One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-26 03:47:04

Legs

Hog Traps

Interesting idea building hog traps along the northern road in rail town.

The hog is blocked in along the road between items and fences. It's also concealed behind a tree. Anyone traveling along the road walks over it and is gored. They're too far to be healed. It kills a lot of people. Lives until someone chops down the tree, removes the stump and shoots it. Very deadly, no chance of cursing and difficult to remove safely.

It's a very inventive way to grief busy roads. A LOT of people were killed by these.

jGBnpWi.png

Loco Motion

#2 2019-12-26 04:05:53

jcwilk

Re: Hog Traps

Impressive. Looks like it could also be done with property fences, not as permanent but almost as difficult to immediately remove.

#3 2019-12-26 04:15:50

Mekkie

This is like nazi level murder efficiency...

#4 2019-12-26 04:43:41

Legs

They built waystones (now ancient) along the road pointing to these too.

I've noticed saplings growing today so they're being actively maintained.

Loco Motion

#5 2019-12-26 07:03:18

testo

Chop tree down, move road down, leave boar as attraction and seal with more waystones. I can grief your work too you know?

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#6 2019-12-26 07:05:42

fug

And this is why stuff like tiny tree sprites exist/holey tree sprite replacements exist.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#7 2019-12-26 07:10:36

Mekkie

fug wrote:

And this is why stuff like tiny tree sprites exist/holey tree sprite replacements exist.

Zoom mod comes with wild animal notifications and xray vision <3  I downloaded it for the WASD movement, found a treasure trove of improvements!

#8 2019-12-26 10:39:49

Spoonwood

Mekkie wrote:
fug wrote:

Zoom mod comes with wild animal notifications and xray vision <3  I downloaded it for the WASD movement, found a treasure trove of improvements!

The Hetuw mod does.  There exist other mods with a zoom feature also.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2019-12-26 10:45:09

jcwilk

Mekkie wrote:
fug wrote:

Same, and search+zoom is so useful it's almost cheating, but it's open source so modding isn't cheating it's just part of the metagame

#10 2019-12-26 14:08:40

ollj

long roads always provide plenty of free cloth, not all of it dropped at age 60, and a lot of it is found +-200 tiles near the road and brought to the road.
roads usually are full of wolves and bears.

Last edited by ollj (2019-12-26 14:09:26)

#11 2019-12-26 23:46:45

Villas

Dude, this trap killed a lot. The first time I saw it, my mother was bitten by a hog but we weren’t at a swamp, I was like “WTF?”, ran back and forth looking for it, I was sure it was a bug until it got me and I realized it was behind a tree. Next life I told that to a guy and we two went to kill the boar, we weren’t black, so it was hard to reach the hog without dropping the bow and we couldn’t remove or chop the tree because they were in a desert, both of us ended up dead. I quit. Hours later I came back, there were a huuuge vertical line of waystones and the only way possible to reach the other side was walking through the gap where the boar was, the road was broken to avoid people being yeeted to the boar, even though when we click on the other side of the waystone line, the game automatically makes you walk past the gap and it actually killed my kid who was aware of the boar.

I’m using the hetuw mod, so I stopped clicking and only used WASD when on roads, so my character stops immediately when there is a dangerous tile in front of me. I used this to actually kill the boar. Years later I saw a guy putting a bowl of kernels next to the trap and he cut the boar removing the meat and bones from there, I suspected and chased him with my bow, he ran a lot. I camped there waiting for him, but he came with two other guys (the guys were black and he was ginger) I think they were using discord, since ginger and black can’t communicate properly. He came with a bow and arrow and I ran to a big desert when he aimed me, but I was very old and died there. Next life I was born more than 1000 tiles away but went there  to check and there was the boar again, I thought about killing it but I decided to go back and work instead, I spent more than 2 hours dealing with it and I was kinda pissed off.

My theory is that they are a group of grievers on discord, maintaining the trap. There are good ways to stop them. Cursing, being born as a black character and cutting the tree, breaking all the road so people won’t go there (although I feel sorry for who built the road, it takes hours, and also they can make the trap on another road so we would end up breaking all the roads). They can also put a wall corner with black dye to replace the tree, but any wall corner gives more visibility than a maple tree, so people might see the boar before and stop running towards it.

That’s crazy, those guys might have killed dozen of people, principally new players. And once the trap is done, they keep griefing and killing even without being online.

#12 2019-12-26 23:51:12

DestinyCall

In any other multiplayer game, the player(s) responsible for making this trap would have their account banned.

