One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-30 06:34:09

Farkin

Current Curse System

I understand that curses are the only way to effectively stop griefers and it has been proven to be extremely effective. However, at the moment it is inevitable for players to gain the amount of curses required to put them in Donkey Town, just by playing the game normally without any griefing involved. I've been playing this game for a while now recently and people seem to throw curses around at just about anyone who they think has insulted or stolen their items (excluding obvious griefs). Over this time I've found that I've now gotten the minimum amount of curses to be eligible for DT (Donkey Town). When I got out of DT and began playing normally, another curse was thrown my way, because a player was adamant that the cart I was using was definitely his, even though there were five other carts in the town. This sent me back to DT where I had to wait another hour serving my "well deserved" time. I really think that the curse system at the moment is flawed, in that it doesn't give players a proper second chance to rejoin society for an extended period of time. Offending players should be rewarded for attempting to cooperate and become "straight edge", not punished the more they play the game. I may be wrong about this curse system, but this is just from my own experiences.

I'm not going to reply to all of the replies to this subject or give an answer to this complex issue, I just want to raise this topic for public discussion.

#2 2020-01-30 07:20:57

sigmen4020

Re: Current Curse System

Currently the curse system works like this:

Let's use an example:

Ketty curses Tom. Tom can then not be born near Ketty for a month, but Ketty can still be born to/near Tom. Currently both Ketty and Tom are online, this means that as long as Ketty is alive somewhere Tom can't get born within a 100 tile radius of Ketty. Tom lives another life and then gets cursed by Herbert. Herbert and Ketty are still online when Tom logs in again. This means that Tom can't get born within a 200 tile radius of either Herbert or Ketty. For each person that has cursed Tom, who're online the ban radius increases by 100. However this only counts if the people who cursed Tom is online. For Tom's next life Ketty goes offline. This means that Tom is no longer banned in a 200 tile radius, but rather a 100 tile radius around Herbert. For Tom's last life Herbert goes offline too. This means that Tom is now free to be born whereever he wishes.

Long story short, the cursed ceases to have an effect if the people who cursed you are online. The only way you can end up in DT with the current system if you get banned like this from all possible birth locations.

Also as a veteran who has played for more than 1000 hrs I barely ever get cursed, let alone enough for DT to take an effect on me, so for you to end up in DT you must be pissing some people off on a more consistent basis. Redemption might be slow, but all curses expire after a month, so as long as you only receive a few curses a month you should be in the clear.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-01-30 07:29:41)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#3 2020-01-30 09:04:15

Lum

Perhaps your definition of "playing the game normally" isn't sensitive enough to how other players will perceive you/your actions. You have to remember, they don't know your intentions, so maybe try using more communication before taking precious objects such as carts.

The obvious answer to this is "no time", or "too complicated", but if you really don't want to interact with others, Donkey Town might as well be a good solution, right?

Last edited by Lum (2020-01-30 09:04:44)

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#4 2020-01-30 11:37:05

Twisted

When someone curses you they prevent you from spawning near them for 30 days. The only way to go to Donkey Town is to be blocked from spawning literally everywhere else on the server.

There's currently 60 people online and you're blocked from spawning near any of them. Pissing off so many people that you have nowhere to spawn takes a lot of hard work and it absolutely cannot happen by accident.

#5 2020-01-30 11:51:42

sigmen4020

Twisted wrote:

When someone curses you they prevent you from spawning near them for 30 days. The only way to go to Donkey Town is to be blocked from spawning literally everywhere else on the server.

There's currently 60 people online and you're blocked from spawning near any of them. Pissing off so many people that you have nowhere to spawn takes a lot of hard work and it absolutely cannot happen by accident.

Remember that the curse range increases for every person online that has you cursed (100-200-300-400 etc.). Still think there's more to this story than "I got to DT by accidental random curses" tho.

#6 2020-01-30 11:57:27

Twisted

sigmen4020 wrote:
Twisted wrote:

Remember that the curse range increases for every person online that has you cursed (100-200-300-400 etc.). Still think there's more to this story than "I got to DT by accidental random curses" tho.

I'm aware of that, but people are fairly spread out and you'd need at least 10 (if not more) currently online people to have cursed you to go to Donkey Town. Getting almost 20% of the playerbase to curse you takes a lot of effort.

