One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2020-02-02 00:35:57

Spoonwood

Re: Road Helpers Wanted!

Diagonal roads take fewer flat rocks than a road that runs straight and has a corner in it.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-02-02 00:36:10)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#52 2020-02-02 01:51:00

Jojigirl

Kinrany wrote:

Does the town have a name?

Not sure if he named it or not, but "Punky Town" would be a good name..  You know like the song Funky town, but Punky town because Punky built it. big_smile

Last edited by Jojigirl (2020-02-02 01:51:16)

#53 2020-02-02 01:55:57

DestinyCall

"Won't you take me to ... PUNKY TOWN!"

#54 2020-02-02 02:45:42

Legs

My cousin and I completed a road between eastern bell town and zucc town. It stops in a town between the two with an incomplete road between there and zucc, but there's not much work left to finish completely. A couple busy lives should do the job.

What I suspect is punktown is still around 1.7k tiles southeast so I don't see it being connected by road anytime soon.

Loco Motion

#55 2020-02-02 09:28:16

voy178

cordy wrote:

Is Punky Town the one with bear caves blocked by stone walls?

Spotted the griefer. The first thing they checked.

#56 2020-02-02 09:42:42

Pyroll

Lets Update to build Train to connect towns !
I am doing that, if you want to join !

#57 2020-02-02 19:00:53

Punkypal

cvos88 wrote:

Hey just to confirm something road related. It is better to go through harsh biome and keep a road straight than to go all the why around them, right? By piling up stones there and letting someone else finish it. Is anyone else getting a little frustrated with some of the crazy curvy roads? Or is it best to avoid things like jungle cause of the bugs? Anyways this is a plied for straighter roads!

And yea I agree that the new bell tower is fantastic! I think the best way to improve productivity is to have things organised in this game. No one wants to work in a messy town. But man when I see stacks of plates in the kitchen I just get that inch and I gotta fill them with pies!!!

I look way ahead and know where jungle is. I use that to help decide if I should move a road one direction or the other to go around bear caves, goose ponds, or berry bushes (I do not remove the latter two). I go straight through all other biomes and think straight roads is better for a long main grand road. Winding roads are cool for short roads. Anyway, If I get to jungle and have to cross a little of it, I take the time to "herd" all the bugs out of the smaller side of what's being crossed and build stone walls so it becomes safe to cross. This takes time and effort but it's part of the fun of the challenge of doing this to keep road straight.

----------------------------------------------------

Rose, I like the cow pen. I will add that as a needed "structure" to my design. I forgot that when I was in design phase. It's a good spot, near the kitchen.

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#58 2020-02-02 19:04:29

Punkypal

cordy wrote:

LOL, sorry to disaapoint, I'm not a griefer.

Was just gonna say...its easier to just kill the bears....since they don't respawn.

I support this town....made at least ten cisterns there. XD

I thought bears respawed after 24 hours. It that old way that isn't anymore? Many of those caves at least were blocked before any bears game out. Every settlement I've ever started, as an Eve or otherwise ALWAYS gets nearly destroyed because on of the first 10 children born will awaken and lead back every bear. My town was not going to have to deal with the 6+ bears at once plague per planning, and blocking cave is much easier than killing a bear. I can block a cave in about 20 seconds. I cant put three arrows in a bear that fast.

Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos

#59 2020-02-02 19:18:53

Punkypal

Spoonwood wrote:

Diagonal roads take fewer flat rocks than a road that runs straight and has a corner in it.

Again, NOT of you are trying to connect many towns, only of you are connecting TWO towns. If you are connecting many towns (that are slowly moving mainly Westward) the one main road with branches uses less stones because many travelers from whatever town, from A to B, or B to C, or C to D, ect will utilize the same path (the main road part). If four towns are connected, the common main road part of all of the network has 4x value. If five towns are connected, the main road part has 5x value. It also makes the road less likely to become obsolete. If one town in the network dies out, then only the branch section of the road becomes unused, not the entire road.

This all is made true due to how Eve's move westward and how far player towns spread. East/West they can be 4-5K apart, yet North/West usually less that 1k apart. If Jason's design was different, an actual spiral perhaps, then one main road may no longer be the best design for material efficiency, but because it is the way it is, then a main road is far and away the best design to get the most bang for your buck so to speak.

#60 2020-02-02 19:43:34

Spoonwood

Punkypal wrote:

Again, NOT of you are trying to connect many towns, only of you are connecting TWO towns. If you are connecting many towns (that are slowly moving mainly Westward) the one main road with branches uses less stones because many travelers from whatever town, from A to B, or B to C, or C to D, ect will utilize the same path (the main road part). If four towns are connected, the common main road part of all of the network has 4x value.

I don't think so.  And I've connected many towns also before and recently with often diagonally placed roads.  If you have a road running east-west and then branches north and south to 4 towns, you have extra roads that branch out up to the towns. 

Also, corners in the roads do nothing but need more flat rocks.  Diagonal roads suffice.

Danish Clinch.

#61 2020-02-02 19:45:06

Spoonwood

Punkypal wrote:

It that old way that isn't anymore?

