One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-24 23:27:44

Chestburster

Goodbye genetic fitness

Spent a good amount of time building up genetic fitness only for it to tank by my 7 nieces and nephews who all starved in a town full of food before they turned 15. This happens all the time.

How do you even help these people? I know genetic fitness is supposed to make your relatives more valuable to you so you try to keep them alive but there are just too many people that just aren't smart enough to keep themselves fed even when given clothes and mountains of food. I want to be able to get my genetic fitness up.

Even new players should have zero problems not starving and I've seen it. You get plenty of flashing text and sounds and its not hard to know that you can just pick gooseberries or something. I can't think of anything else to do but literally stand next to these people and manually shove food in their mouths their entire lives.

#2 2020-01-24 23:31:33

DarkDrak

Re: Goodbye genetic fitness

It's called meme score for a reason

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#3 2020-01-25 01:02:40

Flachzang

The game is on sale now. There no harder job than being a mom at the moment. Raising score is even tougher with new players popping left and right.

#4 2020-01-25 11:58:15

Rose

I just lived in bell town. No problem with water, full berry bushes, big carrot farm, big wheat farm.

I made 32 various pies, hunted 6 turkeys, made 5 buckets of full milk.
I also collected many abandoned  bp and clothes from around the town and made 6 hat.

Everybody had bp, clothes, and town was full of various food and still I lost many score points because lots of kids manages to starve between 5 and 15 years old.
What else could I do to prevent it?

#5 2020-01-25 14:26:54

miskas

Talk to your kids, find the skill level of each kid, provide them what they need and teach them how to survive.
If I reach 1st position I will upload a guide.

Last edited by miskas (2020-01-25 14:27:52)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#6 2020-01-25 15:00:11

Lum

I'm willing to bet people wouldn't starve as much if the screen wasn't as zoomed. It narrows down your worldview too much.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#7 2020-01-25 15:06:23

Rose

miskas wrote:

Talk to your kids, find the skill level of each kid, provide them what they need and teach them how to survive.
If I reach 1st position I will upload a guide.

I was male.

I am not native english speaker - while playing I can write only few simple words.

#8 2020-01-25 19:41:16

Jojigirl

When giving babies and kids backpacks, put a pie in the BP for them.. Tell them they have food in their BP for when they get hungry.

If it is a Zoom problem, them having food on hand will help when they can't seem to find where the food is.  Also, I always show my babies where the kitchen is and then when they grow up, I drop them off at the berry bushes so they know where they are.

If the player seems newish, I randomly feed them when I go by them just to make sure they live. I do that with the town kids at times as well. lol

Last edited by Jojigirl (2020-01-25 19:42:34)

#9 2020-01-25 20:36:58

Flachzang

I always teach my kids or even random people, especially when they're new. But I just had a game as a female and had like 5 new player babies at once who all had their very first game. It's just too much to handle at the moment with the game being on sale.

#10 2020-01-25 20:40:33

DestinyCall

We could really use some help with integrating new players into the game.   It is frustrating that there are so few jobs that can be handled by new players and so many things that are too complex to explain in-game due to imposed limitations, like text limit, tool slots, and race restrictions.

#11 2020-01-25 20:48:13

Flachzang

Better ingame tutorials or more obvious instructions on third party websites would also help a lot by taking a lot of the load from the ingame teacher itself. Teaching ingame should still be a big important thing though.

The ingame tutorial could be divided into several "chapters" for example. One to generally survive and basic game mechanics, one for farming, one for smithing, one for clothing, one for keeping animals, one for oil drilling, and so on... Not so detailled so that the "being-thrown-into-a-sandbox-feeling" vanishes but enough to handle situations like today.

Last edited by Flachzang (2020-01-25 20:50:52)

#12 2020-01-25 21:42:14

Rose

Jojigirl wrote:

When giving babies and kids backpacks, put a pie in the BP for them.. Tell them they have food in their BP for when they get hungry.

If it is a Zoom problem, them having food on hand will help when they can't seem to find where the food is.  Also, I always show my babies where the kitchen is and then when they grow up, I drop them off at the berry bushes so they know where they are.

If the player seems newish, I randomly feed them when I go by them just to make sure they live. I do that with the town kids at times as well. lol

What  about twins who died on me just after I fed and named  them. They gave me  -1.7 . 

I start playing few weeks after OHOL was released.
We were naked in the wild, Zoom didn't exist,  but we have not starved if food was one screen away.
Nobody was teaching us because we ALL WERE NEW.

