One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-26 23:05:15

Toxolotl

What do you miss/not miss about the rift?

So since the rift was removed ive found myself occasionally missing elements that seemed to flourish in the rift. At the same time im grateful elements i hated about the rift are gone. So i thought we could list and discuss our thoughts on those things in this thread.

What i miss:

- Power house families. Families towards the end of the arc that dominated the server and fought tides of griefers at every turn.

- Epic fortresses. Towns completely walled in to keep out intruders.

- Finding and running into other families and towns often.

- The drama of everyone eve spawning at the same time.

- Peace for the sake of peace. Multifamily towns were rare without incentive and they were a beautiful thing to run into back in the day.

- A few other things i cant think of atm.

What i dont miss:

- Arcs ending/player driven apocalypse.

- Being confined to such a small space.

- Late arc stagnation.

- Resource desperation and hording.

- Families killing each other so their spawns would be buffed/inner family griefing to buff other fams.

- People playing exclusively for their lineage and raiding/stealing from other fams. Sometimes from within other fams.

- It taking nearly no skill to navigate and find your way.

- A ton of other stuff i cant think of atm.

Let me know your lists and thoughts.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-12-27 03:29:11)

#2 2019-12-27 00:09:24

Villas

Re: What do you miss/not miss about the rift?

I miss:
- that fortress feeling, we were in a walled kingdom with guards and whatnot, people had to drop their weapons in order to get inside. We had very beautiful towns, with huge buildings, walls made of wood and stone.
- Being more closer to your family, we cared more about each other and we were wandering the world and found a cousin, we always cheered up. We stopped killing each other and had a common enemy to fight, so we were working together and helping each other.
- New jobs such as guards, wallkeepers, scouters and whatnot.

What I don’t miss:

- Exploits. People were being born in another family only to grief and make the people born in their actual family. People being born only to steal stuff to their families, I saw it several times, my kids were born, they grew up, took a horse, stole what they could and bailed. Once I followed my daughter with a horse, she ran to the southern limit, a guy give her gate permission and she got in, there were dozens of horses inside the fences.
- Crazy griefing. Since permanently locking buildings to chopping all juniper trees.
Edit:
I also don’t miss the massive famines we had. The apocalypses and the mega baby boom when one mother had 20 baby s in five minutes.

Last edited by Villas (2019-12-27 00:19:44)

#3 2019-12-27 00:13:00

Gogo
Banned

miss:
- regrets that some family died out
- fortresses
- overall craziness

don't:
- inevitable apocalypse
- famine

Last edited by Gogo (2019-12-27 00:13:49)

#4 2019-12-27 01:08:17

Cantface

I hated that the paranoia (or general disagreement) with being boxed in with eachother, griefers and all caused absolute pandemonium. So much people roleplaying rather than working because most hated playing that way and just caused a bunch of shit like always. It's why we get people coming up with traps and games now to this day. I think people want what was in the trailer, we still don't have it or anything close to it. I think some people feel frustrated with the games current state, or even feel duped into buying into something that they never had any say in. So they turn to griefing. I see a few similarities in both the rift and race specialty updates, especially the disappointment they both caused and the reaction people had as a result. The more jaded people get the worse the game will be to play.

Edit: I liked that I never got lost because WHO COULD with the black sack n crack everywhere to guide you.

Last edited by Cantface (2019-12-27 01:10:04)

Breasticles

#5 2019-12-27 01:32:28

coriander

Miss:
-Territories/Fences
-Navigability (Know all active towns on the map, as opposed to knowing just your hometown and the bell town)

Don't:
-Repetitive landscape and families (i.e. play as either a SMITH or a DOE for a week in the same fucking towns)
-Finite resources that are easily susceptible to griefing
-Saturation of Eves
-Player-driven/excessive apocalypse

#6 2019-12-27 03:23:40

JasonY

Miss:
Resource scarcity, You needed to do things like planting trees to keep your area habitable. There were very real consequences for doing things like hunting all the mouflon to extinction. Now people just casually trash a place and move to the next town.

Sieges, I once joined aided my family in defending my homeland against another group trying to get in. Imagine the rift with today's biome restrictions.

The more competitive play was in my opinion much more interesting than the stagnation of an infinite world.

Don't miss:

My GF at that time.

Need Content

#7 2019-12-27 07:30:42

Spoonwood

None of the large low pop connected towns with a road structure projects would have fit inside of any Jason's Rifts.  Not the first one with the 10,000+ road.  Not the rebuilt one post-Jason wipe pre-Rift.  And not the post-Rift one going on now.

I didn't play in The Rift at all.  Why would I?  It was a bad system from the very start, and had too many flaws.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-12-27 07:46:12

fug

Spoonwood wrote:

None of the large low pop connected towns with a road structure projects would have fit inside of any Jason's Rifts.  Not the first one with the 10,000+ road.  Not the rebuilt one post-Jason wipe pre-Rift.  And not the post-Rift one going on now.

I didn't play in The Rift at all.  Why would I?  It was a bad system from the very start, and had too many flaws.

The only good things in the rift were the strong families. Everything else was ass essentially.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#9 2019-12-27 08:06:56

Spoonwood

I don't doubt you there fug.  Thanks for the reassurance that I didn't miss out on much.

Danish Clinch.

#10 2019-12-27 11:10:15

ollj

rift was  nonstop sadism.
VERY easily griefed to death at all time.

nothing to miss about it.

#11 2019-12-27 11:11:45

ollj

Spoonwood wrote:

the rift was gone for almost 3 weeks, and the rift-be-gone road was 6000 to 8000 tiles long. then the world got reset and i took a 4 month long kreak from playing the sadism simulator.

#12 2019-12-27 17:39:12

Toxolotl

What do you guys not miss/ like about things post rift?

Trying to get a good comparison going

#13 2019-12-27 17:53:46

DestinyCall

I'd rather talk about all the things I miss from the pre-rift days.    Back when we didn't have war swords, property fences, racial specializations, tool slots, genetic score, and the rest of this nonsense.

It was a simpler time, when every pond could become a well and running out of compost was a legitimate concern.

#14 2019-12-27 18:21:08

Toxolotl

Feel free to talk about that. Just trying to get a spectrum list going. Obviously people will have differing opinions on whats good and whats bad. My goal with this thread was to try to get a good list of what worked and what didnt work from the communities perspective and discuss how and why they have those opinions.

#15 2019-12-27 18:34:36

sigmen4020

What I miss:

Families living close to each other

The Family identities. Families were few and lasted longer, making them more memorable (for example the long German and Uni families)

Exploration was more fun in the rift since it wasn’t just long stretches of untouched wilderness. It was easy to find something interesting.

The beginning of the arc having a unique feeling to it

What I don’t miss:

Being trapped in a small 750x750 box

The hostility, or the whole end the rift stick griefers went with

Being born in the situation over and over/being stuck in the boring endgame for ages

Scarcity that couldn’t be worked around. Scarcities that are literally impossible to overcome isn’t interesting.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#16 2019-12-27 18:52:38

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I'd rather talk about all the things I miss from the pre-rift days.    Back when we didn't have war swords, property fences, racial specializations, tool slots, genetic score, and the rest of this nonsense.

It was a simpler time, when every pond could become a well and running out of compost was a legitimate concern.

Here here!  Pumps busting isn't something that I've ever disliked.  But, springs just end up too vulnerable to griefing.  And one well is duller than having a bunch of wells at different stages.  Also, before property fences towns had stable pens.  The true legacy of property fences is bad pens that need hit all the time.  Game probably would be better if we didn't have property fences at all.  I agree with the rest, except maybe genetic score is okay... IF it weren't tied to other nonsense like tool slots.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer