One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-30 15:35:10

karltown_veteran

Suggestion Still Stands: Dads

Trade update is all about family unity.
And wine comes with a lot of "accidental pregnancies."
What better way to communicate to your non-related drinking buddy who doesn't speak your language than to say. "You're the father" with a ding noise, then a father role shoes up by his name.
Also the daughter/son could be bilingual.
There'd have to be some conditions or this would just be a loophole to avoid learning language.
Maybe they'd have to be married first? Or perhaps just cut the bilingual all together.
A smart way to link together families. (possibly literally link, if dads are added in family tree) Also I really want it so.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#2 2019-11-30 16:30:18

Spoonwood

Re: Suggestion Still Stands: Dads

Alright, so imagine that there's only one person on the server (this happens almost all the time on servers 2-15).  This is suppose to, in part, be a game of parenting.  So, how do we get the parenting aspect of the game going with dads needed for reproduction?

Or would dads not be needed for reproduction?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-11-30 17:20:43

karltown_veteran

Spoonwood wrote:

Alright, so imagine that there's only one person on the server (this happens almost all the time on servers 2-15).  This is suppose to, in part, be a game of parenting.  So, how do we get the parenting aspect of the game going with dads needed for reproduction?

Or would dads not be needed for reproduction?

They wouldn’t be needed. They could boost fertility or have some other perk.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#4 2019-11-30 17:57:54

DestinyCall

Another perk of fatherhood - biracial families.    Ginger lady meets a nice black guy.  They decide to get married ... now she has a chance of having either ginger OR black babies.   

We already have a "genetic score" .... could we have ACTUAL genetics in the game also?

#5 2019-11-30 19:19:17

Spoonwood

karltown_veteran wrote:

They wouldn’t be needed. They could boost fertility or have some other perk.

If men boosted fertility, then Eves would be less likely to have children.  I mean, how will Eve find a man?  Eves would go to the back of the fertility queue.  If the balance wasn't right there, then Eve wouldn't have a child.  Or some Eve wouldn't have a child when she would currently.  No children for an Eve means she only gets to a play a game of civilization building, and not a game of parenting.  I mean, she wouldn't even have such an opportunity to have a child at any point.  At least I don't see how Eve could find a mate to boost her odds, unlike how Eves can yum some and make a fire to increase their fertility probability/change their spot in the fertility queue.

I've been a critic of Jason's vision on many things, as I think you may remember.  However, I think I understand why he made the whole gender system (actually not... I don't see why gender even exists in this game), as absurd and unrealistic as it is, with respect to fertility.  I don't see how dads can work in the context of a game of parenting.

How would dads going to work in a somewhat low population context?  Let us consider the following scenario: 5 people are on the server.  One family has a dad increasing fertility probability, with a mother, a dad, and a daughter.  There exists another family with a mother and a daughter.  The one with the dad gets the next two children coming into the server, because of say timing of people coming in.  No one else joins the server until the mother and the daughter both get too old to have a child.  The daughter never gets to play a game of parenting.  But, what if she could have without dads?

I think that dads would lead to scenarios like that happening sometimes (note that population is low initially during an update and tends to drop during the early A. M. period EST, and servers 2-15 exist also).  So, I think that dads would lead to fewer parenting opportunities for players with no way for them to make them more likely.  I could be wrong, and have missed some way to make dads feasible without decreasing parenting opportunities for players.  But, I don't think that decreasing parenting opportunities is inline with the vision (from Jason) for this game, nor should it be in line with a superior vision for this game.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-30 19:29:36)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-11-30 21:30:43

Bowser

This is not an official suggestion, and I have no idea how hard it would be to implement, but this is what I'd like to see:

Having a dad would be optional, but if you have a male of appropriate age (anything before elder or after the same fertility age when women first get it), can cause women to have a somewhat higher birthrate and, if this happens, have the male that helped with this be called "father" instead of "uncle", "cousin", etc.  The difference would probably lean towards being minor so that people didn't feel like it was necessary to have a male for this, and it didn't punish new families.  But it would give men a more valuable purpose for family lines.

