One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-27 00:37:49

Flachzang

Suggestion: Natural Catastrophes and One more smaller Thing

Ok, I get it: It is a justified concern that once a big civilization is established, long term motiviation suffers as there is not really anything vital or new left to do anymore. The game becomes too easy and is a bit boring for all players with a lack of phantasy and role playing capability. A situation that is problematic and not easy to solve.

So how to face this problem? How to keep us pro gamers busy? Two obvious ways: Add more content on a regular basis than the players can discover or make the existing game more difficult for the players. Well, one single dev can not catch up with us players content-wise and hiring 20 more guys for content creation is expensive, so that leaves only one option: Difficulty adjustments.

The apocalypse, several restrictions, general nerfs etc. are all attempts to keep us at bay. Some good, some questionable. How about this one: Destroy everything the player has accomplished and built up so far with natural catastrophes! Wuuuah! Ok, seriously, hear me out first, because I can already see the steam reviews in front of my inner eye saying „it is good until there is a tornado that destroys all progress which sucks and I hate it and I have bad grades at school and I am confused about my sexual identity as recently I discovered new hair at...“ well and so on.

It‘s still gotta be fair, right? Maybe the catastrophes would happen for a reason. For example as a consequence of people’s behaviour. So chopping down trees in a too big extent will cause climate change, leading to a long massive heatwave that grills all berries and carrots in a big radius. Or make them some sort of public events, that are scheduled beforehand on fixed dates so players at least have the chance to prepare for the desaster. For example, by hauling all food indoors before it happens as only outdoor food is affected. That would attract a lot players into the game on those days and everyone would need to work together to survive. What about epidemic sicknesses that spread out because there are always dozens of dead lamb lying around in the pen and nobody throws them into a trash pit ever? Insect plagues? Earthquakes because you dug too deep for oil... lol.

At least one more smaller thing would be much appreciated: Allow us to stack two shoes to one pair of shoes. Thanks.

Last edited by Flachzang (2020-01-27 00:54:42)

#2 2020-01-27 01:04:29

Cantface

Re: Suggestion: Natural Catastrophes and One more smaller Thing

People would just go out of their way to make the destruction happen by chopping trees spawning lambs etc because it would be a great grief strategy. Other players would probably do the same on a bigger scale just because they hate the idea (rift/apocalypse all over again)

The pair of shoes in a stack is something I definitely can agree with however.

Breasticles

#3 2020-01-27 01:47:51

Flachzang

Ye alright, I was just brainstorming, you know.

But if not dead lambs, what about human corpses causing pollutions? Would give a reason to bury them and it is less susceptible to griefers. Moreover, what if the genetic fitness score also has an impact on how strong your immune system is, determining the base time that you resist against a epidemic disease? Griefer who tend to have rather lower scores would kill themselves first by triggering such an event while others have better chances to survive. Maybe you dont have to necessarily die from a disease and instead it only halves your food pips. Or you just get very bad diarreah from it that attracts lots of bears to the town.

And if not trees, what about...umm. Ok, you got me on that.

Last edited by Flachzang (2020-01-27 02:19:06)

#4 2020-01-27 03:46:41

Cantface

Lmao those pesky diarrhea Bears! ~ʕ>ᴥ<ʔ~

Breasticles

#5 2020-01-27 16:13:46

Cantface

I'm sorry if I came across as rude at all it's my bad, but it was so early in the AM for me so the bears and diarrhea thing made me laugh so hard I got a lil delirious. lol

Breasticles

#6 2020-01-27 16:30:35

JonySky
Website

Flachzang wrote:

Suggestion: Natural Catastrophes and One more smaller Thing

This was already proposed long ago:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4078

simple answer ... the game engine doesn't allow it ...

I don't think the engine changes, I'm sorry ...

Last edited by JonySky (2020-01-27 16:31:46)

#7 2020-01-27 17:08:06

DestinyCall

The engine does change - we didn't used to have a way to prevent people from interacting with certain biomes.   We also didn't always have languages.   

There's no harm in proposing interesting ideas.   You never know what might catch Jason's interest.

#8 2020-01-27 18:00:31

JonySky
Website

DestinyCall wrote:

The engine does change - we didn't used to have a way to prevent people from interacting with certain biomes.   We also didn't always have languages.   

There's no harm in proposing interesting ideas.   You never know what might catch Jason's interest.

Biome locks and languages do not require changes in the game engine ... but as I recall, natural disasters do require it
All ideas are welcome of course! Hopefully some of the ideas of the community will apply at some point!

Last edited by JonySky (2020-01-27 18:01:37)

#9 2020-01-27 19:34:08

Flachzang

Well I thought that for instance a heat wave could be simulated rather easily. Because there is already a temperature mechanic integrated in the engine and maybe you would just have to change a parameter from 5 to 10 for example (with the variable being the temperature level for a certain biome, of course).

But then again, I dont know the code so I could be totally wrong. Does not prevent me from dreaming though. After all, thinking outside the box can sometimes lead to interesting new ideas. Just disregard it, if it is not feasible.

Last edited by Flachzang (2020-01-27 19:39:19)

Board footer