One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-13 03:19:33

Pai

Wrong Locations / AFK Ghosts

When entering a new area sometimes players standing still are not shown where they're actually standing and will be shown a screen or more away in a wrong location and you cannot feed them any food. If they move they'll run at hyper speed to their real location if nearby or simply disappear. Stranger yet, these ghosts sometimes persist for long periods of time doing nothing to the point they should've died of starvation but you cannot see them eating any food or taking any actions. If you leave the area and come back they disappear.

On a remote custom server the location bug is reproducible by walking out of an area with a second client, walking around with the first client, then walking back in with the second and seeing the first client clearly isn't standing where they should be. Mind you I have a satellite connection with 800ms ping so it might be easier for me to reproduce due to a timing issue somewhere. I haven't tested it yet on a local custom server.

I don't know how the game is coded but I get the feeling maybe because the client has the other character's location wrong it's not checking if they've actually left the area or not and leaves behind these AFK ghosts that are nowhere to be seen if you leave and come back. I imagine the server is no longer sending data to you for that player but the client mistakenly thinks it's still there.

This might also be tied into the invisible people bug. Perhaps by getting the wrong location the client mistakenly thinks a player has left the area and deactivates showing them even though they're still there and moving stuff around like a poltergeist.

Also I recall seeing a moving ice hole once entering a new area and a moving bowl. The wrong location bug tends to show players and objects being further southeast than they actually are. Once you get close to them they move to another location, but for players they're clearly standing somewhere they're not.

Board footer