One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-12 00:37:11

HerbDashwell

A Discussion on Society and Culture [THESIS]

I often go through lives as a humble baker, carrot farmer, or other occupations to provide sustenance to the ever growing village. Everyone, at least most of the time, work in tandem and harmony to create a society that provides for their posterity. I have noticed, however, that these aforementioned villages lack something, a vital part to the ideas that classic civilization was founded upon, as well as what sparks change in the community. Culture. It is defined as "the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively." One could argue that the progress of tribes through advancements in technology is a sign of culture, but let us realize also that the arts as well are most often referred to when in the discussion of Culture. The tribes, while mostly organized and are progressing in such a way that their offspring will have no worries in life so long as they remain vigilant in work.
  Tasks are assigned by mothers, or by choice, but this can often times lead to the demise of a village, as tasks as menial as watering crops are over looked, or the deforestation of certain species of trees. Some villages have taken to assigning a leader, either through a Maternal Monarchy or a direct Democracy. It is rare to find, but they do exist, these pockets. In these societies, work is delegated and maintained by leadership, a sense of Governance. One could again argue that the current means of dictating life are working, "why fix it if it isn't broken?" That's just it though, the same cookie cutter society works, it progresses, it grows and lives, but does it flourish? No. The ability to think, to trade and to explore are severely limited in the current model, as they maintain the striking ability to develop, but not to blossom. Like a carrot that never blossoms. It provides, but does not lead to more. More, in a sense of spreading culture.
  Culture, you may say, is not necessary, as this is a game, or possibly that the current model is in fact culture, as, yes, "many if not all people follow the same pattern." The issue is though, it never gives the sense of desiring more. Does this sound repetitive? As well as it should, as this is how the way we currently play feels.

It is time for a change, a gradual one. A time to develop governance and a new sense of kinship, with our family clans, and the surrounding. Roads are the hope of a future like this, connecting civilization and giving a platform for new ones to be set. Progress waits for no one, and never stops.

Last edited by HerbDashwell (2018-04-12 00:43:23)

#2 2018-04-12 03:38:19

Azrael

Re: A Discussion on Society and Culture [THESIS]

:"( I'm crying that was beautiful...

But in all seriousness, please be patient with Jason, he's really trying his best, and I understand that the game lacks diversity and culture as everything everyone does in every village is relatively similar at the moment. But as time moves on and people become smarter and stop relying on others for nutrition and guidance, an actual society like the ones you mentioned can occur. A direct democracy, a monarchy, maybe even a trading system, capitalism and so much more!

For now, we are patient, until more items and events and diversity can be added to the game, you will get your culture eventually. smile

Just a cool dude trying to play some OHOL and have some fun! smile

My longest most recent line: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1360606

#3 2018-04-12 04:57:45

Dredonkey

"an actual society like the ones you mentioned can occur. A direct democracy, a monarchy, maybe even a trading system, capitalism and so much more! " *soviet anthem begins to play*

#4 2018-04-12 06:55:06

breezeknight

(since it's a broad topic, so i limit myself)

OHOL needs badly culture, especially options/tools of art & design
those tools/options should enable at the very least the Eve player to set a visible footprint in art/design to define the family,
name alone is not enough, even if there was a family tree, that's not enough

from that basic Eve's art/design the culture of the family should grow in a way making it not repeatable elsewhere
at least some members of a family should have access to art/design to define an exclusive appearance & make the family recognizable, not repeatable elsewhere, unique
exchangeability makes the gameplay boring & players not to care

#5 2018-04-12 07:15:55

YAHG

Can not trade without some way to clearly own items, also transportation costs
are pretty rough atm.

As per the roads, I think they were part of what brought on the Apocalypse as
they were how all the Eves usually found their ways to the ruins.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#6 2018-04-12 09:21:26

TrustyWay

This game becomes more a family survival game than a civilizations growing culture. The way it takes which I think isn't less boring, it even more stressful. Therefore the game is open source, I don't have the ability to code. Now it is constant food making and in the futur it will become harder. Jason want us to move at certain point. I hope we will become fully sustainable on day and grow back some civilizations.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-04-12 09:21:42)

#7 2018-04-12 09:57:52

Harry

I think culture in terms of religion has started to pop up. I've seen the "anti-spider god" appear on the forums a few times and myself created the Great Bear God after my eve was chased by a bear to a prosperous land.

#8 2018-04-13 05:49:03

OneLife Worker

You should check out those guys running the carrot church. The Carrotists. They are currently your best bet towards forming a sort of culture and governance. They’re not very mainstream yet because of the limited communication ingame.

#9 2018-04-13 07:54:40

yvanhooe

Before the Apocalypse I wanted to make a lot of wool hats and dye them blue, call ourselves smurfs and make war to the filthy red people.

It is limited, but through dyed pieces of clothing, you can already do some stuff.

#10 2018-04-13 08:00:37

Aname

The cactus god

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#11 2018-04-13 08:52:47

TrustyWay

yvanhooe wrote:

Before the Apocalypse I wanted to make a lot of wool hats and dye them blue, call ourselves smurfs and make war to the filthy red people.

It is limited, but through dyed pieces of clothing, you can already do some stuff.

I really like the smurf thing

#12 2018-04-13 15:56:30

fragilityh14

I know I need to do better at giving directions when i'm an eve. It's so frustrating when villages collapse because no one is doing basic things. For example, i thought I was being helpful grabbing new baskets and bringing them back filled with berries as an elder. People just forgot to water five fields of planted carrots and there was a food collapse. Hopefully a woman survived in the brush, as someone did get them watered shortly before I died. Just came back to no food hmm If my memory serves the most unfortunate part was that time i came back with carrot seeds, not food, as I didn't know a food crisis had suddenly occurred and that someone had already planted the fields.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#13 2018-04-13 23:05:15

Gerard_Heime

I think that currently oral communication is too time consuming to form some sort of oral culture. Passing any kind of knowledge from generation to generation is annoying. People are too busy working to survive. Most of them don't waste time on any sort of in-game communication, even naming kids. Once some sort of material culture is introduced to the game, such as writing or painting symbols, people will use them mostly in a practical way, to organize villages (mark carrot patches for seed production, mark directions to resource-rich areas, etc.).

Last edited by Gerard_Heime (2018-04-13 23:05:56)

#14 2018-04-13 23:42:26

Lily

[

Gerard_Heime wrote:

I think that currently oral communication is too time consuming to form some sort of oral culture. Passing any kind of knowledge from generation to generation is annoying. People are too busy working to survive. Most of them don't waste time on any sort of in-game communication, even naming kids. Once some sort of material culture is introduced to the game, such as writing or painting symbols, people will use them mostly in a practical way, to organize villages (mark carrot patches for seed production, mark directions to resource-rich areas, etc.).

I think the best time to do it, is as a mother when you got a bunch of babies around a fire or something. Often times you can't really work when you are raising the child during their first few years before they can pick items up. So you can pass things on at that time. If things are going well, ideally an old person would come over as well. An old person with fewer than 8 hunger boxes left can't really do much running around and working any longer, so they are ideal for heading over and just talking to babies and stuff.

I would definitely say taking the time to talk to people saves you more time overall, so it is usually worth it. And doing it when they are sitting around not be able to do much(because their too old or too young) is even better.

#15 2018-04-14 13:26:31

HerbDashwell

I plan on writing another thesis soon, so keep your eyes peeled for more controversy wink

Board footer