Sometime during The Rift period Jason changed it so that bears don't respawn in caves.  So, One Cave One Bear.

Danish Clinch.

#62 2020-02-02 20:04:10

Gogo
Banned

I got some idea. If you use stone hoe on stakes you can leave a mark on ground to point direction (it will fade after some time). Stone hoe is easy to make in wilderness. If you can't end road, because of biome or old age, you can still leave info the road is under construction, go this or that way. If you were road builder surely you have some spare slot for hoe.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-02-02 20:06:34)

#63 2020-02-02 21:12:14

Rose

Gogo wrote:

I got some idea. If you use stone hoe on stakes you can leave a mark on ground to point direction (it will fade after some time). Stone hoe is easy to make in wilderness. If you can't end road, because of biome or old age, you can still leave info the road is under construction, go this or that way. If you were road builder surely you have some spare slot for hoe.

If you were road builder you need: Stakes   Axe   Shovel   Adze   Bow  ( sometimes Knife  and Mining Pick ) Its 5 to 7 slots.
Direction is easy - straight west or follow  the  tiles.

#64 2020-02-02 21:21:56

DestinyCall

And you can always lay out some extra stakes if you need to point people in the proper direction.

#65 2020-02-02 22:19:52

Spoonwood

Rose wrote:
Gogo wrote:

If you were road builder you need: Stakes   Axe   Shovel   Adze   Bow  ( sometimes Knife  and Mining Pick ) Its 5 to 7 slots.

No.  You only need stakes.  Diagonal roads can get built to avoid trees and other objects.  Alright, maybe you'll need to make a cart or would benefit from lassoing a horse.  But, stakes + whatever you want for a cart or horsecart.

Danish Clinch.

#66 2020-02-02 22:51:44

Rose

Spoonwood wrote:
Rose wrote:
Gogo wrote:

No.  You only need stakes.  Diagonal roads can get built to avoid trees and other objects.  Alright, maybe you'll need to make a cart or would benefit from lassoing a horse.  But, stakes + whatever you want for a cart or horsecart.

Even diagonal road should not zig-zag between trees.
Bow and Knife to kill wolfs boars and snakes.

Is there something else you don't  understand?

#67 2020-02-02 23:07:21

Punkypal

Spoonwood, I try to use visuals to show I suppose.

here look, you have four towns

A

B                    C

D

Your method:

A
      /     \
    /         \
  /             \     
B_ _ _ _ _ _C
  \              /
    \          /
      \      /
         D

18 segments needed to connect towns using diagonals for your way

Now my way:

A
          l
          l
          l
B_ _ _ _ _ _C
          l
          l
          l
         D

12 segments needed. 18 is more than 12, 50% more actually. It takes the SAME amount of time to get between A & D and B & C in both methods. With your method, getting from A to B or C or D to B or C is twice as fast, but again, at a COST of 50% more materials. And this is only with 4 towns, The more towns you try to ad into the equation, the greater the additional cost.

Considering just one primary road builder stopped making roads for about 4 days and there are zero towns connected and the road situation is a mostly incomplete chaos I'd say shortage of labor and materials are the bottleneck. Maximum efficiency of all connections is a luxury that can't be paid for. So YOUR way it turns out actually results in 5 roads that aren't (ever going to be) finished. It actually takes longer to get between towns on a road that isn't finished, than it does to get between towns on a road that's a longer, but actually complete. So my way technically is a faster route and less materials.

Do you get it now?

Last edited by Punkypal (2020-02-03 03:53:30)

#68 2020-02-03 00:56:46

Spoonwood

Rose wrote:

Even diagonal road should not zig-zag between trees.
Bow and Knife to kill wolfs boars and snakes.

Is there something else you don't  understand?

I've built plenty of roads around trees.  Killing boars and snakes can make it easier for people to travel on, but in terms of building the roads, it's not necessary.

Danish Clinch.

#69 2020-02-03 01:12:24

Spoonwood

Punkypal wrote:

Your method:

A
      /     \
    /         \
  /             \     
B_ _ _ _ _ _C
  \              /
    \          /
      \      /
         D

18 segments needed to connect towns using diagonals for your way

Nope, that's not my method.  I would build only three of those paths, not all 5 of them.  I would probably build from C to A, from A to B, and from C to D.  That would make for 9 segements using your scheme.  All towns would be connected, since there's still a road from town B to D, it just has town C as a midpoint.

I guess it would look something like this, were it all diagonal, which it won't be for the record, but still:

A
      /  \
    /      \
  /          \     
B            C
             /
           /
         /
       D

Punkypal wrote:

Now my way:

A
          l
          l
          l
B_ _ _ _ _ _C
          l
          l
          l
         D

12 segments needed.

12 is greater than 9.  You need more flatties to connect all of the towns by your method than I need.  By building that center road first, you've also forced the whole road building process into using at least 12 segments.  A diagonal road from C to A first doesn't do that.

Punkypal wrote:

Do you get it now?

Absolutely not.  You put words into my mouth, and made up a structure that I wouldn't build.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-02-03 01:19:58)

Danish Clinch.

