You are not logged in.

#151 2019-11-15 19:06:23

Three

Re: Coming Soon: Family Specialization

this is an idiotic idea, stealing is always easier than trading

#152 2019-11-15 19:16:55

13jonathandavid

I've posted an official suggestion now, if you like the idea please upvote on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … gic_races/

#153 2019-11-16 02:58:43

The_Anabaptist

jcwilk wrote:

... It would be weird to not be elitist about greatness though, top tier is kinda the whole point of greatness ya know? It takes the exceptional to know the exceptional.

Insert witty comment about TRUMP here.

Have fun folks, this should be cannon fodder enough to make this the longest thread ever.

The_Anabaptist

#154 2019-11-16 03:08:39

DestinyCall

Sorry, Anabaptist.   The rollercoaster of recent updates has left my outrage reserves almost entirely depleted.    Even the name of our great leader leaves me emotionally numb and unable to form a suitable diatribe.

#155 2019-11-16 04:22:40

Toxolotl

A cool alternative to family specialization being skin tones would be to have tattoos, face paint, or a birthmark. That would remove the racist element. Might not be as easy to distinguish though.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-11-16 07:06:06)

#156 2019-11-16 04:40:28

Stormyzabeast

I like perk zone idea as opposed to the rest. It's going to completely change the game and be severely limiting

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#157 2019-11-16 17:47:55

Gogo
Banned

jasonrohrer wrote:

To encourage inter-family interaction, cooperation, and trade

We will never ever trade in this game, cause living together as races is way easier. People already abandoned some town (the browns) and move to another.

Last edited by Gogo (2019-11-16 17:49:42)

#158 2019-11-16 19:06:03

Spoonwood

No response, so I'll ask this again:

Spoonwood wrote:

... how will this affect players Eve-chaining on low population servers?

Were people who Eve-chain on low population servers even considered in this change?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#159 2019-11-16 19:20:14

Grim_Arbiter

Spoonwood wrote:

No response, so I'll ask this again:

Spoonwood wrote:

... how will this affect players Eve-chaining on low population servers?

Were people who Eve-chain on low population servers even considered in this change?

I think I saw that it wont effect servers with under 15 population.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#160 2019-11-16 20:21:30

DestinyCall

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

I think I saw that it wont effect servers with under 15 population.

Now I'm curious what would happen if enough players joined a low pop server to tip it over the limit.   Do brown people suddenly get kicked out of the tundra when the sixteenth baby is born?   Wouldn't it be funny if you were in the middle of crossing a desert or jungle on horseback when it happened?

How does that work?

#161 2019-11-17 01:51:48

Spoonwood

I didn't see anything about a 15 population limit for these changes in dev-changes.  I didn't look at the code though.

Danish Clinch.

#162 2019-11-17 02:59:04

Echwel

I was in a village of jungle people with no more oil and we had some ice people around. Unfortunately none of them understood how to get oil, or even that we wanted them to read our note asking them to get oil.
I do not blame them. I have never found the process of oil drilling very interesting gameplay.

The problem with this update is that people who A: know how to get oil B: want to get oil and C: want to bring it to your town consistantly are not very common. And then there's the domino effect if they die out.

I know there are a lot of players who who want this game to be more challenging (probably while using an OP mod), but I feel the game is getting pretty boring if I am limited to a few tasks. And that only gets worse if my town is dying out and I can't do anything about it.

Last edited by Echwel (2019-11-17 02:59:34)

#163 2019-11-17 03:06:18

Keyin

Echwel wrote:

I was in a village of jungle people with no more oil and we had some ice people around. Unfortunately none of them understood how to get oil, or even that we wanted them to read our note asking them to get oil.
I do not blame them. I have never found the process of oil drilling very interesting gameplay.

The problem with this update is that people who A: know how to get oil B: want to get oil and C: want to bring it to your town consistantly are not very common. And then there's the domino effect if they die out.

I know there are a lot of players who who want this game to be more challenging (probably while using an OP mod), but I feel the game is getting pretty boring if I am limited to a few tasks. And that only gets worse if my town is dying out and I can't do anything about it.

Yeah I was a ginger in that town twice. As a ginger woman when the note was first written and as an old ginger man the second time.

I spent about a decade looking for oil- there wasn't any close by. Finally found a tarry spot after looking for about a decade. Didn't feel like running all the way back and forth building oil rig from scratch though.

Second time I had just found the village again as a fifty-something year old ginger. Even if I felt like doing it at that point I was too old to do it in time.

#164 2019-11-17 03:27:57

DestinyCall

I think that we need to start thinking "migration" or "water-carting" instead of "drill for oil".

Unless your town is lucky enough to have three tribes AND a vetran player of the correct race, don't even bother trying for oil.    It isn't going to happen.    Instead work on getting carts (or horse carts, if you have access to horses) and start moving water buckets and water tanks.   Build roads to distant swamps or springs and haul water back to town.    If there is NO water within easy hauling distance and you are missing a skintone, it is time to abandon this location and head toward the west.

#165 2019-11-17 05:41:44

jcwilk

Just played in a mixed village as a coffeeperson male. An elder instructed me to get oil, and most importantly to pass the message on that oil is needed and where the map is. I started trying to recruit for the task but all my breathren were already occupied with their occupations and there was only one birthing woman in our family left so I prioritized keeping her alive and warm and instructing her kids on what the task ahead is. At one point one of the other families came at one of our sole female children and mamma went after them and took them down, the risk of co-habitation. Luckily the kid was already instructed to put their own survival above all else so she booked it tf out of there in time even though they were a new player.

A couple generations went by as I helped out the new player baby and their descendants, reinforcing the mission of finding oil. I ended up dying without any progress being made but I did enjoy guiding the family towards a purpose. The town was in kind of a weird state, still riding on pre-update tech presumably but the resources thinning out and food starting to become less and less plentiful. I suspect that eventually the town would begin to starve having at least 3 different families in it and they would either scatter to find more resources or kill each other. Kind of wish I was there for that haha, but it's interesting seeing things slowly careening downwards

#166 2019-11-17 07:07:55

Spoonwood

What is a 'coffeeperson male'?

Danish Clinch.

#167 2019-11-17 07:25:08

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

jcwilk wrote:

I ended up dying without any progress being made but I did enjoy guiding the family towards a purpose. The town was in kind of a weird state, still riding on pre-update tech presumably but the resources thinning out and food starting to become less and less plentiful. I suspect that eventually the town would begin to starve having at least 3 different families in it and they would either scatter to find more resources or kill each other. Kind of wish I was there for that haha, but it's interesting seeing things slowly careening downwards

So you stood around and did nothing your life and just told other people to work? The problem isn't the multi-families it's people not working and just standing around. Giving new players purpose and telling kids what needs to be done is fine, but JUST doing that makes you a drain. Most smart people can tell what a town needs right away by just looking around. Stop focusing so much on other people and focus on yourself and your own tasks. Sitting around for 3 generations SAYING how much you need oil accomplishes nothing and will probably lead to the death of your town. If you're smart you have to try extra hard because 90% of the player base isn't. You have to carry towns if you actually care about them. You can't rely on others as much as Jason wants us to, most of them have no idea what they're doing.

Also you can say Black, Brown, White, and Ginger. Coffee person??????

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#168 2019-11-17 08:49:25

jcwilk

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Also you can say Black, Brown, White, and Ginger. Coffee person??????

Someone suggested they be chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and ginger... I'm trying to help it along.

And sometimes I want to go ham when I game and sometimes I want to chill and hang with babies and observe the progress and directions of the arc. Sorry not sorry bud, it's a game not a job

#169 2019-11-17 09:34:05

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

What is a 'coffeeperson male'?

Our flavors of humanity -  Chocolate, coffee, ginger, and vanilla.

#170 2019-11-17 16:11:03

Stormyzabeast

Yeahhhhh.... Has he reset the map yet? It's going to continue being a cluster f until then. I've played a few loves just to give it a chance and I'm not impressed. The map should have been wiped first ffs. Also, I can't believe I'm saying this... But for THIS stupid update, the rift should come back *dies inside*

Pleaseeeeee Jason. Get rid of this update and work on more content!

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#171 2019-11-18 02:58:11

Stoop Kid

I've kept my mouth shut through the shitshow that was the rift and again for the pain in the ass skills update, but man what in the fuck is this shit? Why does Jason like making this game more and more of a chore to play with each update? I just don't get it.

