One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#101 2019-12-11 19:23:21

kaidu

Re: Hierarchies

In general I like the idea. But:

- having a tree (aka one leader per induced subtree) is dangerous. As soon as a griefer becomes leader, he can abuse this power. How to prevent that? As many people here already said, there is just not enough time to build up trust. One griefer could just behave friendly until getting the crown and then exile everyone

- having a hierarchy is nice, because it gives bell towers a new perspective to form a kingdom or empire. But maybe this is a second step. For the moment, we might just need a flat hierarchy; the system could be extended to a hierarchy later.

- as one person with power is always dangerous, I would rather suggest to allow multiple persons to have power. Basically, as much as you like. Every decision has to be done by the majority, so having more leaders makes everything complicated. A town has to decide if they want a single leader, or two, or three and so on.

- furthermore, having multiple leaders do not allow to follow a leader. You have to follow a group or tribe. So there needs to be a system to create new tribes, similar how you name your children (maybe with a list of townnames?). "I name this tribe XYZ". Then people can say "I follow XYZ" or "Im part of XZY". Every leader should be able to announce a heir, who automatically takes over then the leader dies.

- I like the idea of colored speech bubbles. This shows the player when a leader is giving a command. It would be also nice, if leaders have a larger "range" of talking (maybe not global, as suggested in the other thread, but larger than just the screen).

- many people complain about this will end up in unexperienced players bossing other players around. I disagree. It totally depends on how the players want to play the game. There might be towns without a leader at all. Towns, who have a leader just to protect against griefers. And towns, where the leader enforces his power and gives commands.

- actually, I also like the idea of having in-game objects that are necessary to found a tribe. Like somebody mentioned a townhall, or a crown. I'm not exactly sure what it could be, but it would be cool to have some kind of requirement to build a new tribe. That would also prevent that every player is creating his own tribes just for fun.

#102 2019-12-11 20:11:14

Gogo
Banned

kaidu wrote:

How to prevent that?

Choose wisely. The ones that will try too hard to be a new ruler will become suspicious. There is always at least one good person in town, isn't it?

kaidu wrote:

- as one person with power is always dangerous, I would rather suggest to allow multiple persons to have power.

What if two rulers became bad and start working together for fun, how to overthrown them?

Last edited by Gogo (2019-12-11 20:13:59)

#103 2019-12-11 20:37:35

Kinrany

kaidu wrote:

- having a tree (aka one leader per induced subtree) is dangerous. As soon as a griefer becomes leader, he can abuse this power. How to prevent that? As many people here already said, there is just not enough time to build up trust. One griefer could just behave friendly until getting the crown and then exile everyone

Um, how exactly is a flat hierarchy better?

And exiling everyone is completely useless since only the griefer will see everyone as exiles. She'll get lynched, and the dukes will choose a new king.

#104 2019-12-11 22:05:04

kaidu

Gogo wrote:

What if two rulers became bad and start working together for fun, how to overthrown them?

Its not about being bad or good. Its about preventing abuse by griefers. Having two griefers ending up as leader is totally unlikely.

Kinrany wrote:

Um, how exactly is a flat hierarchy better?

Its not better. I just would suggest to first implement a flat hierarchy, check out how it works out in practice, and think about more complicated systems afterwards.

Kinrany wrote:

And exiling everyone is completely useless since only the griefer will see everyone as exiles. She'll get lynched, and the dukes will choose a new king.

Having only one leader means he can misuse his power as he wants. As the whole thing does not really have power, this might not be that horrible at all. But the consequences are, that you have to "re-found" the tribe (in your system that would mean, everyone has to follow a new leader).
Beside that, I just suggest to add the possibility to have multiple leaders, but every village could decide for itself. It would make thinks more save, if other special leader abilities are added later. But I don't really have a problem with the idea of only one leader neither.

#105 2019-12-11 22:32:15

Gogo
Banned

I just played an hour thinking how it will works if Jason add this, time is the main factor in this game so I will say one leader is better than arguing, but yeah it's dangerous. Leaders will pass leadership mostly to kids/closest relatives.

Board footer