#70 2020-02-03 01:30:03

Spoonwood

Also, the above pathing assumes good biomes for the road.  I will almost never build roads in a jungle, and when I do I'll place an object on every single road tile in the jungle.  I generally avoid deserts also.  If the road builder has some patience, after the road tiles get completed, every single tile on the road can have some object on top of them.  And then wolves, boars, snakes, and mosquitoes won't bother any travelers, unless someone moves something off of the road.

Danish Clinch.

#71 2020-02-03 02:10:04

Rose

Spoonwood wrote:

Also, the above pathing assumes good biomes for the road.  I will almost never build roads in a jungle, and when I do I'll place an object on every single road tile in the jungle.  I generally avoid deserts also.  If the road builder has some patience, after the road tiles get completed, every single tile on the road can have some object on top of them.  And then wolves, boars, snakes, and mosquitoes won't bother any travelers, unless someone moves something off of the road.

I would like to see how your theories work .
So ...   come and build something. There is so many towns in north that need to be connected.
( unless playing on bigserver2 is to difficult for you  an you are good only in talking)

#72 2020-02-03 05:35:54

Punkypal

Well Spoon, all I can say then is your road design is horrible and I'm glad you aren't on BS2 making roads.

With such a town layout you have essentially left B and D towns unconnected. Players would just run direct, rather than take the long, long route. You only got 33% more efficient but basically left out 25% of towns. Not a very good trade off.

You also lose any "landmark" effect you get from having a long flat road that's easily recognizable. If a player gets born to a mother running around in the wilderness and wants to make it back to a real town, and they do come upon one of your roads, it has zero stand out effect. Is this the main road or just another winding path going nowhere? When you move down a long straight road and you come upon one of the branches going off to a side town, a player that's been down that way before will recall that branch and where it leads based off the biomes and other player made markers at that location. You will know where you are for sure regardless of bells ringing or now. This can happen with a winding snake path, but it's much harder to remember. Waystones can assist with this, but now you need to add in the effort needed to make the maps, run to the stones, set them up. It isn't much time, but it's still time, and that cuts into any efficiency gains too. With limited tool slots doing this pretty much takes up an entire life.

In one full life I could have just laid a complete branch road of about 150 tiles. If that isn't enough to complete fully connected then with light spacing someone WILL complete it if that town is active. Boom, I just got a free helper. People don't naturally help on a snake road, It isn't clear where it's going or what the plan is. Others will generally leave it alone and not help. If they are road builders they are just as inclined to work on a road project of their own that may well duplicate efforts going to the same spot.

The longer a continuous flat road is the more players feel a desire to work on it. It's the same reason a big town will last and see people always building on it, and a tiny camp will get abandoned and nobody wants to take it over. If a project looks piddly and random, nobody wants to be part of it. Because of how logical my roads are, I compound my efforts by gaining helpers, sometimes too many. Because of this I can get far more road laid and more places connected. I simply could not achieve this with a zig zag snake highway.

#73 2020-02-03 05:37:29

Spoonwood

Rose wrote:

I would like to see how your theories work .
So ...   come and build something. There is so many towns in north that need to be connected.
( unless playing on bigserver2 is to difficult for you  an you are good only in talking)

I didn't assume bigserver2 in what I wrote.  So many towns that need connected, you say?  There's only 4 Eves that exist on bigserver2 at a time now.

Danish Clinch.

#74 2020-02-03 05:46:14

Spoonwood

Punkypal wrote:

With such a town layout you have essentially left B and D towns unconnected

In essence, they are connected.

Punkypal wrote:

Players would just run direct, rather than take the long, long route.

By no means do you know what every player will do.

Punkypal wrote:

With limited tool slots doing this pretty much takes up an entire life.

Huh?  You just talked about running around.  Running around doesn't require any tool slots.

Punkypal wrote:

In one full life I could have just laid a complete branch road of about 150 tiles. If that isn't enough to complete fully connected then with light spacing someone WILL complete it if that town is active.

There's no movement speed bonus from the light spacing.  And why are you using flatties anyways if it's just suppose to be a connective path?  Just use branches, flint chips, and all the other materials lying around.

Punkypal wrote:

People don't naturally help on a snake road, It isn't clear where it's going or what the plan is. Others will generally leave it alone and not help.

Pretty sure that ollj would say otherwise here.

Punkypal wrote:

The longer a continuous flat road is the more players feel a desire to work on it.

So now it's about having a longer road, instead of connecting towns?  That doesn't sound consistent.

Punkypal wrote:

I simply could not achieve this with a zig zag snake highway.

I don't think you know any such thing.  You don't speak the same natural language as some others who play.  And you simply don't know what the next batch of new players will be like.

Danish Clinch.

#75 2020-02-03 09:09:11

Jojigirl

I have to agree with Punky about the road design. When I first seen your design where you have to run through every town just to get from A to D, I instantly thought fuck that mess, I would just run straight across.

One life flies by, why spend extra time taking the long route!  I'm sure many other players would do the same, at least the vets and anyone who's played a good deal of time in the game would.  New players know no better, they would travel the long route until they realize it's a waste of valuable time..

Last edited by Jojigirl (2020-02-03 09:09:36)

Board footer