you don't lose much if you get stabbed and I don't see books or pernement notes as a big way of griefing anyways

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#6 2020-02-05 19:08:59

DestinyCall

It would be nice if the age restriction on quills was reduced to 40 years old.   That gives you twenty minutes to finish your memoirs.

#7 2020-02-05 19:40:23

SpiritBomb32

Hey I made a good thread about this a while ago! https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8171

and personally I think that the max typing limit should double after 8 or 10. Im tired of,

"Were carrot"
"Where is tur
"key"
Other person: "What?"
"Turkey"
Other person: "What about"
"Where"
Other person: "south" "kitchen"

If Jason adds books it will make up the last 4 months of mostly nothing.

Last edited by SpiritBomb32 (2020-02-05 19:50:49)

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#8 2020-02-05 19:54:03

SpiritBomb32

Also, Jason should add it so that when the server restarts it begins a timer that counts the years, it would help with displaying grave deaths and book dates. Imagine finding eve from year 128 when the present year was like 12,202

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#9 2020-02-05 22:37:07

Farkin

Tipy wrote:
Farkin wrote:

Still I don't think only people at the age of 55 should be able to make books. I mean why only people at age 55? Like why limit who can make books for no reason at all. I am tired of this restrictions that aren't bases on someone's skill but luck. Sorry you can't make a book because you are a black person that cannot make black dye and even then you are too young to pick up a quill pen. Like whyyyyyyy? It's not as if people at 55 are less likely to grief, it's actually the opposite. At 55 you don't care if you get caught since you don't lose much if you get stabbed and I don't see books or pernement notes as a big way of griefing anyways

I do think the 55 minimum is annoying, when I began writing the majority of the texts in one of the belltowns it began to get annoying. I think the reason the age minimum is so high is to stop people from writing down useless garbage, the pages are permanent after all lmao. I believe the thinking Jason has adopted regarding this, (Which I don't agree with) is that people who have been playing a life longer than others (eg. elders) have better morals than younger people, hence the high age restriction. And I do agree with you that the minimum age should be lowered to 40-50.

Board footer