One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-17 15:41:36

NiGB0

One Family One Leader

I read that Jason will add more features for hierarchy system, but there's a problem, the people of the families don't follow one person, they follow different people, so, if your family need to migrate no one will do it, because there will be a lot of leaders that only hold the title of "king/duke/baron/etc" and they don't care for others.

I think the solution to this problem is one leader per family. (But there can be Dukes/barons/counts too to be leaders of parts of the family that live in other sites)
How to elect the leader of your family?
First option: If 1/4 of your family follow X person, a box will appear on the screen of all his relatives saying "Do you want
                   X to become the leader of your family?" to accept you need to say "I agree". If 1/2 accepts he will be the
                   new leader.
                   If your family have a leader you can't unfollow him, but an older (55 years old or older) can make a
                   "referendum" to overthrown him, if 1/4 of your family agree the leader will be overthrown.
                   What if there are relatives living in a town that is far away from leader?
                   If there are people living far away from their leader they can choose a leader for them (If the leader of the
                   family is a king the new leader of the new town will be a duke under the control of the king). To
                   choose a leader for they city they need to be 200 meters away from the leader of the family.

Second option: An elective monarchy. Eve will choose her best children/grandchildren/great grandchildren, then the
                       person she chose will choose another good player to be his heir and then this will happen again and again
                       until the family dies out.
                       The leader can be overthrown with the same system of the first option and cadet branches can choose a
                       leader for them with the system of the first option.

Comment better solutions! And sorry for my horrible english.

Eve Gomez

#2 2019-12-17 20:03:42

Kinrany

Re: One Family One Leader

Could you provide an example of a situation where a single family would need to migrate?

#3 2019-12-17 20:06:24

Spoonwood

Kinrany wrote:

Could you provide an example of a situation where a single family would need to migrate?

If the family was strictly vegetarian, they would need to migrate rather quickly, since they couldn't even dig up a spring due to the bellows being blocked.  At least, unless they had an abundance of ponds for eggs I suppose.  If they were vegans, then they would need to migrate more surely.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-17 20:08:06)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-12-17 20:18:00

Kinrany

Surely the situation would be the same even if the group of vegans was not a family?

#5 2019-12-17 20:25:18

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
Kinrany wrote:

If the family was strictly vegetarian, they would need to migrate rather quickly, since they couldn't even dig up a spring due to the bellows being blocked.  At least, unless they had an abundance of ponds for eggs I suppose.  If they were vegans, then they would need to migrate more surely.

If they follow a strict paleo diet, they won't be able to eat ice cream.   Imagine the ramifications!   Without ice cream, there is no purpose for the spoon.   It is s total dead-end.

I'm pretty sure a paleo family would be doomed to failure with just a few short generations, once people start to feel the effects of no processed foods.   I hope this gets fixed soon.

#6 2019-12-17 20:54:45

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

If they follow a strict paleo diet, they won't be able to eat ice cream.   Imagine the ramifications!   Without ice cream, there is no purpose for the spoon.   It is s total dead-end.

Would the lack of milk make a paleo family migrate?  I don't think so, but you would probably have a better handle on that than me Destiny.

DestinyCall wrote:

I'm pretty sure a paleo family would be doomed to failure with just a few short generations ...

Really?  The map is what 7 times the surface of Jupiter?  Couldn't they just pick running straight up, or running straight down for many, many generations and feeding off of wild food?

Danish Clinch.

#7 2019-12-17 21:52:56

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Would the lack of milk make a paleo family migrate?  I don't think so, but you would probably have a better handle on that than me Destiny.

DestinyCall wrote:

I'm pretty sure a paleo family would be doomed to failure with just a few short generations ...

Really?  The map is what 7 times the surface of Jupiter?  Couldn't they just pick running straight up, or running straight down for many, many generations and feeding off of wild food?

It is not the lack of milk that would doom the family, it is a lack of ice cream.   There is no joy without it.    They would die out due to SIDS and generalized depression.   There would be no point in going on.    It doesn't matter if the map is infinite if all of the space is completely devoid of true happiness.

I would think that, of all people, you would appreciate the importance of spoons.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-12-17 21:54:22)

#8 2019-12-18 01:44:31

NiGB0

Kinrany wrote:

I wrote that because Jason wrote that in his post. (I used the example of Jason).

Eve Gomez

#9 2019-12-18 03:07:31

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

It is not the lack of milk that would doom the family, it is a lack of ice cream.   There is no joy without it.    They would die out due to SIDS and generalized depression.   There would be no point in going on.    It doesn't matter if the map is infinite if all of the space is completely devoid of true happiness.

I would think that, of all people, you would appreciate the importance of spoons.

Well done.

Though, if I were to take you seriously, I guess it would be a problem for vegan or vegetarian families.  There are no soy beans.  But banana nice cream I would suppose could be a possibility.  Making such still would require a snow bank.  Banana nice cream I suppose might motivate domestic banana trees.  Drat, I forgot that jungle trees can't grow elsewhere now.  Still, domestic banana trees might mean more banana nice cream.  Maybe there exist more possibilities for plant based ice cream... I don't know.

Still, that wouldn't do anything for paleos.  But, when you insist on keeping your diet in (what you believe was) the stone age, I don't know what can get done for you.  I guess there could be a certain irony, for a paleo family.  Them trying to base their diet on what they believe evolution says humans should eat.   But when confronted with an 'Evolve or Die' world, paleos thinking about evolution leads to them dying.  But since paleos want to have a stone age diet, it could get said that they refuse to evolve.  So, they're gonna die if they try to live in one spot.  And thus I'm not sure what needs fixing for paleos.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-18 09:22:01)

Danish Clinch.

#10 2019-12-18 03:29:24

DestinyCall

Yeah, to be fair, there are currently not that many highly processed foods in OHOL right now, so the majority of the food items should be paleo-friendly. 

Would a pumpkin pie be too advanced?   Probably.  What about plain bread or the various other pies?  Maybe.   I think grain products are generally avoided.   

No portable meat pies would be a pretty serious blow for non-yumming paleo eaters.    And dietary restrictions would limit your food options to less efficient food choices, so you would spend more time on basic food production and preparation. Still, paleo eaters wouldn't be as limited as vegetarians or vegans, so I guess they would be able to survive.   

Banana nice cream would certainly boost morale in the vegan camp ... but they can't make the steel spoon without killing and eating a rabbit.   They need a new type of spoon added to the game.  Perhaps a wood one.  :-)

#11 2019-12-18 08:53:51

Lava

Are yall clowning?

#12 2019-12-18 09:21:22

Spoonwood

Kinrany wrote:

Surely the situation would be the same even if the group of vegans was not a family?

Missed this earlier.  Of course it would.

Danish Clinch.

#13 2019-12-18 09:50:03

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Yeah, to be fair, there are currently not that many highly processed foods in OHOL right now, so the majority of the food items should be paleo-friendly. 

Would a pumpkin pie be too advanced?   Probably.  What about plain bread or the various other pies?  Maybe.   I think grain products are generally avoided.

From the little I've read about them, paleos aren't consistent with what the diet means.  Some authors say one thing, others say another.  I did find a paleo recipe for pumpkin pie.  Wheat and grain is avoided in a paleo diet from what I've read about also.

DestinyCall wrote:

No portable meat pies would be a pretty serious blow for non-yumming paleo eaters.    And dietary restrictions would limit your food options to less efficient food choices, so you would spend more time on basic food production and preparation. Still, paleo eaters wouldn't be as limited as vegetarians or vegans, so I guess they would be able to survive.

I don't know.  I don't think vegans or vegetarians would have their camp devolve into knife fights, even if they could make knives.  But paleos?  Since it's not clear what is paleo and what is not, their camp might devolve into shouting matches about what is paleo and what is not.  That does happen with vegans talking about honey, but that's more of an edge case.  So paleos might have more internal social problems than vegans or vegetarians.  I'm of course, assuming that vegans and vegetarians were just as good at defending their selves from griefers, though maybe not. 

DestinyCall wrote:

Banana nice cream would certainly boost morale in the vegan camp ... but they can't make the steel spoon without killing and eating a rabbit.   They need a new type of spoon added to the game.  Perhaps a wood one.  :-)

*laughs*

Danish Clinch.

#14 2019-12-18 12:54:16

Spoonwood

Lava wrote:

Are yall clowning?

On some things yes, on some things no.

Danish Clinch.

#15 2019-12-18 15:13:59

Starknight_One

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

I don't know.  I don't think vegans or vegetarians would have their camp devolve into knife fights, even if they could make knives.  But paleos?  Since it's not clear what is paleo and what is not, their camp might devolve into shouting matches about what is paleo and what is not.  That does happen with vegans talking about honey, but that's more of an edge case.

... wait. Some vegans argue that honey ... which is literally nothing more than plant pollen that's been partially digested by bees ... isn't vegan-friendly? Do they also refuse to eat food with their fingers, since that means it's touched an animal?

Sorry. I digress. Sometimes the foibles of humanity provoke a response. smile

Spoonwood wrote:

So paleos might have more internal social problems than vegans or vegetarians.  I'm of course, assuming that vegans and vegetarians were just as good at defending their selves from griefers, though maybe not. 

DestinyCall wrote:

*laughs*

My partner has wooden spoons her father whittled himself. You could do it with a flint chip... the results would be a bit rough-and-ready, but serviceable.

#16 2019-12-18 15:17:57

Spoonwood

Starknight_One wrote:

wait. Some vegans argue that honey ... which is literally nothing more than plant pollen that's been partially digested by bees ... isn't vegan-friendly?

Yes, some do.  Bees make honey for other bees, not for the sake of humans.

Danish Clinch.

#17 2019-12-18 15:20:21

Starknight_One

Spoonwood wrote:
Starknight_One wrote:

wait. Some vegans argue that honey ... which is literally nothing more than plant pollen that's been partially digested by bees ... isn't vegan-friendly?

And plants make fruit to produce more plants, not for the sake of humans. What's their point?

#18 2019-12-18 16:16:43

DestinyCall

Starknight_One wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Starknight_One wrote:

And plants make fruit to produce more plants, not for the sake of humans. What's their point?

Vegetarians and vegans have various motivations for their diet and lifestyle choices.   Strict ethical vegans avoid all animal products because they believe that animals do not exist for mankind to use and that it is morally wrong to exploit animals for our own benefit.   

It is kind of the polar opposite of people that hold the belief that God made animals on the earth for mankind to use in whatever way we wish.   

From the perspective of an ethical vegan, animals have the right to exist and carry out their lives without human interference.   More over, many animal husbandry practices are cruel and disrespectful to the animals.   They have very few protections under the law, so it is quite common for animals to be subjected to cruelty, harsh conditions, extreme violations, and death.    Animals are vulnerable to abuse and unable to provide informed consent or report their abusers - like young children.  Similar practices, directed at human beings, would be extremely illegal and immoral.   But when directed at animals, it is normal and socially accepted by most people.

In the example of bees, honey is a vital food source for the hive.    Producing honey requires significant time, energy and labor by the bees and it is necessary to feed their young and sustain the colony during winter.   Removing honeycomb is quite disruptive to the hive and usually results in the death of some bees.   If too much honey is removed or the queen is killed, the entire hive can collapse.

Ideally, a good bee keeper cares for his bees and practices good husbandry skills that sustain the colony and protect them from stress.  But not all bee keeping practices are benign and not all bee keepers are good at their job.  Sometimes, the bees are harmed, either intentionally or through ignorance or accident.

I'm not a vegan, but I do like animals and I can understand why the way we use animals is unacceptable to some people.

#19 2019-12-18 17:17:13

voy178

Starknight_One wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Starknight_One wrote:

And milk used to be grass... but it's missing the point entirely:

One is part of the animal kingdom and one is part of the plant kingdom. Vegans do not consume animal products.

Board footer