One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-26 18:13:34

Spoonwood

Problem: Affected Emotion Seems Off

So, we were a very early stage camp.  I was the daughter of an Eve who seemed rather new (probably not first game... low pop context).  We have a kiln and a fire up.  I'm an adult, and a baby pops out.  She's on the ground, and I think I get that.  Like she's born helpless and I'll need to take responsibility.  She's cold and on the ground, so I pick up and put her on the fire.  I'm expecting I can help out my mom with her camp and maybe my daughter's life could be a little bit easier or more enjoyable if I get some of the early game stuff done.  But, when I put her on the fire she's on the ground.  And it's like I'm an irresponsible mother who has deliberately thrown her child on the ground, when I think my character had acted responsibly.

1. She had placed her child in a warm spot, so her pip drain rate would be more forgiving than if left on the ground.

2. She had in mind to make the life for her daughter easier or more fun.

And I'm well aware there's no need to hold a child for any longer than necessary in this game.

So, the affected emotion seems off.

The natural solution to me would seem to me have the baby no longer be on the ground if placed on a fire, though I will emphasize this thread is about understanding the problem and why it's a problem in the first place.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2019-11-27 10:44:53

Lum

Re: Problem: Affected Emotion Seems Off

So... straw or fur beds?

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#3 2019-11-27 16:00:35

Spoonwood

Straw would seem a more reasonable choice to me than fur.

Danish Clinch.

#4 2019-11-27 19:34:10

Angel Carrillo

Maybe the child should be sitting if you place them down?

#5 2019-11-27 22:14:05

Kaveh

Sitting/lying down implies the kid shouldn't be able to move from that spot after. You want kids to be stuck in immobility for longer than the 12 seconds they lie flat on the floor already? Nyeh.

I don't feel it looks irresponsible to put your kid on the floor by the fire anyway. Why do you feel that way? It's just irresponsible if you leave them there and never come back (even in more advanced towns- don't just ditch your kid with another lady, ASK if they'll take care of them if you really need to go).

In early stages (pre-clothes) you have 2 options (if you HAVE to work):
1. Put them by the fire to keep them warm, but alone for a short amount of time.
2. Take them with you, but they'll be cold and miserable while your hands are full.

Neither of those are optimal, but both are responsible in their own way (one for saving YOUR pips, the other for saving the baby).
I generally ONLY go for option 1 if I'll be working close to the fire. If not, I tend to take my baby with me so it knows where I am and they don't have to be worried about food. If food is (very) scarce, I'll take my baby away from camp to some berry bushes a little ways away so I don't use up all the food in/near camp and I can make sure the baby survives. At that point my work will just have to wait a bit.

Cuz of how I play, I'd much much rather have a baby sling than a little cushion to put my baby on- even if I can't feed it while it's in the sling (if it's on the back like a backpack). My body warmth could keep the baby warm and I just have to take them out for a sec when they're hungry.

#6 2019-11-28 04:31:09

Spoonwood

Kaveh wrote:

I don't feel it looks irresponsible to put your kid on the floor by the fire anyway. Why do you feel that way?

Because the movement of this game seems kind of jerky, I think.  It felt like I threw her on the ground.  Also, she was NOT crying when I held in her my arms.  But, my baby was crying once she was on the ground.  Like I had hurt her.

I know that I wasn't being irresponsible... just in the moment it felt like that for a split second.

Kaveh wrote:

In early stages (pre-clothes) you have 2 options (if you HAVE to work):
1. Put them by the fire to keep them warm, but alone for a short amount of time.
2. Take them with you, but they'll be cold and miserable while your hands are full.

3. Move along doing what you would do if you had no child and hope that s/he follows you and signals to you when s/he needs fed.

Also, if one is smithing, my experience is that a child won't starve before you cover the kiln or the fire in the forge burns out.

Before the temperature overhaul we once also had:

4. Find an appropriate naturally good temperature spot on the map and place them there.  Similar to how placing the child on the fire, getting/doing something, and then coming back to the child, but you had many more spots on the map where you could do that.

Kaveh wrote:

Cuz of how I play, I'd much much rather have a baby sling than a little cushion to put my baby on- even if I can't feed it while it's in the sling (if it's on the back like a backpack). My body warmth could keep the baby warm and I just have to take them out for a sec when they're hungry.

There have existed repeated calls for a baby sling from what I can remember.  Possibly it's a problem that there's no way to effectively transport a child without carrying it.  That said, if you carry a backpack, you can carry the child most of the time while getting something out of camp, though clearly not as much potential at resource gathering as men have in this game.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer