One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-13 14:35:25

bayonder

Killer is Dead: or How it felt to become literally Hitler

This game just delivered a genuine self traumatizing experience, this is a throwaway account but I've been on the forum for some time, my story starts with a life on server 3.

I was born into a village of great means, plenty of bushes, rows and rows of carrots, reams of firewood and a full set of tools from the forge, sans knife. I noticed, however, this included a file. From previous lives as a guard I knew the file was the major hoop to leap through to get to the knife, what with all the steps it takes to grease it with that goose, yet here it was in plain view by the forge! I thought to myself, one life, I will spend one life as a serial killer, just to remind them why they need to be on guard. It was terribly easy to make the knife, with the file there it was a simple matter of stepping in on the smiths work and pounding out a blade blank. I did it in plain view, I left the blade while making the shaft, the smith even WTF'd at me when I interrupted his flow to do it, and yet NO ONE thought to say anything or make people aware that a knife was being made. THEY WERE BEGGING TO BE STABBED!!! so, as a responsible community member I limited myself to stabbing about 4 of them... maybe a couple more. it wasn't long before I was stopped, I scattered the killings out and let a couple get away so the town scrambled a decent defense, I was justly dispatched and moved on to life as an Eve.

Then things escalated...

In my next life I was talking to my baby to pass the time while looking for a place to live, I told her I was a killer in my last life and while interesting and maybe exciting it wasn't the sort of thing I would do often as it would get repetitive and tiresome, I found a place to settle before getting into the moral discourse of WHY I was a killer, though I doubt it would have made a difference at that point. I had a son next and the three of us set about making a settlement, then one year, out of the blue our tools went missing. I had spent several years looking for milkweed in another green patch to the west, so had my son and we had barely managed to get a hatchet and fire bow drill together to start the farm with a wet clay bowl and kiln I had easily gotten ready from the nearby marsh, my daughter claimed she had two ropes go missing as well and cast suspicion on my son, not wanting to deal with it I returned to the green to find enough milkweed to remake the crucial tools, or at least a snare to make a waterskin from rabbits (even if it was a further journey than I preferred without the farm set up to do so).
I came back to my daughter talking to a newborn baby about how I was a dirty griefer who had killed her last life so she was hiding my tools and other items to sabotage my settlement, my son was confused when i tried to explain the situation and I starved soon after.
I was reborn in the village I had killed in and starved as people crowded around a child telling of how I was trying to start a settlement and how I thought I was a hero(I had set my eve name as Hero because it sounded fun), and how disgusted everyone was I would dare to think so highly of myelf.
I was reborn in my settlement to the grand daughter I had seen my daughter talking to and my son had gotten a farm going, my son told me that the tools and items were still being hidden, and soon after that my mother abandoned the colony to die in the wilderness, having been discovered.
My last moments were spent with my son as he starved in front of me.
I was enraged, livid, I had stabbed a few of them and in retribution I had my attempt at a clan wiped out!

I spent the next several lives making them pay, over and over I killed and killed and killed.
At first it was for my son, but after a couple lives the motive faded and all I felt was the hate, this desire to kill and kill and kill with barely a will attached to it other than the thought that THEY HAD CROSSED THE FIRST LINE AND I WOULD CROSS THE LAST!

The funny thing was I heard talk about other killers, that they had supposedly crafted several knives that showed up in the town square, but I saw townspeople kill each other for my crimes (one of the drawbacks of such generic character models, if someone didn't catch your name it was easy to think someone else was the killer, especially once everyone was carrying knives) so I am unconvinced there was ever anything more than paranoia that created those knives  and conjured phantom killers were neighbors stood.

what finally snapped me from my violence was when i came to this village, which I had thought almost unassailable over the long term, and saw only two elders alive. I had managed to carve away until I was born as the last girl in the village, the elders had devolved into discussion about how IRL the human race is garbage too and we are all just doom, that was their ultimate takeaway from this beautiful game after I was done

The elder wise lady Kloni began to quote Charlie Chaplins speech from the Little dictator

I'm sorry, but I don't want to be an emperor. That's not my business. I don't want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible - Jew, Gentile - black
man - white. We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other's happiness - not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another. In this world there's room for everyone and the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone. The way of life can be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way. Greed has poisoned men's souls - has barricaded the world with hate - has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical; our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.

I was crushed, never have I felt so much like I had become something i hate, I could clothe it in revenge or try to justify it by how all civs fall eventually or that it was a game and I was just fucking around but I had genuinely left these people broken.

I apologized, I wept, I sat over their bones for so long wondering what I could even do to try and make up for what had been done, the generations of genocide against a people who by and large were completely unaware and uninvolved in what had been done to me and my son and who may not have even been wrong in doing it to begin with given what I had done to them.

