One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-10 04:52:55

Naeght

"Q" or im a forum user baby.

Wilderness survival an issue again, i propose a simple system to easily identify experienced players (or at least forum-users) using unusual characters (until Jason removes em).

Commas and dots are never used. Especially by spelling babies.
Some might argue this will make new players target of child murder, but when you actually have the support of a hardworking daughter you can spend some time teaching the stupid babies. Otherwise all the experience new players will get is being handed down the burden of a failling camp or walking like an idiot into the wild and starve.

List:

Q: i can sustain myself. (Changed due to popular demand since it appears this was proposed already)

Others will be included. Get creative. What info would have you spending time raising a baby when you otherwise wouldnt?

Last edited by Naeght (2018-04-10 15:38:50)

#2 2018-04-10 04:59:39

Portager

Re: "Q" or im a forum user baby.

Your mother would first have to initiate the conversation with a code word, "EXP" or something like that.

Then you can reply back with a code indicating that you can help her build the camp.

#3 2018-04-10 05:20:37

Aurora Aurora

Good idea but I think I should be simplified, like instead of dots it’s should be one letter. Like if you know how to build very well you use a B, same with cooking/baking for C and so on.

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#4 2018-04-10 06:55:01

Go! Bwah!

I use dot.  If an Eve is carrying me, she has another baby, hesitates, then leaves it to die: "."  Short for "...".  "Such is life, this doesn't make you a bad mom."

I don't know if any of my moms has ever gotten it, but maybe.

Last edited by Go! Bwah! (2018-04-10 06:55:34)

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#5 2018-04-10 09:18:22

TrustyWay

There already lettre codes, check the forum

#6 2018-04-10 12:07:33

Aurora Aurora

TrustyWay wrote:

Q and X don't count

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#7 2018-04-10 12:52:59

Alleria

I'm going to abort you well before you're capable of typing three characters. What's wrong with Q? Just about everyone who uses the forum knows how to do everything. This just over complicates for little to no gain. I've only had a handful of mothers recognise Q anyway, why would I have better luck with a three character code...

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#8 2018-04-10 14:08:11

TrustyWay

Aurora Aurora wrote:
TrustyWay wrote:

Q and X don't count

Lol why ? More people are aware of this code than any others ones. Q or X work but rarely. Why should we change to something nobody knows.

#9 2018-04-10 15:40:12

Naeght

Changed to Q since it appears some of u already used that. Changed the thread tittle to be more explicit since many of us didnt know this code beforehand.

#10 2018-04-10 17:55:36

Ka

Alleria wrote:

What's wrong with Q? Just about everyone who uses the forum knows how to do everything. This just over complicates for little to no gain.

I agree with not overcomplicating things, unless we're talking about changing the letter every week so that random people don't pick up on it, and to ensure some kind of commitment.

Alleria wrote:

Just about everyone who uses the forum knows how to do everything.

Beware of overestimating others. I may play for another 50 hours and never get close to a forge, and I'm guessing that many other people may have some sort of specialized playstyle.
I think that the code letter should just mean that you're up to date with general rules and latest updates. Then, when you're actually old enough to do something useful, you can communicate your specialty or just help with basic tasks.

#11 2018-04-10 22:43:08

earlgraytea

Portager wrote:

Your mother would first have to initiate the conversation with a code word, "EXP" or something like that.

Then you can reply back with a code indicating that you can help her build the camp.

I think some people may have misread this and took it to mean that the baby is supposed to say three letters, not the mother. xD

So it would look like:
[baby is born]
Mother: EXP?
Baby: Q (or X or whatever)

I like this a lot, partly because an added advantage might be that experienced players who don't use forums may still figure out what the question is trying to ask and be able to type 'Y'. Because while I agree that most players who use forums probably know the game well, I'm sure there are also players who know the game well but don't use forums.

For example, I've been pretty familiar with the entire tech tree since well before I joined the forums or Discord (and even now I'm not very active on either)--I learned most stuff in-game, looked stuff up on the Wiki if I was completely stumped, and kept up with content updates by looking at the update logs on the main page. I'm sure there are many others like me, and even players who don't go on the forums at all but manage learn everything either in-game or on the Wiki.

So I think we should focus more on coming up with good Y/N prompt questions rather than secret letters, for the same reasons that it would be useful to have a signal letter like Q in the first place. (And if it's really important there could still be a secret letter response to these same questions which would just give you the extra information that the player also uses forums).

I see a lot of people ask "Are you new?" but I find that a little too vague (since someone who's been in the game for a while might not know certain things). And of course there's always "Do you know ___?" but it can get old to ask many times. So something like "EXP?" or "Are you experienced?" or "Do you know all tech?" could be a good alternative.

#12 2018-04-10 22:44:30

Angel Carrillo

Q, D
I'm a forums and discord person.

#13 2018-04-10 22:48:34

Valiry

earlgraytea wrote:
Portager wrote:

I think some people may have misread this and took it to mean that the baby is supposed to say three letters, not the mother. xD

So it would look like:
[baby is born]

I like this a lot, partly because an added advantage might be that experienced players who don't use forums may still figure out what the question is trying to ask and be able to type 'Y'. Because while I agree that most players who use forums probably know the game well, I'm sure there are also players who know the game well but don't use forums.

For example, I've been pretty familiar with the entire tech tree since well before I joined the forums or Discord (and even now I'm not very active on either)--I learned most stuff in-game, looked stuff up on the Wiki if I was completely stumped, and kept up with content updates by looking at the update logs on the main page. I'm sure there are many others like me, and even players who don't go on the forums at all but manage learn everything either in-game or on the Wiki.

So I think we should focus more on coming up with good Y/N prompt questions rather than secret letters, for the same reasons that it would be useful to have a signal letter like Q in the first place. (And if it's really important there could still be a secret letter response to these same questions which would just give you the extra information that the player also uses forums).

I see a lot of people ask "Are you new?" but I find that a little too vague (since someone who's been in the game for a while might not know certain things). And of course there's always "Do you know ___?" but it can get old to ask many times. So something like "EXP?" or "Are you experienced?" or "Do you know all tech?" could be a good alternative.

I think "Q" is really good, when you are first baby of an Eve. When shes on forum too she knows, that you can help quickly with building farm and you show her very quick that you can be a help. The next babies can be new, Eve has already one who can help, and she has more time to teach the new baby, cause the Q-baby can build farm in this time

#14 2018-04-11 05:02:24

Ka

earlgraytea wrote:

So it would look like:
[baby is born]

I like this a lot, partly because an added advantage might be that experienced players who don't use forums may still figure out what the question is trying to ask and be able to type 'Y'.

I like that too.

Board footer