The game is not tough for new players at all.
It is tough for veterans.
Our hands was tied by Family Specialty than by tool slots and now we are punished by suiciding kids (even if they was born years after we died).

#13 2020-01-25 23:57:09

happynova

Sometimes there's really just not a lot you can do.

A little while ago, I had a newbie daughter when I was working on some important task that required leaving town for a few minutes. I don't remember exactly what it was.  Collecting water or scavenging a ruined town for rubber or something like that.  Something vitally important that nobody else was doing, and that would have taken longer to recruit someone else for than to do myself.

But I put that on hold.  I raised the kid carefully.  I gave her clothes and a backpack.  I showed her where  food was; there was lots of it.  I gave her a pie and told her what it was.  "Put this in your backpack," I told her.  "Right click to take it out.  Always have food with you.  Always.  Pay attention to your food meter.  Listen for when it dings.  Don't ignore it.  Always remember to eat, that's the most important thing.  Don't starve.  OK?"  She assured me she got it. 

"All right," I told her.  "Mama has an important mission.  I have to leave for just a few minutes.  You stay here.  Help out if you can, but your main job, until I get back, is just not to starve.  That's all. Then, when I get back, I'll teach you and help you with anything you need.  All right?  Can you do that?"  Yes, she said, she could.  "Don't starve!" I told her again, as I left.

I was gone less than five minutes.  Maybe more like three.  And by the time I got back, she'd starved.

I think, at some point, you just have to get philosophical about the newbie mortality rate.

That having been said, yeesh.  Yesterday I was #30 on the leaderboard, and I still only had two extra slots.  Which can be very easy to use up, especially when, you're in an early settlement where everything needs to be done, or surrounded by newbies who need help.  How stupendously lucky do you have to get to have the opportunity to be a useful jack of all trades?  Because making it to the very far end of the curve does seem to require a lot of pure luck. One life when your mom doesn't realize she's just reached menopause and won't put you down no matter now much you spam "O L D F F F O L D F!," and you're kind of screwed, it seems.

#14 2020-01-26 02:30:24

Rose

After nearly two years I am  "jack of all trades".
The Zoom is not a  problem. You need it only to travel long distances if you are looking for specific bioms. First time I instaled Zoom last week.

Yesterday I was #45 on the leaderboard, but... I have played a lot  today.
Someone find tarry spot, after he died I finish his work  and now it provides oil for few towns and our only bell town. I helped to keep them alive having babies, hunting  making tons of food, clothes, tools and rubber. I worked for others not for me.
Today after many hours of play I am #250 on the leaderboard.

I cant get more philosophical about the newbie mortality rate but losing tool slots hurts.
In almost every town when I was born (except bell town) i used to build tiny stone cow pen with two tables. For this you need 6 slots. (You need more to prevent town from collapsing ).

Last edited by Rose (2020-01-26 02:32:45)

#15 2020-01-26 12:45:12

Punkypal

So goodbye genetic fitness score
Where the pitbulls of one hour one life growl
You can't plant me in your pine house
I'm going back to my stone hoe
Back to the howling old wolf in the badlands
Hunting the rabbit family holes
Oh I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the genetic fitness score.

Last edited by Punkypal (2020-01-26 12:45:45)

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#16 2020-01-26 14:51:57

fug

Friendly reminder to just /die if you're born to a runaway camp. Lost 5.2~ points due to all my nieces and nephews that stayed behind and just died at camp.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#17 2020-01-26 17:23:20

Cantface

Just please spam onetech to new players and tell them to go there. I've said it before that it's almost impossible to teach every newbie kid that asks for help in this current game climate, if you try teaching people your whole life some important job will go undone and you could even doom your civ by teaching and doing little actual work that needs to be done for survival. It's not viable to teach right now at all, no matter what Dev ultimately wants or others saying that they enjoy teaching it's so chaotic and there's NOT ENOUGH TIME in an hour to do it. If your large civ has everything and isn't struggling for any resources then that's the only time you should be giving lessons imo.

When I was new and asking for help my first game ended with some dude taking me off screen and killing me instantly with a bow and arrow and from then on I knew I couldn't beg people to show me how to play so I just made it my mission to learn on my own. I suck at research and organisation but I made a list and made it work, I REALLY wish others would do the same rather than calling me a bad ma for being too busy to teach farming while our water situation is terrible lmao. You can explain that you need the water for farming all you want but they'll ree about it all the same.

