One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-15 11:52:49

miskas

Are abbandon wealthy big cities a common thing? why do we lose cities?

I came across a Very big wealthy city today.
A lot of food, oil, cloths, staff, anything you wanted it had it.
Anything Except for People. Why Wealthy cities get abandoned?
The server pop the time I witness that was 30, the number of families 5

Why do we lose wealthy cities?  Probably it is not From starvation, then what is it?

Is there an Area ban also except the lineage ban?

-----Jason do we have any stats over the number of families throughout the day? -----

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-15 11:57:31)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#2 2019-11-15 12:16:19

schmloo

Re: Are abbandon wealthy big cities a common thing? why do we lose cities?

Quite a few people want to be an Eve, even if they aren’t born as one. So they tun off and pseudo-eve, spreading out the server population, making it less likely to keep a living girl per-town who also gives birth to more girls (who also may or may not run off). That’s my take anyway.

Last edited by schmloo (2019-11-15 12:16:54)

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#3 2019-11-15 12:22:47

Kaveh

Girl kids and kids for smaller families are forced now right? So they can't just have died out because of a lack of kids?
I guess murdering all girls might be too easy w/ families still being quite small, otherwise ye people might just leave.

What I assume is that since people have been stuck in the rift for so long, there is a hunger for exploration and pseudo-eve towns now the possibility is there again. It might get less frequent in a while. Problem rn is that families are (still) so small that if one girl leaves, she might take the entire family's new population with her, practically dooming the bigger city cuz it doesn't get many new kids/girls.

#4 2019-11-15 12:26:34

miskas

even still, the big pop and easy life of the big town has to get more bbs than the small pop and hard conditioned camp.

on birth distribution, Is there an Area ban also except the lineage ban?

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-15 12:27:52)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#5 2019-11-15 16:07:44

JonySky
Website

Big cities are boring, that's why players run away from these cities. this translates into child suicides, absurd murders and scouting players who leave the city as soon as they can get on a horse

Last edited by JonySky (2019-11-15 16:10:14)

#6 2019-11-15 18:20:45

Keyin

It's actually pretty easy to out compete your relatives for babies as a pseudo Eve.

Simply leave town as 3 yr old girl, make wolf hat, seal fur coat, + backpack and fur shoes/loincloth. Now you're warmer than your female relatives.

Yum with wild foods and tada! Now you are favored over your female relatives for babies! smile

#7 2019-11-15 21:15:32

Toxolotl

Running away from a big town and usurping its spawns is selfish. Most of these towns took an incredible amount of hard work and cooperation to get to where they are now. Throwing that all away because you think its boring is no excuse. Its just as easy to build an eve settlement close enough to the city that you get the experience you want and you can let your kids know where the original city is if they want the city life.

So why do people go so far away from towns? I presume they either dont know any better or its due to some personal glory. "I founded this town" kinda thing. In reality you are spitting in the face of your eve and the countless people who came after her who built the original town into what it is.

A healthier way to do this would be to found a town 100-300 tiles away on a fresh well site. Its close enough that your kids could travel back and forth without the risk of wandering their whole life. Like i mentioned though i suspect most people want to build "their" town from scratch.

I also think its funny when the pseudos take a horse cart, shovel, and axe with them. That initial rush to craft the base materials for smithing and rush those tools is the fun part of the eve experience imo.

So to all current and future pseudos out there. Dont expect future generations to stick around. If people are aware that the camp is a pseudo they will likely spend most of their life trying to find their way back to the original settlement. Most of the time finding it or the remnants of another one and moving the family there. Abandoning your settlement for a better future for them and their children.

Often i end up in pseudos in terrible spots as well. Places where there are no tarry spots or iron veins for hundreds of tiles.

Long story short, there are healthy ways to pseudo and toxic ways to pseudo. I notice more of the latter on average. Instead of abandoning the city countless people worked hard on why not expand the empire with your new settlement. Make sure its reasonable to eventually connect the towns and that future generations know which direction to travel.

Im a broken record at this point but ive made so many bells and started so many tower bases only to have them lost due to this sort of thing.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-11-15 21:24:25)

#8 2019-11-15 21:22:57

Kinrany

Hahaha. Jason doesn't want to make the game Candy Crush-fun by just adding more content. But players do want that kind of fun, and players are capable of choosing the parts of the game that provide more fun of this kind.

In effect this makes the constraints of the game meaningless: the game is being used as an engine for another, self-imposed game.
Which is fine in a single-player game, but in a multiplayer that's like playing Left 4 Dead with someone who's doing a pacifist run.

I like to think that the only solution here is to use Candy Crush-fun as a reward for playing by the rules.

#9 2019-11-15 22:25:49

Keyin

Toxolotl wrote:

Throwing that all away because you think its boring is no excuse.

Isn't the point of a game to relieve yourself of boredom?  If I think it is more fun to wander the wilderness than stay in town, isn't that my right? If I want to be in an untouched area, shouldn't I be allowed to travel there? I do not force others to come with me. I do not force my children to stay.  You also claim most will not want to come and you are right; most kids /die. If the women in town are yumming and staying warm they have nothing to fear from a pseudo-Eve whom has an inferior inventory of yumming options.

#10 2019-11-15 22:31:16

Toxolotl

Honestly i agree. My main point is that there are healthier options so players have the best of both worlds and the original towns are not lost.

Board footer