One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-14 20:02:57

fragilityh14

Was being Eve stressful before?

i mean, it certainly kind of was, but also in a fun way. I don't usually find it terrible difficult to live in sixty in the wild (Though I was unfortunately just killed by a wolf at 49, I Wasn't that far from camp so hopefully someone found my gear as i was the only one with a backpack.)

Anyway, i worry this makes being eve and starting out too easy. Though, my kids are always going off and not coming back, so presumably they have been starving and that will happen less.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#2 2018-04-14 20:58:28

Sakkiyn

Re: Was being Eve stressful before?

Before as an eve you would run till you found an area that was prebuilt, like running man but naked and with a basket of berries maybe. Now you actually have to set up your own camp, much more rewarding, but also more stressful. It helped me build my survival skills and camp building skills, so I like it this way. If you are not happy you can always commit eve-icide.

#3 2018-04-14 21:03:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The new extra wild food is making it too easy?

#4 2018-04-14 21:06:22

Lucky-San

Starting as an Eve is not very difficult indeed.

BUT giving birth while doing that is the tricky part. The windows for breeding is very short (not too early, but before the menopause)... And this is not under our control! and we need girls!

jasonrohrer wrote:

In fact, I think that this not really change anything in regard of the difficulty of being an Eve. but some regime change is always a good news! wink
But I haven't try yet since the update...

Last edited by Lucky-San (2018-04-14 21:12:09)

sorry for my english, but you know, not everyone is british or american... I'm french by the way (the best country in the world!) wink

#5 2018-04-14 21:25:34

Avalikia

jasonrohrer wrote:

That's a very difficult question to answer.  Too easy for who?

Ultimately, I think the new food doesn't benefit Eves as much as it does her first set of kids.  Because experienced players are able to survive setting up camp either way, and beginners are likely to fail either way.  But the strategy for many experienced players is to abandon a lot of kids.  Child abandonment is frustrating for people trying to play the game, unable to find a mom who will keep them.

With the new food, an Eve is less pressured to abandon kids, and it's easier to be a kid, with hardly a food bar, trying to explore and help mom without starving to death.  It's way easier to be a kid when you have a basket of carrots but Eve's first children don't get that so the wild food helps bridge the gap.  Eve has a big enough health bar to find the next berry bush most of the time, as long as her player is actually paying attention to it.

Edit to add:  If you want to help Eve, and only Eve, what she needs is more time.  If she spawned in a few years younger, she'd have a few minutes to get her bearings and work on a few tools and find a good spot to start a village.  As things stand, she often has her first kid as the game is still loading.  That's a bit rough for both players involved.

Last edited by Avalikia (2018-04-14 21:34:32)

#6 2018-04-14 21:47:11

Sakkiyn

Avalikia wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

That's a very difficult question to answer.  Too easy for who?

Ultimately, I think the new food doesn't benefit Eves as much as it does her first set of kids.  Because experienced players are able to survive setting up camp either way, and beginners are likely to fail either way.  But the strategy for many experienced players is to abandon a lot of kids.  Child abandonment is frustrating for people trying to play the game, unable to find a mom who will keep them.

With the new food, an Eve is less pressured to abandon kids, and it's easier to be a kid, with hardly a food bar, trying to explore and help mom without starving to death.  It's way easier to be a kid when you have a basket of carrots but Eve's first children don't get that so the wild food helps bridge the gap.  Eve has a big enough health bar to find the next berry bush most of the time, as long as her player is actually paying attention to it.

Edit to add:  If you want to help Eve, and only Eve, what she needs is more time.  If she spawned in a few years younger, she'd have a few minutes to get her bearings and work on a few tools and find a good spot to start a village.  As things stand, she often has her first kid as the game is still loading.  That's a bit rough for both players involved.

Here, here. I have spawned a kid at what seems the exact second I spawn. That is to say as soon as I spawned the "pop" sound and "crying". It is far too soon "my child" I have no food and no home, and have yet to explore to see if a home is possible. Maybe make eves start a few years younger, or can't have babies for 5 minutes after spawning, or better maybe both of those.

#7 2018-04-14 22:43:40

suzanbones

Once I spawned as a Daughter of Eve. She took care of me, but sadly died seconds before I turned from baby into a child. There was enough berries around to keep me alive and I started set up base. I had like the basics done as a child before hitting my teens and get the first baby. It was so nice not have to abandon like 3 babies (and thus 3 players) cause you have to run around like crazy to find food and a place to build.

Spawning as a younger Eve would also give time to name yourself. Most often my first child does not have a last name, simply because it spawned almost immediately.

#8 2018-04-15 00:59:43

Lily

Sakkiyn wrote:

Here, here. I have spawned a kid at what seems the exact second I spawn. That is to say as soon as I spawned the "pop" sound and "crying". It is far too soon "my child" I have no food and no home, and have yet to explore to see if a home is possible. Maybe make eves start a few years younger, or can't have babies for 5 minutes after spawning, or better maybe both of those.

This happens all the time. I can hear the baby crying before the load screen even finishes loading. It is crazy. Eve characters should start like two years younger, so they don't produce kids before they can even look around.

#9 2018-04-15 02:22:24

Lucky-San

Lily wrote:

Eve characters should start like two years younger, so they don't produce kids before they can even look around.

Yes, the life would be easier for an Eve... But all full food-bars are also important in order to find a good place to begin...

sorry for my english, but you know, not everyone is british or american... I'm french by the way (the best country in the world!) wink

#10 2018-04-15 02:59:28

fragilityh14

jasonrohrer wrote:

I mean, i didn't think the difficulty needed to be reduced, and is kind of unnecessarily easy, but this last game I had an incredible amount of kids so the extra food is necessary if Eve will reproduce like that (I swear 10-12 births in the life). Setting up a basic camp in one life isn't particularly difficult once you know what you're doing, though of course, somehow colonies frequently collapse.

When I'm Eve i somewhat commonly raise a lot of kids and die at 60 alone, often with with a food surplus (or only lacking one from being old and needing a lot). I don't really understand what the other players are doing, I'm generally busy raising kiddos or gathering baskets and farther out berries etc so i'm not at camp a lot. Though in camps that collapse it often seems that many other people are standing around. Since I'm usually gathering or hunting out in the brush (and watering and seeding in between, since often people will just stand around as food grows out and not even water carrots...i had this happen the other day, there was a water container and planted carrots and a pond RIGHT by it and the camp starved because no one watered, even standing near there. )

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#11 2018-04-15 03:36:55

Sakkiyn

If nothing else the new food might make it easier for an experienced player, but is mostly helpful for balancing out new players. As a naked kid spawned to an eve I found the extra food helpful while we tried to establish a base.

#12 2018-04-15 03:43:57

Lucky-San

fragilityh14 wrote:

[...]there was a water container and planted carrots and a pond RIGHT by it and the camp starved because no one watered, even standing near there. )

There are a lot of people who are new or children of Big cities... They don't know about the beauty of the wildness!

More seriously, we as experimented Eve must be tolerant... and maybe more tell to a new born what to do. I often say "first basket, then snares, then rabbits... we will be the tailor of the city!" or "first basket, then gathering milkweed" or "first basket,  fur seal East to club"...

And, by doing so, everybody have a task and know what to do. Me, I often try to forge (at least reaching the smithing hammer). And I often look the field because it's our blood...

Last edited by Lucky-San (2018-04-15 05:32:54)

Board footer