One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-16 05:42:57

Wuatduhf

Family Specialization and framing

I've written too many of these at this point that I'm going to keep this suggestion to Jason short.

This post is also referencing the concept of "positive vs. negative framing" of a new content feature, which is easily anecdote'd by Blizzard's "Rested" system in World of Warcraft.
Article: https://www.psychologyofgames.com/2010/ … st-system/

What Jason is attempting to do:
- Add a system that encourages/necessitates multi-family interaction

Why is this good:
- Every village eventually gets a "Diesel Daddy" and acquires Diesel Well
- There is still no trade (don't discuss this here)

Why Jason's implementation isn't "correct":
- The implementation is ONLY taking content away by restricting it to those skin tones
- This inherently puts one race on suicide watch by giving no bonus to offset lack of specialization (Pale tone)
- Families of the same skin tone do not benefit from this system

How Jason can course-correct this 'negative' system:
- Add additional specialized-only content (better iron, better hunting, better clothes, etc) that isn't already available
- Give additional tool slot(s) to the Pale skin tone until they have a specialization

Obviously, adding additional content takes time, and clearly Jason is adding this feature now. I can only strongly urge that the tool slots be added to the Pale race before this feature is live, and that we see a mechanically-interesting content update soon(tm) to make the specialization appreciated.

tl;dr Never frame a new feature as a "nerf" and always frame it as a "buff from the normal"

Board footer