#7 2020-01-30 12:51:00

testo

No my dear man, the system is not flawed. Each curse was telling you: "This player is pissed off enough to want you away from him/her for 30 days". I would say you had more than a second chance, as others pointed out: at least 10 second chances. Tough luck if you didn´t get the memo.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#8 2020-01-30 13:23:44

The_Anabaptist

I still wish that my idea of getting notified when somebody you cursed didn't get spawned to you would be implemented.  I think it would help the player (and eventually most of the player base) learn just how often or infrequently their curses are actually triggering on their behalf.  (I'm not requesting to know when another mother who cursed baby got bumped, so only the cursed player would actually know how often they are ending up in Donkey Town for pissing everyone off)

The_Anabaptist

#9 2020-01-30 15:50:26

Legs

It says more about how many people are abusing or otherwise liberally applying curses than it does about cursed players being bad. You basically get one curse token every life. It takes one hour to generate and lasts a month. People don't understand how curses work exactly, they just curse people they dislike. A couple days ago I got cursed because I made clothes for myself before making pads. After getting sheep for the town, breeding those sheep, using my own tool slots and everything. Stuff like this happens often. The only way to avoid it is to stop playing the game for a month and that's not really a reasonable expectation is it? Don't like donkey town? Don't play the game.

Ironically I attract fewer curses when I'm -actually- griefing because then I have something to hide. Nobody notices and if they do it's easy to explain away. No I'm not wasting water with this bucket and adobe wall outside of town. I'm learning to build. No I'm not killing all the town's sheep to cut off food and clothing. I'm just slaughtering a few for pies. If anyone questions it? Curse them and go rally a mob to murder them. People are gullible, it's easy. Generally speaking curses tend to benefit griefers the most because they're not afraid to use it. You get one every life after all.

Loco Motion

#10 2020-01-30 16:08:35

sigmen4020

Legs wrote:

It takes one hour to generate and lasts a month.

You generate one curse token per 30 minutes, not per hour.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-01-30 16:36:02)

#11 2020-01-30 16:28:12

DestinyCall

I am very rarely cursed and only curse other players when they are obviously griefing.    In my experience, people who complain about always getting cursed "for no reason" are glossing over their own bad behavior or poor communication skills.   An occassional undeserved curse will have little impact on your game.   It limits your birth options in a small way.    You only get into real trouble if you routinely piss off the people around you or if you do something so bad that you attract a bunch of curses all at once.    And if you do that, you have earned your exile.

Instead of blaming the system, take a moment to consider your own behavior and be more considerate of others in the future.   This is a multiplayer game.   Social interactions are an important part of normal play.    Take the time to think about how your actions will be percieved by others before you act.   If you intend to do something sketchy for a good reason - like killing a griefer in the middle of town or destroying the forge to move it to a new location, be ready to explain yourself.

Don't expect other people to read your mind and know if you mean to be harmful when you do something dumb.   Don't assume that your goals are more important than someone else's.   Don't be a selfish prick or a racist asshole.    Nobody wants to play with someone like that.   And if they curse you, they won't have to deal with your bullshit for a whole month.

#12 2020-01-30 16:35:18

Legs

So what you're saying is, I should curse early and often. Once as soon as I'm old enough to utter a curse and again in old age. Curse them before they can curse you. That's the message you're sending.

By definition I am the only person that matters. My actions and opinions are all that matter. It's a multiplayer game sure, in the sense that I am the actor and you are my audience. Other players only exist to witness my glory. That's the only purpose they serve. If they conflict with that purpose, I will destroy them. That's how this game works. Cower and pray that I'm merciful in allowing your family's existence.

Loco Motion

#13 2020-01-30 16:41:47

sigmen4020

Legs wrote:

So what you're saying is, I should curse early and often. Once as soon as I'm old enough to utter a curse and again in old age. Curse them before they can curse you. That's the message you're sending.

Go ahead. Just don't expect people to take kindly to be cursed for literally no reason. And I don't mean "I go cry about it on the forum" sort of no reason. In my experience there's pretty much always something else to the story when people cry about being cursed on the forums.

Legs wrote:

By definition I am the only person that matters. My actions and opinions are all that matter. It's a multiplayer game sure, in the sense that I am the actor and you are my audience. Other players only exist to witness my glory. That's the only purpose they serve. If they conflict with that purpose, I will destroy them. That's how this game works. Cower and pray that I'm merciful in allowing your family's existence.

And...now everyone's well aware why you dislike the curse system. Your enjoyment comes first and everyone else's be damned.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-01-30 16:42:41)

#14 2020-01-30 18:42:40

DestinyCall

sigmen4020 wrote:
Legs wrote:

And...now everyone's well aware why you dislike the curse system. Your enjoyment comes first and everyone else's be damned.