That said, this is not where my suggestion ends, because I feel like there is a lot of potential with having 'dads'.  If there are other families living in the same town and they have a male next to females, they, too, could be a 'father' for a different family, and there would be a 50/50 chance that the family would bear a child of that type of color with the female's family name.  If this happens, said child would speak the language of both parents' families and be able to perform their specialty for them (snow, jungle, desert, etc).

This wouldn't pass down to children except if children were of that same color, for instance if a mother of a different skin than the family had a child that was the same skin as the family, they wouldn't be able to speak the mother's language, only the family's original language (but could still communicate with mom, who can speak both).  Likewise if they had a third or fourth skin color descendant, the descendants would just speak the original family's language and their own type.

Lastly, these changes would give hope to families that no longer have fertile females, that are on the verge of dying out.  If they can't continue their own family, they could at least contribute to another family so that they could continue their lineage through them.

I think this would give more value to towns with multiple families, and give white families a more interesting role with the update (I wasn't around before it to see what things were like).  However I could see this being difficult to implement.  The family trees in particular would be hard, but even if we just didn't show the dad's descendants (but had the child's relation them if either are clicked) this would be an appreciated change.  I know that I feel kind of useless as a male, but i play through the lives all the same and help my families as best as I can.

PS: I am kind of against "Adams", because the odds of them finding an Eve is low, and I don't think it would help.  But that is just me, and I would not be upset if they were added... I just question if they are a good idea, or would be likely to help.  Maybe if Adams had a special ability to detect the location of other Eves, in which case that would actually be kind of cool... provided they aren't a griefer.

Last edited by Bowser (2019-11-30 21:32:28)

#7 2019-11-30 23:17:09

karltown_veteran

Bowser wrote:

This is not an official suggestion, and I have no idea how hard it would be to implement, but this is what I'd like to see:

Having a dad would be optional, but if you have a male of appropriate age (anything before elder or after the same fertility age when women first get it), can cause women to have a somewhat higher birthrate and, if this happens, have the male that helped with this be called "father" instead of "uncle", "cousin", etc.  The difference would probably lean towards being minor so that people didn't feel like it was necessary to have a male for this, and it didn't punish new families.  But it would give men a more valuable purpose for family lines.

That said, this is not where my suggestion ends, because I feel like there is a lot of potential with having 'dads'.  If there are other families living in the same town and they have a male next to females, they, too, could be a 'father' for a different family, and there would be a 50/50 chance that the family would bear a child of that type of color with the female's family name.  If this happens, said child would speak the language of both parents' families and be able to perform their specialty for them (snow, jungle, desert, etc).

This wouldn't pass down to children except if children were of that same color, for instance if a mother of a different skin than the family had a child that was the same skin as the family, they wouldn't be able to speak the mother's language, only the family's original language (but could still communicate with mom, who can speak both).  Likewise if they had a third or fourth skin color descendant, the descendants would just speak the original family's language and their own type.

Lastly, these changes would give hope to families that no longer have fertile females, that are on the verge of dying out.  If they can't continue their own family, they could at least contribute to another family so that they could continue their lineage through them.

I think this would give more value to towns with multiple families, and give white families a more interesting role with the update (I wasn't around before it to see what things were like).  However I could see this being difficult to implement.  The family trees in particular would be hard, but even if we just didn't show the dad's descendants (but had the child's relation them if either are clicked) this would be an appreciated change.  I know that I feel kind of useless as a male, but i play through the lives all the same and help my families as best as I can.

PS: I am kind of against "Adams", because the odds of them finding an Eve is low, and I don't think it would help.  But that is just me, and I would not be upset if they were added... I just question if they are a good idea, or would be likely to help.  Maybe if Adams had a special ability to detect the location of other Eves, in which case that would actually be kind of cool... provided they aren't a griefer.

Your idea is a lot more polished than mine, lol. I dislike Adams. If the change is minor anyway, it makes no sense.
Jason could also do "mixed" skin tones if he wanted to go all out, and these skins could perform both family specialties / languages. But only a 33% change of these, 33% mom's skin tone (and mom's language and specialty), 33% dad's tone (and dad's language and specialty).
A new skin tone would take a lot of work but it would really unify towns smile I think it would be great.

Board footer