#172 2019-11-18 05:09:04

Stormyzabeast

Stoop Kid wrote:

I've kept my mouth shut through the shitshow that was the rift and again for the pain in the ass skills update, but man what in the fuck is this shit? Why does Jason like making this game more and more of a chore to play with each update? I just don't get it.

+5000

#173 2019-11-18 13:29:23

lilo

I think it would work better if the things for trading were stuff like diferent food, clothes, etc. instead of essentials like oil or rubber.
But while people still lives in towns in the same green/prairie neutral biomes trading wont happen, its necessary that people lives inside their biomes for the trading thing to work, if someone no specialized can just walk on the city and pick the stuff from the floor why would they bother to trade anything for it? I think the current situation encourages comunal living and a division of choirs inside the city, not the creation of diferent cities that would trade.

#174 2019-11-18 15:12:26

Ilka

Stoop Kid wrote:

I know why Jason does it. Few people have noticed this statement by Jason.

jasonrohrer wrote:

My local designer friend Casey wrote this essay on modernity:

There's a problem with modernity. Nothing has ever been so comfortable, easy, convenient, or meaningless. Some people say it's a spiritual crises. But I don't think so. Formulating the problem like that has an answer baked right into it. Spirituality/religion was lost, therefore... But that is an old answer, a bad answer, and an irrelevant answer. The problem with modernity is a new problem, and it won't have an old answer. It's not that people have changed, they're the same as always. It's that the circumstances have changed.

It would be nice if the circumstances hadn't changed. If life was still infused with meaning and beauty. When you were born, the meaning of your life was invisible and surrounding you, like a fish in the ocean. Everything fit together. You can talk all day about how hard life was then, and how easy it is now. I believe it. But making life easy does not make it meaningful. And I believe if any person could honestly see the two options in a clear way, they would choose the difficult and meaningful life over the easy and meaningless one. Every single time.

So why not just go live in a cabin in the woods? It's a nice fantasy and one that a lot of modern people have. At least some variation of it. But hardly anyone actually does this. Are people just stupid cows that can't see what's best for them? I don't think so. I think going to live in a cabin is just play-acting at a meaningful life. We have some vague picture of what a meaningful life might look like, and we would be enacting that. Just like a little kid has some idea of what a house looks like, mommy and baby, cooking dinner, etc... We see ourselves enjoying the simple things in life, nature, the slow pace, the peace. But people aren't stupid. We know when it's real, and when it's a game.

Before we can even talk about a solution to modernity, we need to make it clear what the problem actually is. Human beings were built for a specific set of circumstances. The modern view of the human is as something incredibly adaptive. That's wrong. There's a narrow band of existence that humans thrive in. A meaningful life can only ever be found within this band. So the first problem with modernity, is that it doesn't even provide a solid concept of what this life is like.

How did we lose this concept, and deviate so far from a workable path? Modernity is the result of a series of small compromises and changes over a few thousand years. Any one of these compromises looked at individually makes sense. A tractor is a lot better than a plow. But when you add them all up, you get something ugly. A painting with lots of detail but no sense of composition or beauty. A story with a lot of events, but no narrative.

And humans are narrative beings. It's how we think, and it's what moves us into action. Narrative is the connective tissue of life. It gives purpose to actions beyond their immediate usefulness, and brings them together into something coherent. Story is the organizing principle of experience.

A compelling narrative has a well known structure to it. The world begins in a state of disharmony. It calls out a challenge to its protagonist: come change the world, make things right again. The journey is challenging. To rectify the disharmony requires some type of transformation to occur. And the transformation requires a sacrifice. Finally, the result of the transformation connects back into the world and changes it for the better. The story is complete and we can say that something meaningful has occurred.

A meaningful life is a life with a compelling narrative. When the world needs you. When you have to change and grow and sacrifice to answer that need. And when the results of your efforts have a renewing effect on the world. Those are the ingredients for a compelling narrative, and a meaningful life. Life without a story is nothing. It's the classic nihilistic complaint, we are just cosmic dust in an infinite universe. And if your life lacks a story, you might as well be a chunk of rock, or a speck of cosmic dust.

Everything you know about a compelling narrative is something you know about a meaningful life. It doesn't start on a whim, it starts with the world calling out a challenge to you. That's why the cabin fantasy is nonsense. It captures the superficial appearance of meaning without providing anything real. A real narrative has a goal, something worth fighting for. How many times have you heard about people working for a better life for their children? And a narrative has challenges. Consider the disgust we feel towards those who have everything given to them. If there is no challenge, there is no narrative. And if there is no narrative, there is no meaning.

