One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-09 20:58:34

The_Anabaptist

Suggestion: Notification of Cursed Baby

Would it be possible to get an automated notification when you are a mother and a baby that would have been born to you was sent on to the next mother because it was on your curse list?  I think it would give the player base a better idea of whether the curse system was working for them or not.

The_Anabaptist

#2 2020-01-09 21:41:28

StrongForce

Re: Suggestion: Notification of Cursed Baby

Mabye a notification just like new player. Telling you if you have cursed a player before(no timer)Mabye a clear all curses phrase. This way curses will be way more dramatic and effective. If you birth someone you cursed one its a death sentence.

Baby dance!!

#3 2020-01-09 22:19:57

DestinyCall

I really like your idea, Anabaptist.    It would let you know that curses were actually doing something.    Although it might be a little sad to realize that you have cursed too many people and so you are turning away a lot of potential babies.   As long as you use your curses wisely, it shouldn't be a problem, of course.

Taking it a step further, I'd like to see everyone I've cursed if I encounter them in the game too.   Let's me identify potential griefers before they get started.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-01-09 22:24:11)

#4 2020-01-09 22:56:13

Legs

I know this isn't necessarily what you're talking about here, but marking a baby as "cursed" in any way is too meta and shouldn't happen. Anonymity is a large part of people's immersion in this game. Every life is a fresh start. A new name, a new place and a new family. This is your life now. Peeling back the face of the game to reveal the player behind the person would harm the experience.

Again I know you're talking about something different, but I could see someone suggesting a mechanic where mothers of newborns are notified of cursed babies when the player was cursed in their last life or something.

Loco Motion

#5 2020-01-09 23:15:28

testo

Legs wrote:

I know this isn't necessarily what you're talking about here, but marking a baby as "cursed" in any way is too meta and shouldn't happen. Anonymity is a large part of people's immersion in this game. Every life is a fresh start. A new name, a new place and a new family. This is your life now. Peeling back the face of the game to reveal the player behind the person would harm the experience.

Again I know you're talking about something different, but I could see someone suggesting a mechanic where mothers of newborns are notified of cursed babies when the player was cursed in their last life or something.

Griefers don´t like that idea no? Haha. I can totally see your post defending your right as a griefer.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#6 2020-01-09 23:20:15

DestinyCall

That "fresh start" is a big reason why griefing is so common and uncontrollable in OHOL.    Too much anonymity and zero accountability.   

I think karma fits in perfectly with OHOL's cycle of rebirth.   You should be mindful of your actions in this life because they can have long lasting consequences for your "soul".   It makes every life have greater meaning and weight.

#7 2020-01-09 23:25:30

Legs

testo wrote:

Griefers don´t like that idea no?

Realistically, nobody should like that idea. Don't tell me that you never get cursed for stupid reasons. Like some idiot kid that wants your backpack and curses you when you don't give it. Or killing a griefer and getting cursed by people as a murderer. It happens all the time. I get cursed more doing good for the town than I ever have just screwing around munching berries. Yesterday I got cursed for making faces at the babies in the nursery while I was waiting to die from old age. Most players are stupid, misguided and frequently abuse curses.

Realistically, any good player would end up counter-cursed by a griefer and end up marked as an evil baby in their next life.

Loco Motion

#8 2020-01-09 23:49:58

DestinyCall

Currently, curses are individualized.   If you could see only your own curses on other players, it doesn't matter if some idiot curses you for making angry faces.  He is the only one who will see your curse.

Basically, it could work like banishment in the hierarchy system, visible only to the banisher.     If I mark you as someone I don't want to play with again by cursing you, then you won't be born to me or in my immediate vicinity.   This lowers the chances of meeting you again in a future life, until the curse lifts.   And if you manage to get close to me anyways - maybe you are born in a nearby village or to someone traveling out of town - then I am warned by that curse that you are a potential trouble-maker.   

If shit goes down, I will know to not heal you.  Or watch my back when you are nearby.   

People who abuse the curse system to curse innocent players will have a harder time distinguishing between real threats and false alarms.   Like the boy who cried wolf.    While people who are more careful about cursing bad offenders would be able to trust their own curses to warn them of potential threats.

It shouldn't matter if you get the occasional undeserved curse.   But if you piss off everyone you meet, you can expect more problems in future lives.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-01-09 23:50:53)

#9 2020-01-10 01:41:06

jcwilk

DestinyCall wrote:

Currently, curses are individualized.   If you could see only your own curses on other players, it doesn't matter if some idiot curses you for making angry faces.  He is the only one who will see your curse.

Basically, it could work like banishment in the hierarchy system, visible only to the banisher.     If I mark you as someone I don't want to play with again by cursing you, then you won't be born to me or in my immediate vicinity.   This lowers the chances of meeting you again in a future life, until the curse lifts.   And if you manage to get close to me anyways - maybe you are born in a nearby village or to someone traveling out of town - then I am warned by that curse that you are a potential trouble-maker.   

If shit goes down, I will know to not heal you.  Or watch my back when you are nearby.   

People who abuse the curse system to curse innocent players will have a harder time distinguishing between real threats and false alarms.   Like the boy who cried wolf.    While people who are more careful about cursing bad offenders would be able to trust their own curses to warn them of potential threats.

It shouldn't matter if you get the occasional undeserved curse.   But if you piss off everyone you meet, you can expect more problems in future lives.

Will never happen. Anonymity is a core feature of the game, people getting info about your past indiscretions is a clear break from that. The curse system exists because it's not giving anyone information about you, the spawning system happens behind the scenes. You don't know if you can trust your bb, that's the point, they're just a random soul which you can take a gamble on or leave out in the cold. No hints to make that decision easier outside of their immediate behavior

#10 2020-01-10 01:55:41

The_Anabaptist

Nice to see everyone riffing on the original idea.

Again, I would just like a pop-up notification when I'm a mom that a baby that could have gone to me was sent elsewhere because I had them on my curse list.  I don't care to know anything more about them, other than they aren't within my curse radius.

If the ban distance grows because multiple people around me cursed them previously too, it might be neat also be informed of how big the keep away radius was for that child, just to know how bad of a stinker I avoided.  But I would consider that icing on the cake.

The_Anabaptist

#11 2020-01-10 01:59:57

DestinyCall

jcwilk wrote:

Will never happen. Anonymity is a core feature of the game, people getting info about your past indiscretions is a clear break from that.

If you told me that we would have race-locked biomes, limited lives, and tool slots a year ago, I would have called you crazy and told you it goes against the design principles of the game.   If you told me about property fences, I would point out that Jason hates magic and would never do something so stupid.    If you suggested that the infinite map would be replaced by a tiny box, I would have laughed at the absurdity of your imagination.

Obviously anything is possible.  There is no sacred ground.  If you think anonymity is really safe from change, you are fooling yourself.   

I think less anonymity would make the game better.   You do not.   But our opinions don't really matter.    The only real question is whether or not Jason would decide to implement the change.   And we won't know that until he does it.   Or doesn't.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-01-10 02:20:26)

#12 2020-01-14 13:24:20

The_Anabaptist

Just bumping this thread.  I feel it got buried under the all the duplicate threads generated by Spoonwood in the last week or so. 
I think this idea deserves better.

The_Anabaptist

#13 2020-01-14 13:51:26

Mekkie

I honestly like both ideas presented in this thread.  Extra armor vs griefers is always nice.

#14 2020-01-14 20:30:51

StrongForce

+1 nice idea anabaptist

Baby dance!!

Board footer