One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-23 16:17:21

ShekelCorp

Why build permanent structures vs feed family (Suggestion)

I just started this game a couple days ago and it has been fun, its a good concept. Tends to create an actual community that works together to survive.

However I have noticed the current incentives in the game discourage building structures outside of a kitchen and a couple fences for animals. You have one hour to do everything and after that point everything you did is just gone. You die and are born to a random family anywhere. So what you built you may never see again or it belongs to another family.

Why bother building? You only get points for keeping your family alive not for building things and it takes so long to build anything that you cannot accomplish anything within your lifetime. I've been reborn to the same (city?) 3 times between all my lives and it has not changed within any of those lives (Day apart between first and last spawn). No one builds anything new.

I think that people should be reborn to the same family if that genetic line is maintained to create a sense of persistence to what you build. Then you could build a "family house" where a family tries to keep that genetic line continuing so they can continue to reincarnate. If all family members die then they have to start over again as another random family. Then you would see people creating houses and districts for their family to keep it alive for as long as possible (as they did in real life). You might get a rich elite family running a town that hoards all resources only to face a rebellion of the other families or actual trade between families (family specialization). Families would work together and create mutual defenses or separate defenses and towns would look more like towns.

Probably have to have a way to set your primary, secondary, tertiary family incase your primary family cannot have children at the time of your death or your family just died off, or an option to keep it random.

I just don't see a reason to build half a house that you will never see again when I can just go get more food and pump out more babies for more genetic points. Not like the house really benefits me outside of kitchen purposes.

#2 2019-11-23 16:50:10

arkajalka

Re: Why build permanent structures vs feed family (Suggestion)

Most of the towns are mainly ran and founded by our oldschool  special forces. Theres actually just few experienced players that literally make everything run. They regodnize serious threats early before they have funeled too far and prevent it before you have any clue of what was about to happen. 

Im afraid that this thing where the families that can survive long enough would just funnel the experienced players in few big familys and the rest of the world would strugle in starvation and tech dissadvantage big time.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#3 2019-11-23 17:17:52

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'm still working on things that will make buildings:

1.  More necessary/helpful for long-term survival

2.  Easier to build.

3.  Easier to live in.

This update (today) addresses both issues somewhat.

First, pine walls and floors have become MUCH cheaper (and there's also essentially free snow walls for gingers, from last update).

Second, walls now auto-orient when you place them, so you don't need to fiddle around and waste so much time when building something.

Third, (from previous updates, now refined), there's a very clear indoor bonus to your hunger timer (mouse over your temp meter to see the info).  This bonus is based on how insulating the room is that you're standing in.  But it can dramatically reduce your food consumption rate.  Thus, building some pine rooms, even for an Eve camp, might be an optimal strategy... (not sure about that, but it's no longer obviously sub-optimal).

Fourth, doors are less of a pain to use now.  We have snow doors from last update, but this update introduces auto-opening spring doors that don't affect path-finding.

#4 2019-11-24 10:36:14

voy178

jasonrohrer wrote:

Fourth, doors are less of a pain to use now.  We have snow doors from last update, but this update introduces auto-opening spring doors that don't affect path-finding.

Something that would be really helpful would be if every door would open if you just path-find through, but required you to close it unless it had a spring. Would make our lives easier with less clicks.

Also, by making sheep, fowl and cattle unable to go through gates (and maybe doors) you would also allow for more realistic fences instead of these corner-phobic pens we're building now.

#5 2019-11-24 11:15:42

Coconut Fruit

voy178 wrote:

Something that would be really helpful would be if every door would open if you just path-find through, but required you to close it unless it had a spring. Would make our lives easier with less clicks.

That would change nothing. People don't close doors and they wouldn't close it either after this change.

voy178 wrote:

Also, by making sheep, fowl and cattle unable to go through gates (and maybe doors) you would also allow for more realistic fences instead of these corner-phobic pens we're building now.

Nice idea, yeah, corner-phobic pens are weird.
Tho people would abuse it. They would make sheep pens made of only fence gates and just leave them open all the time, it would be weird too.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#6 2019-11-24 15:32:22

kaidu

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Tho people would abuse it. They would make sheep pens made of only fence gates and just leave them open all the time, it would be weird too.

Not necessarily, if the gate is more expensive to build. Besides that, some people might just build natural fences for the atmosphere and because they are visually more appealing. You don`t  have to enter them that often anyways.

#7 2019-11-24 19:46:18

Gomez

honestly buildings are more worth it now they're  a bit slow to build tho especially early without tire carts. 

Actually had two different lives last night where town rallied on building one was a finished pine four by four and the other was a 4x4 adobe which we even plastered 8 of the the walls.

High quality stone building with bear rugs is pretty legit on  food save though.

They also help keep town organized and zoned e.g. bakery, smith hearth

Seems they're getting some buffs too.

#8 2019-11-24 22:06:56

voy178

Coconut Fruit wrote:
voy178 wrote:

That would change nothing. People don't close doors and they wouldn't close it either after this change.

It would make life a little easier. Just walking anywhere and then just close the door after me is a lot fewer clicks.

#9 2019-11-24 23:03:05

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm still working on things that will make buildings:

1.  More necessary/helpful for long-term survival

2.  Easier to build.

3.  Easier to live in.

Why the constant premise of building buildings in OHOL because of necessity?  In the real world sports stadiums exist.  In the real world art halls exist.  Museums exist.  There was no necessity that the Davis Museum at Wellesley College got built.  The men (and maybe a woman) who built that building may have individually done so for reasons of necessity, but the project was not done because it was necesary.  Why treat OHOL players like they need to do so because of reasons of necessity when those who built a building that helped you didn't complete a building that was necessary in the first place?  If any of them play OHOL, it would just seem rather ungrateful.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer