One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-28 00:38:34

Toxolotl

Guide for new players: Tips and advice

I want to make a forum as a resource for new players.

I dont have time to post stuff atm but ill hop on and post more later. Feel free to post your tips and advice below.

#2 2019-12-28 00:54:27

testo

Re: Guide for new players: Tips and advice

lol i expected to find some advice.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#3 2019-12-28 01:05:17

Cantface

Visit onetech.info for any tech recipes you would like to make and write them out step by step. Type something into the site (eg. Bucket, Axe, or any game item at all) and you can see how difficult/easy it is to make and how many steps it takes to complete. Start with simple things such as farming, compost, baking etc, learn the basics and then look into higher tech when you feel comfortable and if you cannot complete a task take a break to ease the frustration, look up your recipe and try again. Playing this game blind is nightmare hell I DO NOT recommend it please learn from my mistakes!

Breasticles

#4 2019-12-28 01:15:37

Legs

I recommend building an eve-style camp for new players. Embrace the fact that you'll die a lot and use every death as a learn experience. Necessity is the mother of invention here.

Oh, now I'm having kids. How do I feed them? We need to plant. How do we do that? Great, now you're learning farming. Getting soil, tilling, watering. Firing clay bowls and plates. Baking. Expanding the farm, getting wheat and carrots. Building a well. Making fire. Crafting a bow and arrow, making sheep pen, domestication. Basic smithing. Hunting rabbits for a bellows. Basic fur clothing. Hunting and skinning animals. It teaches all the basic skills in a very immediate way.

Make it a goal to learn one new crafting recipe each life. Focus on one thing you need and make it. This applies even after you graduate from primitive tech. For example, where does soil come from after you exhaust the ambient spawns? Hey look, you're making compost. That's sustainable soil!

Same goes for food recipes, smithing, clothing etc. Eventually you'll find you can make most things. Then you can move on to luxury tech and more difficult recipes. Upgrade from rabbit furs to dyed wool clothing.

Loco Motion

#5 2019-12-28 09:18:14

petaldancing

first tip is to stop playing this game until family specialization is nuked into oblivion.

ଘ(੭ˊᵕˋ)੭━☆゚.*・。゚ specialization update is trash

#6 2019-12-28 09:30:29

Spoonwood

See the settings tab?  Click on that, and in there there exists a box for you to check and a place for address to get put next to the 'use custom server' spot.  A list of public server addresses that can get put into that box can get found here: http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report  I suggest putting in one of those addresses that is on servers 2-15.  You could play by yourself for a bit as Legs suggested.  Or you could try to join someone else... warning they might not keep you (there's a valid concern there, that I won't go into right now), but more often than not I think players on servers 2 through 15 tend to keep children. 

There's also an official OHOL discord here: https://discordapp.com/invite/k4eU9CG  People there can probably help you out, or might join you in a low pop context or suggest a specific server to join.  Also, players playing on server 2 through 15 usually will probably feel like they stand in a better position to teach you than players on bigserver2 will. 

Additionally, if you go down and right past both snake pits in the tutorial area, there's an area where you can practice blacksmithing with the resources you'll need to blacksmith.  But, you'll learn a little more if you do as Legs suggested in a low population context.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2019-12-28 09:31:30

Spoonwood

petaldancing wrote:

first tip is to stop playing this game until family specialization is nuked into oblivion.

There's no race restrictions (or tool slots for that matter) when a server has less than 15 people on it.  So, there's probably no need to worry about such for players who choose to play on servers 2 through 15 at present.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-12-28 22:36:05

slexi

Thank you!

#9 2019-12-29 00:56:54

Cantface

Try to keep an eye out on your age in your late thirties, once you're fourty your milk dries up and you have to hand feed any babies you have something small like berries ideally ofc.

Bake many kinds of yum pie, but if you insist on making berrypie carrotpie or berry/carrot pies only make ONE because they're the worst of the bunch. Some people refuse to make them but if you're in a big town with yum freaks It's less outrageous (unless you're a mutton pie enthusiast) Don't make these pies unless you're in a town that has everything else basically.

Don't breed dogs please please PLEASE. They just run around, follow people then die or someone will hit a Pitbull with a stick and turn it aggressive so it attacks people, why this mechanic exists haha you tell me please!

Breasticles

#10 2019-12-29 01:19:01

DestinyCall

Fun Fact - even if nobody abuses the Pitbull, it will turn mean eventually when it gets old.   It is a time/movement based transition.

Pitbulls only exist as griefer tools.

#11 2019-12-29 02:38:15

Toxolotl

So my tips would be:

- Learn how to yum chain. If you eat different foods you get bonus food. Berry > berry in bowl > onion > tomato > corn > popcorn > etc. If you eat the same food within your chain you lose the bonus and have to start over.

- Learn through observation and ask questions. Nothing is more destructive than a new player running around like a bull in a china shop.

- Associate work stations. Bakeries, smiths, and farms usually have tools lying around them that are necessary for each job. Dont take or move these items.

- Install one of the zoom mods. Playing vanilla is one of the most limiting experiences and zoom helps beyond belief.

- When you are over 40 minutes old you can no longer breast feed. Be sure to look out for the age change. Babies will often say O L D so look out for that as well. You can feed them with berries or other small foods.

- Try to produce more food than you eat, gather more resources than you use. Maintaining a surplus makes a huge impact on total growth and stability.

- Learn each job one at a time. Try to learn the full scope of what goes into them. What resources are used and where do they come from. I recommend starting with farming, then baking, then smithing. Smithing will take a while to learn the full scope but the basics are easy to pick up.

#12 2019-12-29 03:11:05

Cantface

DestinyCall wrote:

Fun Fact - even if nobody abuses the Pitbull, it will turn mean eventually when it gets old.   It is a time/movement based transition.

Pitbulls only exist as griefer tools.

:C Imo one of the worst game 'mechanics' of all time, in any game ever. Pointless, ignorant and cruel. Luckily it's not such a common grief tactics these days. (though it does pop up every so often and I still get a lil aggravated and sad each time.)

Breasticles

Board footer