In the end I hid most of the weapons and files, birthed as many babies as I could, I tried to explain to the lone surviving cousin of mine and to elder Kloni when she was reborn, but what can you even say when you can't even type out a full tweet? How do you convey so much human misery and hatred?

In the end I begged the reborn elder Kloni to end my life, it felt like the only way things should end, she asked if I had any last words,
I said "Don't let me be the reason you give up on humans"
Kloni paused and replied, "I gave up on humans long ago..."
In the end Kloni didn't even end my life, he simply stared me down with that bow in his hands as I sat there too ashamed to beg him further, I fell to the dirt as he turned to tending the carrot farm and there my hatred finally died.

Last edited by bayonder (2018-04-13 14:43:03)

#2 2018-04-13 15:01:04

CongoBongo

Re: Killer is Dead: or How it felt to become literally Hitler

You sir, are what is wrong with people in the world today.
Easy to be "Hitler" with internet anonymity, right?

No matter how sorry you are, or how you wept... you are still you.

Last edited by CongoBongo (2018-04-13 15:01:49)

#3 2018-04-13 15:02:27

Truthseeker

This shit is why revenge never works out, it's never proportionate and it never makes you feel better.

#4 2018-04-13 15:14:51

Dagar

Interesting read. One thing though: you did not become LITERALLY Hitler. Stop using that word unless in the right context.

#5 2018-04-13 15:52:13

stickyflypaper

But look at this amazing story that came from it all. It's a tragidy, for sure, and there was much unnecessary suffering. But what a story, what an experience.

I do hope you decide to do only good in future lives, to balance out. Spread also love, and joy, compassion, and sharing. Humans are capable of both extremes.

#6 2018-04-13 16:08:44

Dagar

stickyflypaper wrote:

But look at this amazing story that came from it all. It's a tragidy, for sure, and there was much unnecessary suffering. But what a story, what an experience.

I do hope you decide to do only good in future lives, to balance out. Spread also love, and joy, compassion, and sharing. Humans are capable of both extremes.

Well, it was for him, but the normal player who just wanted to contribute, got stabbed from behind and closed the game frustrated does not have that kind of experience. For most of the players involved it was just another griefer ruining their fun.

#7 2018-04-13 16:16:31

Thexus

"""literally Hitler"""
Great, i really like people who can save a whole nation from starving, and end an era that was called "The Great Depression".

You are a hero, just like Hitler himself, kind sir.

Discord: Translators' Server, Thexus#3774
Working again on translations, oof

#8 2018-04-13 16:38:27

stickyflypaper

Dagar wrote:
stickyflypaper wrote:

Well, it was for him, but the normal player who just wanted to contribute, got stabbed from behind and closed the game frustrated does not have that kind of experience. For most of the players involved it was just another griefer ruining their fun.

True enough. I should hope, though, that players don't completely quit the game after being murdered. They could easily be reborn and try again. With enough other people actively contributing to positive experiences, it should balance out the negative experiences.

#9 2018-04-13 18:39:33

evan.woods

Thexus wrote:

"""literally Hitler"""
Great, i really like people who can save a whole nation from starving, and end an era that was called "The Great Depression".

Behold our former moderator and ask: why is the environment around this game so toxic?

Edit for those interested in a long-ish read:
Umberto Eco's "Ur-Fascism" gives a nice insight into Thexus and others on this forum:
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1995/06/22/ur-fascism/

Last edited by evan.woods (2018-04-13 18:48:13)

#10 2018-04-13 18:40:54

Naeght

@Thexus: Yeah, he just had to sieze power, annihilate working class resistance, and engage in imperialistic war. The "hittler" argument is overused in the internet, but you really are a disgusting fascist.

Last edited by Naeght (2018-04-13 18:41:06)

#11 2018-04-13 19:17:32

Shialac

Thexus wrote:

"""literally Hitler"""

wtf dude

#12 2018-04-13 20:14:50

Antichthon

Thexus wrote:

"""literally Hitler"""

Mods, please ban this shitstain.

#13 2018-04-13 20:37:59

carrotlover

Thexus wrote:

"""literally Hitler"""

"save a whole nation from starving" by killing millions of people, that's really heroic...

ban, please?

#14 2018-04-13 21:38:58

Truthseeker

Thexus wrote:

"""literally Hitler"""

The only platform fascists deserve is one with a short set of stairs and a weighted blade at the end of it.

#15 2018-04-13 21:53:35

Chard

Wow. This is impressive.

OP invokes Godwin's Rule in the thread topic thereby immediately losing any potential debate. Then Thexus comes out of nowhere to reverse Godwin even harder and lose the debate himself.

There are no rules to govern this situation so I recommend we all quietly ignore the obvious troll post and keep discussion on the OP.

--

bayonder: You tell a nice story regardless of whether it actually happened (embellishments aside). I reckon, you'll get a lot more out of being forgiving in game than you will out of being vengeful.

