One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-11-13 20:16:32

Toxolotl

Re: What happened to danger in this game?

Yea i think the distance measurements need adjustments. It makes no sense for it to take 10 years to run a kilometer or two. It would make more sense if it was multiplied by 1000. I would have traveled 1500 km instead of a little over one.

Sorry i quoted the wrong peep, I switched it around so its proper now.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-11-13 20:17:19)

#27 2019-11-13 20:47:45

Saolin

Then we would be like a kilometer tall though.

#28 2019-11-13 23:57:16

Keyin

Toxolotl wrote:

Yea i think the distance measurements need adjustments. It makes no sense for it to take 10 years to run a kilometer or two. It would make more sense if it was multiplied by 1000. I would have traveled 1500 km instead of a little over one.

Sorry i quoted the wrong peep, I switched it around so its proper now.

The better thing would be if travel was proportional as a fraction of time spent. Obviously, with time moving 525,600X faster than reality our perception/computing power would not be able to keep up so affordances must be made.

FluxBB bbcode test

Cutting out sleep, we have a total of 16.4 hours
As you can see, work and travel is 8.8/16.4. Since shifts are typically 8 hours, that leaves 0.8=48mins/day for travel.  Ideally only 0.8/16.4 (round up to 5%) would be needed to be spent traveling in order to have a functioning economy.

However, with how slow moving all forms of transport are (it is about the same as real life, not buffed like eating or ignored like sleep/excretion)  much more than 5% of our time is required in traveling to meet the demands of an economy and to occupy any significant amount of territory. I'd say moving about a town to get to needed tools/communicate/eat in itself is more than 5% of our time. Therefore, movement should be buffed to the point where changing what tile you're on is close to 5% of a life, and only about 50% if you choose to make your living as a merchant/trader.

Last edited by Keyin (2019-11-14 15:41:52)

#29 2019-11-14 02:21:54

Gogo
Banned

Joseph Stalin wrote:

I do like colonies, but now that babies spread per family will only hurt them.

Hmm, true.

PeebleCreek wrote:

I think if we just get some bell towers built it'll fix that, though.

Right! Forgot about that.

I never played without rift before. Now it's better because things we build will last longer, I'm just complaining about danger issue.

Last edited by Gogo (2019-11-14 02:22:18)

#30 2019-12-14 02:34:52

Spoonwood

I have to wonder if living in grasslands, instead of jungles, deserts, and swamps has also reduced the sense of danger in this game.  I don't know if it would feel as dangerous as The Rift did, but you might try hunting bears without using the "stand on item" technique and without using a mod with a zoom feature.  Or playing without a zoom feature and hunting boars in a swamp.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#31 2019-12-14 03:02:10

jcwilk

Spoon, stop necroing old random threads. Just make a new thread and link to it or else everyone sees a thread they're not familiar with, starts reading through it, realizes it's all horribly out of date and skips to the end to see some comment that really didn't require any of the earlier messages to exist.

It is kind of funny though to be reading a post in the thread from a month ago and being like "who the f is this pretentious asshole" *looks at the poster name* "oh, it's me. I'm the pretentious asshole. Cool, cool, cool, cool..."

#32 2019-12-14 03:33:20

Spoonwood

Gogo wrote:

No danger - no fun. And how you guys feel about it?

I wouldn't go that far.  But, I do think that danger can make things more interesting.  I'm not so sure that the game would be more fun if mosquito bites, snakes, wolves, boars, and bears couldn't kill you.  I once trapped a lot of mosquitoes, like 17, and then with some help entombed them (jungles were mid temperature level then).  I did get bite during the process and had to hustle out of the jungle or I'd lose my Eve spawn.  I don't think it would have felt like such an accomplishment if there wasn't a sense of danger there.

Danish Clinch.

#33 2019-12-14 06:42:50

Spoonwood

I spent a life like an hour or two ago where I hunted boars, wolves, and snakes.  Snakes have been the most dangerous for me.  I've had trouble attacking them and ended up bite before (and dead).  It felt more gratifying to kill the snakes than the wolves and boars.  I definitely think the extra sense of danger had something to do with it.  I felt a little worried, because I could feel my heart racing when fighting those snakes and didn't feel that way when hunting the boars and wolves.  It was both more fun and more stressful to hunt the snakes than the boars and wolves.

Danish Clinch.

#34 2019-12-14 10:50:47

arkajalka

The EZ mode playes a big part in this.

Just makes things, too... EZ

Miss the challenge, but dont really miss the "killers". The whole pvp mechanic is just too suited for killing. Tho nowdayes its much harder as you are so slow when solo. Ofc you can stabby stab unexpecting nobos down like butter with hot knife, but to kill a experienced player in a town with healing suplies demands convoluted planing and i like that aspect.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

Board footer