#13 2019-12-26 23:58:56

Mekkie

DestinyCall wrote:

In any other multiplayer game, the player(s) responsible for making this trap would have their account banned.

Would be nice if every time you got cursed, your account would get a mark on it and after a certain amount of curses (maybe 20 or so?), you would get automatically banned.  No more serial griefers.   and before anyone says "innocent people could get banned this way!", i mean.. you'd have to know that person's character a lot of times to actually pull that off.

#14 2019-12-27 00:03:00

jcwilk

It's so cute that you guys still think Jason couldn't have figured out how to get rid of griefers by now. Donkeytown is a fun vacation, barely a slap on the wrist. Ohol is basically a game about creation vs entropy, players take part in both processes

#15 2019-12-27 00:17:52

Villas

jcwilk wrote:

It's so cute that you guys still think Jason couldn't have figured out how to get rid of griefers by now. Donkeytown is a fun vacation, barely a slap on the wrist. Ohol is basically a game about creation vs entropy, players take part in both processes

That’s kinda like real life. I mean, Hitler and those people who are jailed or even on dark forums on the deep web are/were real life griefers and we had/have several ones.

#16 2019-12-27 01:37:28

Punkypal

I personally hope Jason just removes the waystones. They are currently the #1 tool in the griefer bag of tricks, and honestly they provide little real value to make up for the trouble they are being used for. So many ways they could be fixed. They could not block movement. They could not be allowed to be placed adjacent to each other. Either one of these no-brainer things would drastically reduce the ability to misuse them.

Honestly though I believe jcwilk hit the nail on the head. Jason likes the griefing and doesn't want to solve it. He isn't trying to make a fun game. This is some kind of social experiment for him. And to be honest, an element of that I'm OK with. But with these waystones I quit, and I don't plan on coming back until the next apocalypse. How long I stay then will depend of if he corrects the balance between the builders vs griefers.

It seems Jason thinks it's balanced because there are maybe 10 builders for every one griefer, so it's OK for griefers to have 10x more power to destroy. I disagree. Since I started playing I've only seen griefers get more help and little to counter them with. I haven't heard of anyone getting sent to this fabled "donkey town" since the rifts. With players spread out over 7k tiles, is it even possible to not have a place to spawn? You'd have to have been cursed by a majority of players, and even if everyone cursed you, just a couple dudes working together on Discord can overcome that by being a mother to each other. Shit, one could just buy a second account for their laptop and be their own mother. $20 or less to completely beat the system and laugh your ass off everytime someone curses you? PRICELESS

IMHO the game crossed over to the "broken" stage now. Too many things can be used not as intended. I hope much of this gets cleaned up. Until then, there's plenty of Frostpunk to play. After that, Borderlands is looking pretty good. Games that are actually just fun, what a concept!

Someone not long ago described OHOL as "Nintendo Hard" which Jason disagreed with. I think they were completely right about that though. Not because OHOL is actually "hard", but it has built in this kind of Japanese way of thinking, that something that gives you joy is enhanced if contrasted against something that gives you pain. The "highs" seem higher if you got there by way of a series of "lows". If you have to fall off a ledge 20 times before you finally manage to make it across, suddenly the simple act of walking across a ledge seems like fun. I understand this is true for most humans. I honestly think it has a smaller effect on me than most people. To me I think "all that work and all I did was walk across a ledge. That shouldn't be that hard. That still wasn't fun." I don't play Nintendo type games.

So the same is true in OHOL. I spend half of a life just trying to move a few little blocks just so other people can use a simple pump that shouldn't have been allowed to be blocked in the first place. It doesn't feel fun just because it was hard to do. In the end I just think, "This game makes it take half a damn hour to do nothing but move two stupid blocks. Having to move the damn block in the first place is stupid. That isn't fun." I don't care how hard Jason makes it to do something mundane. To me, it will always feel mundane, and never feels like an accomplishment. It feels like a colossal waste of time.

Last edited by Punkypal (2019-12-27 03:04:35)

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#17 2019-12-27 01:54:46

Mekkie

^  This has to be the best post I've ever read on this forum..

#18 2019-12-27 07:37:27

Spoonwood

jcwilk wrote:

No, it's not.  No destruction has to happen in the game.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#19 2019-12-27 07:55:37

Punkypal

Spoonwood wrote:
jcwilk wrote:

No, it's not.  No destruction has to happen in the game.

Spoonwood, seriously you misread or misunderstand everything.

Technically nothing has to happen in the game, but nobody said destruction HAS to happen.