The problem with modernity, then, is that it does not provide the setting for a compelling narrative. The world doesn't seem to need us anymore. And if we take on some challenge anyway, it seems there are many easy roads on one hand, and many foolish roads on the other. And even if we find a road that demands something from us, the results of our efforts don't seem to affect anything. The world is in a solved state. It may not be impossible to live a meaningful life but it's damn sure not easy.

The reason that modernity provides no story to so many is simple. Every narrative has an end, and the narrative of the modern world is ending. The big questions that we have been asking over the last few thousand years have been answered; we know where we came from. The challenges we have been struggling against have been solved; survival is basically a given. Any remaining questions, and any remaining challenges, are small detail work left to a small contingent. We have constructed an unbelievably efficient machine that is modernity. All that's left to do now is keep the wheels turning and try not to screw it up. There is no meaning in that, because there's no story to it.

We can see the modern world tearing itself apart because of it. It's preferable to destroy everything than it is to live without meaning. To merely keep the machine of modernity running is utterly pointless. It's not an idea that can sustain the collective effort of the Western world. Every fracture we see in the culture, is some new group of people being left empty. The number of actors in the story of modernity is shrinking. When you're left without a productive narrative, the only possible narrative is the destruction of the world that left you behind. Only in it's destruction can a new story rise.

Picture a forest. All the physical resources are basically allocated, locked up in the trees. It takes a fire to destroy it all, free the resources and give everything a chance to grow again. The seeds dropped in a mature forest are essentially doomed.

It's not a coincidence that the narrative of the modern world is ending now. It's happening because modernity has put everything on fast-forward. Cities, mass media, multiculturalism, and other trappings of modernity, have given people tools to very rapidly parse any narrative to it's logical endpoint. Post modernism is the culmination of this. Not just parsing any particular narrative, but parsing the very idea of a narrative to it's endpoint.

This is getting high minded. But it's easy to see in simple terms. Can you honestly picture yourself being proud of your country? To the point where you would enlist and risk your life for it? No. The idea seems insane. Yet, there are people still living that did that exact thing. The only conclusion we can draw, and still maintain our perspective on life, is that they were stupid rubes. They were hoodwinked into something terrible.

And that's the exact perspective modern people must maintain on all of history. That it was horrible, dirty, miserable, that life was nothing but suffering. That modernity swooped in and saved us from all that. The hubris to think that things were terrible for the last two hundred thousand years, then suddenly got good in the last fifty. That hubris must be unique to modernity. It's sad more than anything.

If you want to understand the difference between modernity and antiquity, consider a scenario. Your life consists of sleeping on a small hard cot for only 5 hours a night. You eat thick grey flavorless gruel. Your day is spent turning a large wheel around in circles. It's heavy and difficult.

In antiquity, your effort turning the wheel is moving you closer to something beautiful and transcendent, you are pulling yourself to heaven. It doesn't matter that the work is tedious and difficult. It has a purpose.

In modernity, your effort moves you forward, but not towards anything in particular. Just in a larger circle. Maybe you turn the wheel less, or not at all. What's the difference? You can eat your thick grey gruel all day if you want. You can wither away sleeping.

Life is only a heavy wheel and gruel when you get down to it. There is no escape from that, no alternative. The sole redeeming factor to the whole operation is why you wake up and turn the wheel. If you have a good reason, then being alive is better than not being alive. If you don't, it doesn't really matter either way.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6106

I remember her to this day because the views that Jason considers wise irritated me terribly.

Such things can only be written by a teenager who has not survived anything yet and thinks he needs strong impressions.

I barely refrained from writing what I think about the author of these wisdoms, and about the American elites (zombies, zombies) and US foreign policy.

In short Jason thinks the challenges are interesting and people love the challenges.

People really love a light, easy and pleasant life.

If there are to be any challenges in the game, the reward must be adequate to the difficulties.

Such a reward is not simply survival.

Jason makes it harder to play without giving anything back.

Well, this is not a very thoughtful tactic.

#175 2019-11-18 18:06:02

Stormyzabeast

I agree completely.

Board footer