One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-21 21:13:40

Mekkie

A funny realization i just had while watching twisted's latest video..

White people make the best rulers, because they're the only ones who can talk to everyone. 

smile

#2 2020-01-21 21:53:28

DestinyCall

Re: A funny realization i just had while watching twisted's latest video..

It gets even worse when you imagine a white king ordering his colored followers to gather resources from their home lands so he can build a big city in the green.

Uncomfortable undertones of casual racism define the "family specializations" update

#3 2020-01-21 22:54:42

Mekkie

Yea, in today's video twisted was asking a black kid to farm glasswort for him and i just couldnt stop laughing.  I'm terrible, I know.. xDD

#4 2020-01-22 01:08:33

antking:]#

But over time this advantage gets smaller and smaller until it doesn't exist at all as families learn each other language

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#5 2020-01-22 01:23:39

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

White people are like bad players. They demand shit but never do it themselves.

You guys are the support team, make the pipes and charcoal for the gingers, gather the rope for the brown(buckets) and black people(lasso).

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#6 2020-01-22 15:20:25

voy178

antking:]# wrote:

But over time this advantage gets smaller and smaller until it doesn't exist at all as families learn each other language

Is that the natural progression of democracy I hear? Post-modern values as it were.

#7 2020-01-22 16:35:51

karltown_veteran

Actually gingers are rulers because they are the only ones who can make crowns.
Also Jason is trying to make ginger into a race. Ginger people are white too. The Arctic people should be Asian like Tibet.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#8 2020-01-22 17:19:20

DestinyCall

Or Eskimo

#9 2020-01-22 21:26:16

Punkypal

DestinyCall wrote:

Or Eskimo

...also Dude, Eskimo is not the prefered nomenclature. Inuit, please.

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#10 2020-01-22 21:56:49

DestinyCall

I feel like term Inuit is inherently problematic because it fails to encompass the Yupik and Aluit people, among other cultutally and geographically distinct tribes.   

I would rather use a more inclusive term when speaking in broad strokes about indigenous circumpolar peoples.

#11 2020-01-23 09:45:22

Lum

karltown_veteran wrote:

Also Jason is trying to make ginger into a race. Ginger people are white too. The Arctic people should be Asian like Tibet.

Are you implying that black and brown people are more of a race than ginger people, even though race is an outdated concept that doesn't even exist outside the US?

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#12 2020-01-23 10:36:28

voy178

Lum is right. The concept of race is not one based on science so making ginger a race is as accurate as making blacks and brown people races.

#13 2020-01-23 12:40:46

karltown_veteran

Lum wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:

Are you implying that black and brown people are more of a race than ginger people, even though race is an outdated concept that doesn't even exist outside the US?

Jason is in the US (California). And yes, I am implying that. The unfortunate truth is that it is still very much defining: you are judged by your race. However gingers are not judged or discriminated against, and like white people they are not being economically kept down like black and brown people in the US. Also, they face no previous persecution.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#14 2020-01-23 13:57:37

Mekkie

karltown_veteran wrote:

However gingers are not judged or discriminated against

Tell that to Scott Tenorman...

In all reality though, Racism in the US is widely misrepresented in the media.  Minorities are not nearly as oppressed as the news would have you believe.  Just look at all the #BlackLivesMatter studies that panned out with no result of bias and were shamelessly swept under the proverbial rug because they didn't produce the drama/evidence of racism that the media wanted them to.

Racism sells, folks... equality doesn't.

#15 2020-01-23 16:50:28

voy178

Mekkie wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:

In all reality though, Racism in the US is widely misrepresented in the media.  Minorities are not nearly as oppressed as the news would have you believe.  Just look at all the #BlackLivesMatter studies that panned out with no result of bias and were shamelessly swept under the proverbial rug because they didn't produce the drama/evidence of racism that the media wanted them to.

You're not about to make this FORUM FOR A GAME into a debate about race. Stop baiting.

#16 2020-01-23 17:10:26

karltown_veteran

Mekkie wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:

Not true. Police brutality and bias is serious. If you lived in Chicago like I do you might understand. I also live nextdoor to ghettos, living proof that black people are economically kept down. But yeah, voy is right. This is a game forum, not a debate stage.

#17 2020-01-23 19:47:04

Mekkie

voy178 wrote:

You're not about to make this FORUM FOR A GAME into a debate about race. Stop baiting.

You're right, sorry.  I just see someone screaming inequality and it triggers me a bit.   Less about the racism, more about misrepresentation of things in the media.  Same with the whole "video games are evil!" debacle.

Also, Scott Tenorman is a South Park character... purely a joke!

#18 2020-01-24 23:48:43

Chestburster

The other day I needed sulphur and realized that the family specialty update happened since I last played so I asked a black person to do it and when he said no I held a knife and threatened to murder him and then his entire family if he didn't so he gathered it for me the family specialty update is pretty cool guys

#19 2020-01-24 23:57:15

DestinyCall

But if you kill him and his entire family, how will you gather sulfur.   

Obviously, you should have at least kept one of the girl children alive to gather the sulfur.  Maybe keep her in a locked room so she can't run away from town.   You can trade her pies in exchange for fresh "workers".

#20 2020-01-25 00:51:40

Chestburster

DestinyCall wrote:

But if you kill him and his entire family, how will you gather sulfur.   

Obviously, you should have at least kept one of the girl children alive to gather the sulfur.  Maybe keep her in a locked room so she can't run away from town.   You can trade her pies in exchange for fresh "workers".

I was actually thinking about becoming a baby snatcher in one of my lives. The idea is that I will hang around a village and wait for a woman to give birth and then kidnap the baby and feed him berries to keep him healthy. Keep him with you at knife point when he gets old enough to run and hopefully he will be compliant enough to bring him back to my own village. There I will keep people of every race locked up behind fences and when we need a certain resource you can let them out and have them harvest it for you.

Last edited by Chestburster (2020-01-25 00:54:12)

#21 2020-01-25 04:58:07

DestinyCall

Sounds like a lot more work than just asking your neighbors for a cup of sugar and a bucket of latex.  But that's just me, I guess.

Board footer