What jcwilk said is that it's a game about creation vs entropy. It doesn't HAVE to be a game about that, but that just so happens to be what it is. Jason has said as much multiple times. It's the designer's purposeful intention that this is so.

What we are pushing back against is that the desired "destruction" element of the game is getting to be too much, and the players who enjoy the creation part of the game (which happen to be the majority) aren't having much fun lately. Simply stumbling into the thread and blurting a true but random argument in response to someone who never even suggested the counterpoint of what you are trying to argue seems to be a major non-sequitur. But bless your heart for trying.

Last edited by Punkypal (2019-12-27 07:56:19)

Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos

#20 2019-12-27 08:10:46

Keyin

Punkypal wrote:

It seems Jason thinks it's balanced because there are maybe 10 builders for every one griefer, so it's OK for griefers to have 10x more power to destroy.

This is blatantly false. Destruction is much harder in relation to creation(many items are difficult or impossible to destroy, like ancient walls or waystones)

In reality, destruction is much easier than creation but Jason seems hell-bent on making it require much more work to undue what others have done.

From where I see things, it seems like you can either making things hard to destroy, in which case people will use creation to grief. If you make things easy to destroy, people will use destruction to grief. The natural state is destruction being much easier, so I favor making things like waystones easier to destroy.

Last edited by Keyin (2019-12-27 08:29:09)

#21 2019-12-27 19:47:46

jcwilk

Keyin wrote:
Punkypal wrote:

It seems Jason thinks it's balanced because there are maybe 10 builders for every one griefer, so it's OK for griefers to have 10x more power to destroy.

This is blatantly false. Destruction is much harder in relation to creation(many items are difficult or impossible to destroy, like ancient walls or waystones)

In reality, destruction is much easier than creation but Jason seems hell-bent on making it require much more work to undue what others have done.

From where I see things, it seems like you can either making things hard to destroy, in which case people will use creation to grief. If you make things easy to destroy, people will use destruction to grief. The natural state is destruction being much easier, so I favor making things like waystones easier to destroy.

I think they meant destruction in a more figurative way... Like destroying someone's creation which may involve creation of a giant pile of donkey shit in the middle of it.

It's important to keep in mind that the game is more than just a sandbox, it's also a functional complex game which means that things like waystones actually have a purpose (an information/navigation hub which outlives everyone involved in its creation) and making them easy to destroy would compromise that purpose. Making them non-blocking (mostly) solves the griefing issue without compromising the utility. They probably also ought to be a lot more difficult to create since something that lasts a long time ought to be quite difficult to make.

#22 2019-12-27 23:55:58

Toxolotl

"one could just buy a second account for their laptop and be their own mother. $20 or less to completely beat the system"

You can run it on the same computer. I think most cereal griefers do this and just cycle accounts.

#23 2019-12-28 00:13:19

Punkypal

I agree, but I'd run on a laptop just because it seems so much easier to hop back and forth. IDK tho....

I have birthed twins a couple times that clearly were cycling on one computer. It was hilarious that when I asked, they claimed they were not. I was like, Oh come on! Neither of you ever move or talk at the same time and there is always like a 4-5 second pause between one stopping and then the other starting. The last time this happened I ran around and grabbed all weapons in town, put them in a cart and in backpacks in the cart and then stood there holding the cart. As soon as they realized I had done this, one of the two ran over and got mauled by a wolf and the other just stood there until they starved (already had a low bar I guess because it didn't take much longer). Obviously their goal was murdering.

#24 2019-12-28 00:27:11

DestinyCall

So basically cursing does nothing and killing does nothing to stop serial griefers.   Players can grief as much as they like without any real consequences. 

It is super depressing how little progress has been made on this issue over the last year.   I was really hoping that the 30 day timer would make a real difference, but it sounds like the curse system is just plain broken yet again.

#25 2019-12-28 00:55:47

jcwilk

DestinyCall wrote:

So basically cursing does nothing and killing does nothing to stop serial griefers.   Players can grief as much as they like without any real consequences. 

It is super depressing how little progress has been made on this issue over the last year.   I was really hoping that the 30 day timer would make a real difference, but it sounds like the curse system is just plain broken yet again.

People don't play consistently enough. If 6 people curse you only at most 2 of them are going to be playing next time you hop on, and people don't curse as much as you'd think they would. To really be locked out I think you'd need dozens of curses all from very frequent players, but if Jason wanted them to be banned for that behavior then he would have implemented a reporting and banning system, but he hasn't, and so he presumably doesn't.

Board footer