And this is why I take Legs' claims of being cursed for no reason with a huge grain of salt.   I'm willing to bet that every time he got cursed, it was after pissing off multiple people in the village who DIDN'T curse him for acting like a twat.  And then one of them finally has enough of his bullshit and he is shocked and offended when they actually DO curse him.    He might not have noticed that he was doing anything wrong ... because he doesn't care what other people think or feel.    It's no surprise that he gets cursed, even when he is not actively griefing.

If you think that you are the only person who matters in your village,  you can expect that other people will want you to be born somewhere else next time.   We are trying to enjoy the game, same as you.   And we enjoy it more when assholes are far, far away from us.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-01-30 18:46:12)

#15 2020-01-30 19:34:11

Rose

Legs wrote:

Yes Legs, you should curse a lot.
Curse me Legs and I will enjoy to be born far from you.

#16 2020-01-31 14:41:49

Gogo
Banned

I was meant to write I've never been in donkey town, but right now I got there even if nobody cursed me in many of my previous lives so wtf ? ? ? Help! big_smile

#17 2020-01-31 14:46:14

DestinyCall

The current system remembers curses for 30 days, so it is possible that enough people are currently on-line who cursed you in the past to prevent you from being born into any of the currently active towns.    You might try back later to see if you able to get out - there's no set time that you are locked in Donkey Town anymore.  It's all based on whether or not the game is able to find you a valid birth location.   

Basically, it might not have been anything you did in recent lives, but your past mistakes catching up with you.

#18 2020-01-31 14:47:14

sigmen4020

Gogo wrote:

I was meant to write I've never been in donkey town, but right now I got there even if nobody cursed me in many of my previous lives so wtf ? ? ? Help! big_smile

Hmm. Maybe some people cursed you without your knowledge? Like at a range where you wouldn’t be able to see them.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-01-31 14:47:29)

#19 2020-01-31 14:56:26

Gogo
Banned

Creepy, I was polite all the time. OK, I'm just munching the damn berries.

#20 2020-01-31 15:40:47

DestinyCall

Gogo wrote:

Creepy, I was polite all the time. OK, I'm just munching the damn berries.

If you are stuck as an Eve anyways, you could check out the new vanilla-like custom server.   It makes solo play much more enjoyable.   You can build an awesome town by yourself.    Be sure to join the Discord, so you can meet your neighbors.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8990

#21 2020-02-15 17:35:15

mensrea

I haven't played much lately, my last few lives were all spent in the same large town. I got another curse, died, and spawned in DT. Spawned four more times there and gave up. I was cursed because I learned my knife skill on someone standing around. Then dropped the knife to take off my dress and put the knife under my dress into my pants. Clown comes up, tries to take knife, then I do murder sound real quick on their cheeky ass and put the knife away. Promptly am cursed.

I think the defense against my situation is to always curse people who curse another player. Their actions are detrimental to me.

#22 2020-02-15 17:51:20

Melea

mensrea wrote:

I was cursed because I learned my knife skill on someone standing around. Then dropped the knife to take off my dress and put the knife under my dress into my pants. Clown comes up, tries to take knife, then I do murder sound real quick on their cheeky ass and put the knife away. Promptly am cursed.

"Learned my knife skill on someone standing around"...so...just randomly stabbed someone? Why wouldn't some curse a rando that stabbed someone for apparently no reason, and then murder-mouthed another person???

Even if they were standing around not doing anything, that's not a stabbing offense IMO - just let them stand there and starve if a bit of AFK bothers you. Hell, I've had to leave my character chilling for a few minutes to deal with a RL pet issue, bathroom break, or just alt-tabbed to OneTech to look up a recipe. Standing still doesn't mean my character needs to die, damn.

If you must learn the knife skill to make sure you don't accidentally use up that slot on something else, then go kill a sheep. Making some mutton for pies is useful for the village and (unless you're killing off the last sheep in the pen) has no chance of getting you cursed. Unlike randomly killing other people's characters.

#23 2020-02-16 01:45:17

MrGold

For how long they stay on you should be lowered because 30 days is actually too much don't you think 30 days in donkey town lol.

Last edited by MrGold (2020-02-16 01:45:38)

Im Mr.Gold I /hmph

#24 2020-02-16 02:11:46

MrGold

cordy wrote:

says someone from donkey town..................................

When you least expect it you will be there

Im Mr.Gold I /hmph

#25 2020-02-16 02:34:18

DestinyCall

MrGold wrote:
cordy wrote:

says someone from donkey town..................................

When you least expect it you will be there

With any luck, you will never leave.

Board footer