One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-26 19:18:10

SirCaio

Just bought the game for a friend - Asking the community for help

So I just bought this game for a friend and would like some tips and help with strategies on how to get a new player interested in it and general teaching advice. I'm planning on getting him started with the hetuw mod already installed and on a low population server for a less hostile environment. If there are any effective teaching methods for hooking someone new, feel free to share them!

Thanks.

#2 2020-01-26 19:26:19

DestinyCall

Re: Just bought the game for a friend - Asking the community for help

I'd recommend twinning on a low pop server so you can show him the ropes and teach some basic skills.   Beyond that, I think he will either like the game and want more ... or he won't.     I don't think there is any trick to it, beyond helping him to get over the initial very steep learning curve.

#3 2020-01-26 20:24:03

Flachzang

General teaching advice:
After telling him how important it is to always eat(!), first ask him what he wants to learn. So you will start off with a topic or mechanic that is especially interesting for him. It should still be rather simple though, so don't start off with building a camera. Small goals are easier to achieve and give positive vibes faster.

When explaining, you should let him do most of the actual work while you only give verbal instructions, imo. This way, he is not only watching but actually playing and learning by doing. Besides giving instructions, you can of course do some of the more tedious work for him which is also often involved, such as finding items in the cluttered mess, bringing him stuff, shoving food in his face, pointing out items by basketballing them on the ground and so on. Also be patient and don't take everything too seriously. If he rather likes to learn on his own, point out onetech, the wiki or YT to him.

Other than that, it pretty much comes down to what Destiny Call already said. Depending on how creative he is and how willing he is to climb steep learning curves, he will like it or not.

Last edited by Flachzang (2020-01-26 20:29:54)

#4 2020-01-26 20:38:07

DestinyCall

If you have discord or another way to communicate outside the game, that will make teaching muuuuuch easier.  .

Assuming he likes the game and understands the basics, I would also encourage you to try twin on the main server.   It lets you be in the same town together at the same age.   The downside of twinning with a new player on the big server is that he will probably starve a few (dozen) times while learning the ropes, which means killing yourself and restarting if you want to stay together.  Also, you are more likely to get identified as a potential griefer if your friend does something wrong by accident.   And being in a busy town will generally increase the danger of being murdered or getting separated.

But I would consider playing on BS2 the "real OHOL experience".  Playing on a low pop server is much calmer, but not as interesting in the long run.

#5 2020-01-26 20:50:11

SirCaio

DestinyCall wrote:

If you have discord or another way to communicate outside the game, that will make teaching muuuuuch easier.  .

Assuming he likes the game and understands the basics, I would also encourage you to try twin on the main server.   It lets you be in the same town together at the same age.   The downside of twinning with a new player on the big server is that he will probably starve a few (dozen) times while learning the ropes, which means killing yourself and restarting if you want to stay together.  Also, you are more likely to get identified as a potential griefer if your friend does something wrong by accident.   And being in a busy town will generally increase the danger of being murdered or getting separated.

But I would consider playing on BS2 the "real OHOL experience".  Playing on a low pop server is much calmer, but not as interesting in the long run.

Oh, of course, we'll be using Discord, and yeah I do hope he'll be interested enough to move on to the main server and most likely get confused with gimmicky mechanics such as property and leadership.

#6 2020-01-26 21:54:54

Grim_Arbiter

Play a game in front of him.

Get born and help your mom make black dye. Proceed to tattoo all the babies. Find a snake skin on the road outside of town and make the best item in game.. the fruitboot.. end up following the crazy long road going east. Have your last child on this road, and name him "tripton" because you just ate the last item of food in your bag.. a magic mushroom.. proceed to run back to town wearing jason hats as shoes on a road made out of boxes. Drop your son tripton next to the berries and see him say " nee.. d ..dre ss.. will kill" to your youngest daughter wearing a black dress. Proceed to shrug and run back on the long road going east. Hit a section of "trailers" named Sunnyvale trailer park. Find a wounded bear outside of town, and feel bad for him.. lure him back to the trailer park and get him into a trailer. Let him get settled in his new home and peace out. Head back home with a horse cart filled with various clothing goodies you found. Be an old lady close to death when you make it back. See a man running around with a knife wound wearing a black dress. Notice his name is tripton. Say "well tripton.. I guess you got your black dress after all" see him become worm food. Find a random child and yell in a mean joe green voice " hey kid.. catch!" And proceed to shower him with all the treasures you found. Then say peace and strip nude. Scream " im streaking!" As you run through the town for your final piano notes..

Ive just described my last life.

My friend who does own this game (he hardly ever plays computer things) said maybe I should start playing this game, after watching that pretty normal run for me.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#7 2020-01-27 10:09:05

Lum

Grim I admire your ways.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#8 2020-01-27 21:59:25

Grim_Arbiter

Lum wrote:

Grim I admire your ways.

You gotta live every life like your last haha.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#9 2020-01-28 04:51:48

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Don't feel bad if they don't get into it. This game is really unique and while we all like it, it's honestly not that fun most of the time. This game is practically a work simulator. The joy that comes from it is a gradual build up instead of the quick reward a lot of other games offer.

This game isn't for everyone, but I really hope you have better luck than I did getting my friends into it.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

Board footer