One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-30 03:26:12

Nubbcakes

Install issues

tried to reinstall the game to see if it'd help with the crashes, redownloaded the zip and extracted it, when i try to log in i get an error saying failed to update, move the folder somewhere that isn't read only, so i just tossed it on my desktop like i did the first time i installed it and received the same error, but it still popped up. checked the folder properties, tried unchecking read only option only to find that it re-checks itself, apparently this is normal with windows 10, so i tried tinkering with the permissions on the computer even though the user i've been playing on is the only profile there, and no luck, it keeps going back to read only.

so i tried installing the game on a second windows 10 machine, and i'm getting the same issue on this computer as well.

basically i'm just kind of confused as to why i just can't get the game installed again, even though i've been playing it with no issues since installing it a few days ago, and wondering if anyone else is having this problem or has any suggestions at all.

#2 2018-03-30 03:39:00

Traddy

Re: Install issues

So I got the same issue, extracted the game, moved to "Program Files", launched game, "Update Failed, read-only blah blah", so I went back to files, moved the game file to "Program Files (x86), launched again, problem fixed. Hope that helps.

Charles Hart - Killed by Silvia Hart
Final words: "I have the knife"
––––––––––––––––––––––
UnregisteredAccount

#3 2018-03-30 05:42:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yikes... windows permissions are apparently an inconsistent nightmare.

I'm sorry about this.

The best bet is to extract fresh from the original extractor on your Desktop.  That seems to work for most people.  But maybe Windows 10 doesn't even have a desktop anymore?

#4 2018-03-30 09:00:59

Nomad313

Having the same problem too, tried fixing it a number of ways but couldn't figure it out. All it tells me is "move game folder to somewhere that is not read-only". Please help

#5 2018-03-30 15:59:20

Nubbcakes

Traddy wrote:

So I got the same issue, extracted the game, moved to "Program Files", launched game, "Update Failed, read-only blah blah", so I went back to files, moved the game file to "Program Files (x86), launched again, problem fixed. Hope that helps.

yeah i gave that a shot, no luck sadly sad

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yikes... windows permissions are apparently an inconsistent nightmare.

I'm sorry about this.

The best bet is to extract fresh from the original extractor on your Desktop.  That seems to work for most people.  But maybe Windows 10 doesn't even have a desktop anymore?

i did go ahead and try extracting it directly to both desktop and downloads, as well as tried to make a new folder and copy the files to it, but no luck. also tried running as admin. i feel like at this point my computer is causing issues since the read-only option keeps rechecking itself, but i'm just kind of baffled that it wasn't causing issues before, i think i installed the game about 5 days ago and now all of a sudden it's a problem lol
gonna keep trying though!!

Last edited by Nubbcakes (2018-03-30 16:04:18)

#6 2018-03-30 16:47:47

Nubbcakes

Okay so i managed to fix it, and i'm not really sure how considering i haven't slept in... way too many hours....
but basically out of frustration with other issues that were popping up while trying to fix this problem, i just decided to do a reset of windows. did all that, tried to run the game, still getting the same issue, so i just pinned the onelife.exe to my start menu, ran as admin again, and it's... working??? somehow??
i'm so tired lmao

#7 2018-03-31 18:36:06

dbltnk

I had the same issue and found a fix.

Initially tried installing the game to my Downloads folder, the Desktop, Programs(x86) and a couple more locations. Manually removed the "read-only" flag whenever I moved the game to a new location, beforerestarting it etc - none of that worked.

Here is what did:

- Installed the game to the Desktop.
- Right-clicked to remove "read-only" from the folder and all sub-files.
- Started the game (OneLife.exe).
- Tabbed out of the game.
- Right-clicked to remove "read-only" from the folder and all sub-files AGAIN.
- Tabbed back into the game.
- Clicked "Login" which triggers the update.
-> Now it worked.

So it seems like the game is setting the "read-only" flags when it starts.

#8 2018-03-31 19:29:57

Praecantetia

Ok so first of all the Debug tool keeps saying it's broken when I extract it with 7zip,
and the game installer itself is telling me that "An error prevents this programm from continuing. could not get file info. the archive is likely corrupted" every time it hits
"OneLife_v65/groundTileCache_99999_x2_y0.tga" wich is at about a 6th of the installation in.
I can't even attempt to start the game rn because the exe is missing.

I'm using windows 10

Last edited by Praecantetia (2018-04-01 16:41:20)

#9 2018-03-31 22:19:09

happynova

I'm having the read-only problem in Windows 10, too, including when I try extracting it to downloads and to the desktop.  They all have read-only checked, and any time I uncheck it, it just rechecks itself again after I try running the game.  Nothing I've tried, including the suggestions provided by other users above, or fiddling with user permissions for the folder seems to work.  I'll try checking back here in the future to see if there's a fix for this, but for the moment, it looks like I'm out twenty bucks and the opportunity to play what looks like a very cool game. sad

In the meantime, this problem seems to be common enough that maybe you might want to provide a warning to people before they buy that it doesn't necessarily work on Windows 10?

#10 2018-04-01 00:19:01

Tailszefox

Add me to the "me too" pile of people having this issue with Windows 10. Just got the game a few hours ago, tried installing it to the Desktop, and yeah, I can't get past the update screen.

Two things I've managed to gather:
- The "Read Only" attribute on the folder is normal on Windows 10. You can't remove it. If you check any folder on your hard drive, you'll see that it's set as read only. However, like it says next to the checkbox, the attribute only applies to files inside the folder, which means it has no effect on the folder itself. I'm not really sure why the checkbox shows up in the first place for folders if it doesn't have any effect, but in any case, it shouldn't be what's causing this issue.

- Since no one has posted it yet, here's the last few lines of stdout.txt after trying to update the game:

Updating 4 files
   languages/English.txt
File languages/English.txt exists, moving temporariliy to languages/English.txt.bak
   no_copyright.txt
File no_copyright.txt exists, moving temporariliy to no_copyright.txt.bak
   OneLife.exe
File OneLife.exe exists, moving temporariliy to OneLife.exe.bak
Moving backup to OneLife.exe.bak failed
Ending update process
Trying to restore languages/English.txt from languages/English.txt.bak
Trying to restore no_copyright.txt from no_copyright.txt.bak

So it looks like (for me at least) that the update fails because the game can't create OneLife.exe.bak. Which is weird, because OneLife.exe.bak is present in the directory after triggering the update. Another weird thing is that the .bak has the modification time the .exe used to have, and the .exe has the modification time of when I tried the update. Which means the game did succeed in backuping the .exe and updating it. It's just that, for some reason, it doesn't seem to detect it properly. Is there a checksum check somewhere that's failing, maybe?

#11 2018-04-01 17:02:19

Wispin

I'm having this problem too sad

Jason, maybe you could release a newly packaged installer with the latest updates? At least then we could play smile

Last edited by Wispin (2018-04-01 17:11:11)

#12 2018-04-01 19:51:23

Oblivion

Got the game today and I am having the same issue, while using windows 10. Tried most of the aforementioned fixes and nothing seems to work. When i change the server settings to connect to a specific server the game does start without updating and because of this most of the textures are bugged.

#13 2018-04-02 00:27:05

Wispin

I found a fix that worked for me -

It isn't related to the permissions, but related to the fact that the OneLife.exe and OneLife.exe.bak already seems to exist, which trips up the updater.

If you:

1. Delete the OneLife.exe.bak
2. Rename the OneLife.exe to something like OneLife1.exe
3. Run the executable + get the update
4. Observe: The update should complete

#14 2018-04-02 00:53:46

happynova

OMG, that worked!  Wispin, you are the best!  I was finally able to play!

(And then got born to an awesome mom in what looked like a great community and promptly died at three because I was so excited to start I forgot to review the controls and couldn't remember how to feed myself.  Ha! Hopefully I will do better next time.)

#15 2018-04-02 05:42:49

jigglybuff

renaming the executable file did it for me. I couldn't find the .bak file which is probably why i have a "OneLife.exe" and a "OneLife1.exe" file. The first few times i tried to run the renamed file it crashed but on the third time(i might have run it as administrator) it worked.

#16 2018-04-02 12:55:45

Oblivion

Wispin N1! Ty for the fix man, it worked. The bak file appears after you fail the update, thats when you apply the fix.

Last edited by Oblivion (2018-04-02 12:57:51)

#17 2018-04-09 02:52:43

baogia0912

Wispin wrote:

It isn't related to the permissions, but related to the fact that the OneLife.exe and OneLife.exe.bak already seems to exist, which trips up the updater.

If you:

OMG it worked thankssssssss!!!

#18 2018-04-09 18:00:30

Supersep

baogia0912 wrote:
Wispin wrote:

If you:

OMG it worked thankssssssss!!!

It indeed worked !
I almost gave up trying lol.
This really needs to get fixed in order to get more players.

#19 2018-04-10 04:38:40

jasonrohrer
Administrator

So it sounds like the game is having problems moving its own EXE on Windows 10.

This is not that strange, I suppose, given that the EXE is currently running.

This is also probably why a lot of PC games use a separate updater of some kind (like LOL).

Regarding the move actually happening, but the game not noticing it for some reason, I will look into that.

I just looked at the code, and it's pretty straight forward std c rename.  Nothing fancy there.  So I think it's probably actually failing, and you may have the .bak file around from a previous run or something.

The other option here is to do what the Mac version does and actually install an EXE with a new name every time and have you start it manually post-update.

Can some of you run the extraction/update on Windows 10 again, see it fail, and then send me stdout.txt so I can take a look for myself?

Create a sub-folder on your Desktop and run the extraction/update process in there.

#20 2018-04-11 00:59:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

A bug was discovered in v65 that is causing "read only" error messages incorrectly.  A work-around has been posted.  Follow your original download link and look for updateGame.bat  Put this file in your game folder and double-click to run it.  You should be able to get the update correctly.

This script essentially executes the "fix" suggested in this thread (thanks for discovering it).

However, I found the bug in the code that is causing the move to fail, and a real fix will be posted soon.

#21 2018-04-11 16:23:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

v65b for Windows was just posted that fixes this problem.

Can someone confirm that v65 didn't work for them, but that v65b works for them now?

If so, I will close this report.

#22 2018-04-11 22:30:46

juicypikachu

v65b doesnt work for me either, i get as far as the files extracting load then nothing

#23 2018-04-11 22:45:43

juicypikachu

just kidding i figured it out

#24 2018-04-12 00:54:47

jasonrohrer
Administrator

And it updated okay the first time you logged in?  You were able to play?

#25 2018-06-04 03:49:32

shaake

I deleted the OneLife.exe.bak file and then it worked. I don't actually know why that helped or if I'm gonna regret it but I downloaded the update and am playing fine

Board footer