One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-12 13:52:24

Wuatduhf

[Suggestion] "My family has..."

A quick thought I had after returning to this game once again post-Arc and post-Rift. It goes something like the property fence/naming verbal mechanics.

Would it add to the gameplay experience to be able to write on a piece of paper "MY FAMILY HAS [Insert Tool Here]", and each time that paper is read, it tells you how many living relatives have learned that tool?

i.e.

"MY FAMILY HAS BAKERS" (Hot Adobe Oven)

If 5 people in your lineage knew how to use the Hot adobe oven, it would auto-convert into

"MY FAMILY HAS FIVE BAKERS"

Essentially, this would make it possible for any adult to read to kids, or for the youngins to read themselves, to see if a specific tool type is lacking from the village. It would require paper investment, and the right age to write the phrase, so it wouldn't be giving the information away 100% free.

"MY FAMILY HAS TWO KILNSMEN"

"MY FAMILY HAS SIX SHOVELERS"

"MY FAMILY HAS NO MINERS"

Last edited by Wuatduhf (2019-11-12 13:52:50)

#2 2019-11-12 22:57:49

Kaveh

Re: [Suggestion] "My family has..."

How would it help though? It'd only save you from asking stuff if there's no one with the skill at the moment.
If there ARE people with the skill, you'd still have to ask around to figure out who that actually is.
Plus, if 5 people can use an oven, that doesn't mean baking is being taken care of rn

#3 2019-11-13 08:44:26

Lum

I know trying to interact with your fellow family members can sometimes be very frustrating, especially if they are unresponsive. However, having magic paper that tells you what is needed seems like a bad call. It would essentially limit player interaction even more. Besides, I've helped at the oven in many lives before leaving to do smth else. It doesn't make me a baker.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#4 2019-11-13 15:42:35

Gomez

Honestly do inventory of village and you will find something that needs done...start with food.  A lot of food means someone cooked recently.  Missing tools? smith some. No discs? Go saw some butt logs.  No drilled disc? go flint tipped bow drill etc.  Food and wood are the foundation of the civ so start there and work up the tech tree.

Doing a water food and tool inventory when I spawn is usually my road map to wtf needs to be done.

Last edited by Gomez (2019-11-13 15:43:44)

#5 2019-11-13 18:17:32

Kaveh

Gomez wrote:

Honestly do inventory of village and you will find something that needs done...start with food.  A lot of food means someone cooked recently.  Missing tools? smith some. No discs? Go saw some butt logs.  No drilled disc? go flint tipped bow drill etc.  Food and wood are the foundation of the civ so start there and work up the tech tree.

Doing a water food and tool inventory when I spawn is usually my road map to wtf needs to be done.

Same here, I decide what to do based on what is/isn't there.
Main questions for me (from most important to least important):

1. Are we on the brink of starvation?
2. Can I upgrade the current well / improve the current or future water situation?
3. Do we have enough compost / firewood / food to be comfortable for a while?
4. Are a lot of people naked?

If any of those questions requires attention, I'll see to it. If not, I just chill, build, RP, whatever.

Board footer