Breasticles

#18 2020-01-26 17:47:17

Rose

Punkypal wrote:

So goodbye genetic fitness score
Where the pitbulls of one hour one life growl
You can't plant me in your pine house
I'm going back to my stone hoe
Back to the howling old wolf in the badlands
Hunting the rabbit family holes
Oh I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the genetic fitness score.

+1
It is beautiful.

Yes: " goodbye genetic fitness score"....
After loosing so many points yesterday I fell  FREE !!!!
I will go to nomad life. I can survive in wilderness as a naked 3 years old kid with some berries in a bowl or berry bush within sight.

#19 2020-01-26 18:58:38

DestinyCall

The key to happiness is letting go of your genetic fitness and embracing a minimal tool-slots existence. 

Accept that this world hates you and doesn't want you to succeed.  A couple of extra tool slots aren't going to fix anything.   Learn how to find satisfaction in doing half of what you want to accomplish in one life.   Narrow your focus and abandon your loftier goals.   You won't be able to achieve them in this life or the next.

It isn't as good as it could be ... but it could be so much worse, right?   Don't worry.  More updates are coming.

#20 2020-01-26 19:15:59

Rose

I just lived to 60 as a male in a town next to bell town.
Another 4 points down thanks to my nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews.
How they manages to starve between  full berry bushes plenty of carrots and 40 pies in the kitchen? (All within 3 screens)

#21 2020-01-26 22:06:01

Punkypal

Even more amazing considering all the clueless food wasters that run about attempting for force feed strangers pies. I assume that must be how some of my kids make it to a ripe old age of nine; because someone else fed them at least once. All the dinging they hear as they starve they must think is an alarm to let them know a truck somewhere is backing up.

I really don't bother to help them anymore. If they say they are new, I ask "did you do the tutorial?" "YES" they always say before they starve themselves. If you did the tutorial you were taught how to put food in yer face. If the're too stupid to go through a ultra basic tutorial and still learn nothing, then the sooner they quit the better I say. You don't really even need the tutorial. Basic game has two functions, right click and left click. They manage to know how to run all over and how to type but then can't figure out to click on a bush and then click on themselves? IDK, when I was a kid we all learned how to do very precise combos to make anything happen in mortal kombat and all without any tutorial or google search or YouTube videos. These kids can't figure out how to click an image with a mouse. SMDH

Last edited by Punkypal (2020-01-26 22:16:44)

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#22 2020-01-26 23:23:29

Rose

Do you remember  "berry munchers" ?
Now we have new generation who doesn't even know how to munch a berry.

#23 2020-01-27 08:56:54

testo

Rose wrote:

Do you remember  "berry munchers" ?
Now we have new generation who doesn't even know how to munch a berry.

I believe the overall player expertise has decreased in the last few months. Since the tutorial got butchered completely, new players can hardly be considered berriers. Even when they learn how to survive they still have to deal with tool slots (and that also makes it harder to teach them anything ingame).

At the same time you got the regulars that can´t even practice different things because of bio lock and tool slots. So they got stucked either repeating the same baker/lumberjack/hunter routine or gathering. And last you got the old experts that can just craft anything at a decent speed but they again, are stuck against the constrictions and have to even face the burden of forcefully having to ask for the stuff they can´t get themselves, instead of making faster solutions.  Even worst, most advanced players understand that toolslots lock them into a particular activity they should maximize (Example: using an adze to make a kit. If you are smart you have to make not one but at least 5/6 fences).

I don´t play too much in BS2 but nowdays everytime I do I see:

a)people that never leave the berry farm
b)people that run around with a bow doing nothing (not necesarily griefers, just new players trying to understand how to kill someone)
c)people running desperately to a berry tree while screaming "FFF" and running over pies, carrots, stew and all sort of food (I´ve seen my fair share of deaths this way)
d)people starving while doing a random job with food in their bags because they coudn´t reach a berry.
e)people trying to figure out how to make a hatchet when there is an axe in front of them

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#24 2020-01-27 10:11:03

JonySky
Website

I think you don't consider the main reasons for the premature death of the new players: boredom and frustration

maybe new players commit suicide on purpose to see if in other cities they get more fun

#25 2020-01-27 10:16:11

Lum

JonySky wrote:

I think you don't consider the main reasons for the premature death of the new players: boredom and frustration

maybe new players commit suicide on purpose to see if in other cities they get more fun

Sometimes I log in, realize after 10 years that there's nothing new, log out.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

Board footer