One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-21 01:26:14

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Coming soon: pine wall viability (and indoor bonus scaling)

This has been on the back burner for 20 months.

Pine walls now cost only one shaft and no rope (was 4 shafts and 5 rope).

You can also make pine needle floors.

These are much less insulating than other wall types, and they can be chopped down easily with an axe.

However, the +20 indoor bonus was likely to swamp the reduced insulation.

In fact, the +20 indoor bonus was likely to swamp a lot of things.  Doors are R=0.75, where adobe walls are R=0.90, but the indoor bonus is so great that it wouldn't be too bad to build a room with lots of doors.

So, the indoor bonus now scales with the average R-value of the surrounding walls and floors.  More insulating walls and floors bigger bonus.

This also increases the usefulness of bear skin rugs, to boost the indoor bonus.

In testing a 1x1 room (1x1 floor surrounded by 3x3 walls and one door), I'm seeing these indoor bonuses:

Pine Walls, Pine Floor, Pine Door:  9.1 seconds
Pine Walls, Wood Floor, Pine Door:  11.7 seconds
Pine Walls, bear rug floor, Pine Door:  13.3 seconds
Pine Walls, bear rug floor, wood door:  13.7 seconds

Adobe Walls, Pine Floor, Pine Door:  13.6 seconds
Adobe Walls, Wood Floor, Pine Door:  16.2 seconds
Adobe Walls, bear rug floor, Pine Door:  17.8 seconds
Adobe Walls, bear rug floor, wood door:  18.2 seconds

So going from the weakest room to the strongest doubles your indoor bonus.  What's more, every little upgrade along the way helps.  If you can replace one wall with adobe, that will help a bit.

#2 2019-11-21 01:32:04

fug

Re: Coming soon: pine wall viability (and indoor bonus scaling)

You'll need a bear rug on every single floor tile for that bear rug to do anything from last time I ever did building testing and that's not to mention the eyesore that is a full room filled with bear rugs.  To have a true idea of pip drain rate you would want Wall type, Wood floor/Pine floor, then Pine/Wood door test as bear rug floors aren't really viable when you need 30 or so to fill a room.

Thank you for making pine buildings actually viable as its been much too long that pine has basically been unrealistic to build with in game.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2019-11-21 01:35:56

Coconut Fruit

Cool, with automatic spring doors it will be very useful, if you decide to automate them.

I hate spring doors in rooms like kitchen since I used to go in and out frequently. I used to remove springs very often and just let the doors be open.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#4 2019-11-21 01:37:07

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Fug, are you aware of the indoor bonus that was added a few weeks ago?

As long as you are indoors, you get +20 seconds per food bar.

Now you get +X seconds per food bar, where X is determined by the average insulating value of the room that you are in.

Using the Pine room as an example, adding a bear rug to a wood floor adds about 2.5 seconds per food bar, or 50 seconds between feedings as an adult.

Of course, that's in a small room with only one floor.  The bigger the room, the more the other non-rug floors will "wash out" the average.

#5 2019-11-21 01:45:33

fug

jasonrohrer wrote:

Fug, are you aware of the indoor bonus that was added a few weeks ago?

As long as you are indoors, you get +20 seconds per food bar.

Now you get +X seconds per food bar, where X is determined by the average insulating value of the room that you are in.

Using the Pine room as an example, adding a bear rug to a wood floor adds about 2.5 seconds per food bar, or 50 seconds between feedings as an adult.

Of course, that's in a small room with only one floor.  The bigger the room, the more the other non-rug floors will "wash out" the average.

Yeah I knew you had changed the inside mechanic not too long ago which is why I brought up that since the last time I tested anything related to buildings for any change what so ever inside you needed either 100% floors rugged or it was treated as 0 rugs being floored.

You suffered the same fate if you had a lower tier floor inside as well which meant if you had all wood and one pine floor then the whole room was treated as being pine instead of mostly wood. I'll take a double check on it when the change goes live to make sure it's not the case still.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#6 2019-11-21 02:32:32

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, old code might have been finding the weakest link or something.

Latest code definitely takes the average of all walls and floors.

Floors are weighted 4x in that average, by the way.  So high quality floors are more important than high quality walls.  In small rooms, there are way more walls than floors, so this balances out.  In medium rooms, there are about the same number of floors as walls.  In large rooms, it's flipped to more floors than walls.

#7 2019-11-21 21:44:49

Saolin

Hmm I didn't even know that an insulation bonus had been added for bear rugs, nice!

#8 2019-11-21 21:53:12

Greenwood

Wow, this sounds like a cool update, thanks ^^. These new building types will allow for the construction of early-game buildings. By the way, have you considered implementing a high-tech building material at any point? The idea is that industrialised cities are still using stone, which is expensive and quickly runs out in your immediate area, limiting each city to one or two buildings. However, what if there was something with a lower insulation factor (so it would still be worth having those railway stone-collection lines) but that was cheaper and more sustainable. Something like bricks that can be made out of fertile soil using industrial tools, perhaps? This would allow the largest cities to develop more houses. While this isn't strictly necessary for a town to flourish, it would certainly make each town more interesting if buildings existed such as tool outhouses, small family properties and big estates rather than one or two stone communal buildings. I'm thinking along the lines of Victorian London XD.

#9 2019-11-21 23:22:46

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, some more high tech buildings are planned.  Maybe concrete.

#10 2019-11-22 15:57:13

Greenwood

Ooh, that sounds cool. Maybe wood buildings as well? They're simple to make and good for quick, cheap buildings mid-game. However, they're also rather water and soil-intensive to make sustainably. Perhaps two sets of boards per wall to give people enough incentive to make stone walls when they become advanced enough? In the early stages when you're chopping natural trees left, right and centre though, wood walls would be rather handy. It would also give the architecture of each town a little more variety.

#11 2019-11-22 20:58:18

StrongForce

Can those insulations undo bad biom?
Like the snow floors do?

Baby dance!!

Board footer