One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-10 23:35:34

Abazzar

Re: Setting up your personal Linux test editor/server/client

is there anyway i can do this on windows ?

#27 2018-03-11 04:49:51

Phate

What that guy said ^

I have Windows might as well use it.

Last edited by Phate (2018-03-11 04:50:14)

#28 2018-03-11 07:14:02

Uncle Gus

yes

#29 2018-03-13 08:59:54

Volny

Abazzar wrote:

is there anyway i can do this on windows ?

Hey, I managed set up a test server as Jason described using Virtual Box and Ubuntu. If there's interest I can write up a quick guide on the steps required to get this running.

Last edited by Volny (2018-03-13 09:00:19)

#30 2018-03-13 18:52:52

Bimble

Volny, I actually posted a link to a VM I'd built and steps to use it last night.  If you do want to put a guide together for building a test server VM, feel free to use any or all of the steps from my post that could apply (like setting up port forwarding).  I only made a 64-bit image, so a guide could be helpful for people who want to run it on 32-bit systems.

#31 2018-03-14 05:31:54

nouseforname

Hi all,

i posted a small how to, think it actually should be writte in this thread here.

Link: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=507

#32 2018-03-17 12:32:48

emucat

Hello,

I have setup a private Linux Server. Now my question is how to update it...

Is there an easy script? I’m afraid of losing all the progress made in the game.
Also, do I also need to update the clients I have compiled?

Regards,

#33 2018-03-17 18:52:43

Bimble

You should be able to stop the server process and then run Jason's shell script from the main build directory (the one with OneLife, OneLife 7, and minorGems directories).

The script grabs the latest code for the server, client, and editor from GitHub then recompiles them.  I haven't tested it, so I don't know if it resets your progress - I don't think it should.

You should probably update your client to get the latest fixes when you update the server.  If you're not using the one on the test server, you can tell it to not use a custom server (change the contents of useCustomServer.ini to "0") and the client will connect to the main game servers and update.  Then quit and change useCustomServer.ini back to "1".

#34 2018-03-19 13:48:55

emucat

Ok, I tried that and all my stuff is still there.

I see there are some new Goose Pounds so... there are changes... but not sure.

Is there a way to know what version of the server I am running??

Also, on the clients side, I compiled them for my coworkers, but they dont have a key, and therefore I cannot connect to the official servers. Is there any way to do the same and once they connect to my server, push an update?

Regards,

#35 2018-03-21 03:09:50

theraccoonbear

I managed to get the server Dockerized.  I can easily run it locally and have a private server deployed on AWS too.

If you're familiar with Docker/docker-compose it should be fairly easy to get going.  There's also some helper scripts in ./utils/

This gitlab-ci.yml is specific to my deployment, but you're welcome to fork this

https://github.com/theraccoonbear/OHOL

#36 2018-03-27 06:03:24

LavishFox
Website

I spent the last few days setting up and de-bugging a new server. It works flawlessly when I put my IP address into "customserveraddress". It works with both internal and external IPs. The only problem I have is when I try to use my domain, that already points to this server, it won't connect.

Things Ive done already:
- setup and configured OHOL files and directories.
- forwarded port 8005
- verified port is open
- logged in with separate machine via direct IP. (local and external)
- tested domain with pre-existing minecraft server (same machine different VM)
- tried to login to OHOL via URL (stuck on "waiting to be born)(no response from terminal feed)

Any help is appreciated.
I want to make this server public, but only if I can get the URL working.

Last edited by LavishFox (2018-03-27 06:04:19)

#37 2018-03-27 09:26:14

KRN

LavishFox wrote:

- forwarded port 8005
- logged in with separate machine via direct IP. (local and external)
- tried to login to OHOL via URL (stuck on "waiting to be born)(no response from terminal feed)

You dont have to use OHOL client to check if u can connect to the server using any internet browser (like Firefox,Chrome or Explorer/Edge), just use ur "IP:Port" (sth. like "http://192.168.56.xxx:8005/" or "http://mySite.com:8005") and put it into the "Address bar", and u either Fail to find anything instantly OR ur server will reject u after 10 seconds and ur page will say sth like this

SN
0/40
#REJECTED
#

i guess the 0/40 is how much "players is currently on ur server / maxPlayers" u setup for it wink

Last edited by KRN (2018-03-27 09:27:25)

#38 2018-03-27 14:00:30

theraccoonbear

I just tested that method on my own (known to be working, via domain name) server and I got neither of those responses.  My browser said:

This page isn’t working
XXXXX.com sent an invalid response.
ERR_INVALID_HTTP_RESPONSE

clearly it's listening, but I did not get either response you described KRN

#39 2018-03-27 14:23:06

LavishFox
Website

I went back and checked everything and made some changes. Now when I check from browser I get this:

The connection to https://mysite:8005 was interrupted while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

But now my terminal acknowledges the connection.
When I try the same test on another port (I know to work). I get this:

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at https://mysite.com:1234.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web. 

How can I be getting 2 different responses if the server is verifying that the connection is getting through.

#40 2018-03-27 15:56:19

LavishFox
Website

Ok, I think I got it figured out. The browser test returned the proper response. I forgot to make an exception on the firewall of the os running the vm. Even though the test works I can’t test it with the client from my own ip due to my isp. I’ll have to wait till I get to work tonight and use the wifi there. If it works I’ll make it public tomorrow.

Last edited by LavishFox (2018-03-27 15:57:40)

#41 2018-03-28 18:45:35

KRN

theraccoonbear wrote:

I just tested that method on my own ... and I got neither of those responses.
clearly it's listening, but I did not get either response you described KRN

Exactly, u couldnt connect to the server (soo u got THAT as response)

It is just a more convenient way to test if u can connect to it without the need of "OHOL Client" itself wink

LavishFox wrote:

... I forgot to make an exception on the firewall of the os running the vm.  ...I can’t test it with the client from my own ip due to my isp.  ...

I think it is possible to try it thru some "IP testing Website" but dunno for sure.

aaand as i sayed above its just EZ way to test ur server, soo u either Can or CanNot see response on Both sides without the OHOL Client/App
(soo if u dont see response using this u most probably wont see it using the standard way of looking at "Waiting to be born" screen in game, after waiting for loading screen to finish)

its also Usefull to check for the correct IP and stuff like that (just for checking if u CAN connect or Nah roll)

#42 2018-04-11 14:34:14

emucat

Hi,

I have just upaded my Private Server again to the latest version. Also de Mac client. But when I connect to the server I get this:

Got connection
Listening for another connection on port 8005
Got new player logged in
Floating point exception (core dumped)

And the server stops. I can connect with the client to other servers just fine.

Any one else with the same problem?

#43 2018-04-11 14:37:08

emucat

I can also see before that:

No lookTimes present, not cleaning map.db
Stackdb magic string 'Sdb' not found at start of  file header
Error 1 opening map KissDB

#44 2018-04-11 18:02:10

emucat

emucat wrote:

I can also see before that:

No lookTimes present, not cleaning map.db
Stackdb magic string 'Sdb' not found at start of  file header
Error 1 opening map KissDB

Ok, I fixed my issue. I ran makeDBConvert and then convertDBs.sh!

#45 2018-04-12 19:40:56

sliderule

I just completely rebuilt a server, including getting a new push and build script and executing it in a blank folder.

I have a mac that I use as a client machine.  I connected to the official servers and then disconnected and connected to my local server, but during play it's clear that the data content is incorrect / mismatched, as picking a full gooseberry bush turn it into a goose pond (in appearance).

I deleted the client and downloaded it fresh, connecting to the official servers for the update and then connecting to a (new, fresh) local server, but I get the same problem.

???

#46 2018-04-12 19:48:53

Bimble

Did you try making a test map with the editor, per the instructions?  I have no idea if that makes a difference, but if you haven't, it could be worth trying.

#47 2018-04-12 20:10:00

sliderule

Bimble wrote:

Did you try making a test map with the editor, per the instructions?  I have no idea if that makes a difference, but if you haven't, it could be worth trying.

Strangely, this worked.

Specifically, connecting to the test map, logging out, stopping the server, deleting the database, and logging back in.

Never had to do this before, though.

Oh well I guess it helps to read the instructions regardless of how used to building software you are smile

Thanks!

Last edited by sliderule (2018-04-12 20:10:54)

#48 2018-04-12 20:53:21

emucat

sliderule wrote:
Bimble wrote:

Strangely, this worked.

Specifically, connecting to the test map, logging out, stopping the server, deleting the database, and logging back in.

Oh well I guess it helps to read the instructions regardless of how used to building software you are smile

Thanks!

I think the DB needed to be converted. At least that was a big difference from last time

#49 2018-04-13 21:10:36

sliderule

emucat wrote:
sliderule wrote:
Bimble wrote:

Strangely, this worked.

Thanks!

I think the DB needed to be converted. At least that was a big difference from last time

Always included rm *.db in my commands and TWICE pulled the source code to a fresh directory with a fresh pull script, so that kinda rules that out.

#50 2018-05-04 12:00:34

Babsy

My client and Ubuntu server run the same version. How do I convert existing databases to a new update, so that items don't show as something else (like a berrybush that is picked, changes to a pie etc.)?

Board footer