#16 2018-04-14 05:00:56

Drakulon

evan.woods, Naeght, Shialac, Antichthon, carrotlover, Truthseeker, the only reason Thexus wrote that is that people like you reply.
You all got trolled, correct behaviour is to ignore, Thexus knows that.
He was mod and was telling that to people lol
Idk what happend, apperantly he is not mod anymore and tries to point out now why a mod is needed.

#17 2018-04-14 05:18:24

evan.woods

Drakulon wrote:

evan.woods, Naeght, Shialac, Antichthon, carrotlover, Truthseeker, the only reason Thexus wrote that is that people like you reply.
You all got trolled, correct behaviour is to ignore, Thexus knows that.
He was mod and was telling that to people lol
Idk what happend, apperantly he is not mod anymore and tries to point out now why a mod is needed.

lololol

yeah, uh. yeah. Clever. I am so amused. Nazism and facimism are *hilarious*. Thanks.

Fuck you.

Last edited by evan.woods (2018-04-14 05:28:15)

#18 2018-04-14 05:21:36

Drakulon

evan.woods wrote:

lololol

yeah, uh. yeah. Clever. I am so amused. Nazism and famism are *hilarious*. Thanks.

Fuck you.

from the wiki:
"In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement."

Dont let random words from the internet harm you smile

#19 2018-04-14 05:33:12

evan.woods

Drakulon wrote:
evan.woods wrote:

lololol

yeah, uh. yeah. Clever. I am so amused. Nazism and famism are *hilarious*. Thanks.

Fuck you.

from the wiki:
"In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement."

Ironic Nazis are still Nazis:
https://newrepublic.com/article/139004/ … till-nazis

Emotional responses aren't bad qua reponses. Such responses at least sometimes track something.

If we can't all say that "ironic" fascists are the bad, then we're lost.

If we can't all say that fascists are bad, then we're all too far gone.

Last edited by evan.woods (2018-04-14 05:39:12)

#20 2018-04-14 06:14:43

Alleria

evan.woods wrote:
Drakulon wrote:
evan.woods wrote:

lololol

Fuck you.

from the wiki:

Ironic Nazis are still Nazis:
https://newrepublic.com/article/139004/ … till-nazis

Emotional responses aren't bad qua reponses. Such responses at least sometimes track something.

If we can't all say that "ironic" fascists are the bad, then we're lost.

If we can't all say that fascists are bad, then we're all too far gone.

"Because people who differ from me politically are literally Nazis!"

So what if Thexus is a fascist? Unless you suspect him of any actual wrongdoing, then stop being a whiny little bitch. Last time I checked, it's the current year, not 1984...

Last edited by Alleria (2018-04-14 06:16:22)

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#21 2018-04-14 08:28:51

Lavea

I'm wondering about joining and stuff like this makes me really think I don't want to. I'm really glad he learned something, and hope he does take it forward, in real life as well. But how common do people find this stuff? I don't want to invest in a game if it's going to be a waste of my time to some other griefers sadistic thrill. What balance do people find there is in general playing this game, between people actually achieveing things together and making something worthwhile to be proud of, and constant uggh what's the point with griefers making it a horrible experience, and worse placing their bad actions on the people doing nothing, claiming they're "begging for it" by not actively doing everything possible every waking minute to stop them doing the wrong thing?

#22 2018-04-14 09:35:17

Alleria

Lavea wrote:

I'm wondering about joining and stuff like this makes me really think I don't want to. I'm really glad he learned something, and hope he does take it forward, in real life as well. But how common do people find this stuff? I don't want to invest in a game if it's going to be a waste of my time to some other griefers sadistic thrill. What balance do people find there is in general playing this game, between people actually achieveing things together and making something worthwhile to be proud of, and constant uggh what's the point with griefers making it a horrible experience, and worse placing their bad actions on the people doing nothing, claiming they're "begging for it" by not actively doing everything possible every waking minute to stop them doing the wrong thing?

I haven't encountered a griefer in the past 5 hours of game-time. The reason you hear so much about griefing is because it's one of the few things to complain about. The game is amazing, even though tech wise we're only around the bronze age. Regarding player toxicity, that's typically reserved to parts of the forum, and the Discord. Yes, I guarantee you will encounter frustrated players, especially as you're learning, but I cannot recommend this game enough, as you'll learn so much. This isn't a game, but a learning experience.

Last edited by Alleria (2018-04-14 09:38:02)

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#23 2018-04-14 10:26:21

TrustyWay

Now that knife kills slower, we could have futur end tech swords to one shoot

#24 2018-04-14 10:50:28

Lavea

Thanks Alleria smile

#25 2018-04-14 12:34:03

Aname

I dont think thexus has to be banned he has to be BURNED!

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

Board footer