One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-28 22:53:20

Spoonwood

Survival Difficulty Should Get Balanced Around New Players

So you're on the forums, right?  You're probably not new.  Whether it's easy or difficult for you to survive isn't something that the game should focus on.  There's plenty of tech in the game, and plenty that concerns town design, AND plenty that concerns lineage survival, that there's probably plenty for you to do in a life.  Survival difficulty should get balanced around new players, since they don't know the game, their learning and probably won't learn if they die too early, and there exists better player retention of new players if the survival difficulty gets balanced, as much as it can in a game like this, around new players.  If you think that survival is too difficult or too easy for new players, or have an interest in the topic, there's a videos tab on Twitch that you can check on once you've searched for "One Hour One Life".   Here's the most recent new player to stream: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/525992160? … &sort=time

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2019-12-28 23:19:06

Keyin

Re: Survival Difficulty Should Get Balanced Around New Players

I would guess the biggest reason to die when your new is not being used to controls. I had watched and followed OHOL for over a year before my first game. I knew pretty much all the recipes that had existed pre-wells and the social norms, etc. Most of my deaths were me trying to feed myself and failing. Even now without hetuw I struggle to not randomly pick stuff up.

That said, I think the difficulty of accumulating spare food is too easy. The challenge for new players right now comes from controls and limited view.  Therefore I believe food bonus should be lowered or even removed. Controls should have an option menu like hetuw, view shouldn't be so zoomed in.

#3 2019-12-28 23:58:49

testo

Re: Survival Difficulty Should Get Balanced Around New Players

What I see as biggest problem here is clearly the tutorial zone. It is just too simple and for new players the game becomes rather uninteresting once the food problem has been solved by other players.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

Board footer