One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-02 23:47:48

TyrantNomad

SERVER LAG AND CLIENT DE-SYNC

Multiple players are currently experiencing mild to severe server lag long before the servers reach their capacity.
Under normal circumstances these past days, all servers with about 100+ players suffered from mild lag.

As of right now, the only active server, which currently holds about 70 players, is becoming unplayable due to severe lag.
Actions take multiple times longer than intended -
Metalworking? Forget about it.
Bumped into a tree? That's 5 seconds to grab a leaf.
Following people? Sorry, not gonna happen - everyone transports via 2-screen teleportation.
Feeding a baby and doing something else? - Nope, that's up to 15s to swap between babies and objects.

Clients are also starting to de-sync, which worsens the situation even more.
Those 5 seconds you spent trying to desperately pick up a carrot? It was actually long gone!

Map suddenly updates, moving multiple items on the floor around.

#2 2018-03-03 14:29:11

illoOminated

Re: SERVER LAG AND CLIENT DE-SYNC

Even though I don't like the all caps title - he's unfortunately right. The game is absolutely amazing - however, lag and desync make it pretty hard to enjoy it at some points.
Constructive criticism:
Would a "possibility check" hurt the game's performance? E.g. if I'm holding a basket, why does my character even start bumping trees when I click on one? It's an "impossible" action after all. It would make the lag much less annoying.

#3 2018-03-03 17:39:47

TyrantNomad

illoOminated wrote:

Even though I don't like the all caps title - he's unfortunately right. The game is absolutely amazing - however, lag and desync make it pretty hard to enjoy it at some points.
Constructive criticism:
Would a "possibility check" hurt the game's performance? E.g. if I'm holding a basket, why does my character even start bumping trees when I click on one? It's an "impossible" action after all. It would make the lag much less annoying.

bahahahah sorry for the caps - but honestly, I've barely been able to enjoy the game in the past two days due to severe server lag and client de-syncs, which saddens me greatly.

#4 2018-03-03 23:58:12

Doctor Flintrock

As of posting time, my game has been lagging a lot. It's the first time it's been this bad for me. You die unexpectedly from hunger and seem to move very slow.

(It appears a computer reset solved the problem. Shrug)

Last edited by Doctor Flintrock (2018-03-04 23:00:43)

#5 2018-03-05 23:10:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This was fixed for the time being by reducing the population cap on the servers.

#6 2018-03-06 20:10:30

illoOminated

Sorry to tell you, but... I still bump trees for 15-30 seconds on a regular basis, so in my opinion it's not fixed at all.

I had a short look at the code and if I understood correctly, whenever interacting with a tile you get the tile's content first? Couldn't you save that server call and instead just submit your "planned" command to the server and the server
a) executes it and returns the result
b) rejects it if it's not valid
I don't want to tell you how to program your game, though, and DEFINITELY don't want to seem rude. smile

#7 2018-03-07 23:17:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The bumping for 15-30 seconds is a different bug that isn't lag related.  It's a bug where the client tells the server that you want to do something but never gets a response telling the client that the action happened.  So you bounce forever, waiting for the response.

And no, there are NOT two round-trips when you ask the server to do something.  There is simply a USE message that is sent right away, and the player responds with a PU (player update) message telling you what happened.

You already have the map client-side, so your client doesn't need to check what's there before sending a USE action.

#8 2018-03-08 16:47:55

illoOminated

... I see! Guess my look at the code was not close enough - sorry 'bout that!
And thanks a lot for your explanation! smile

#9 2018-03-12 14:53:00

Potjeh

Desync keeps happening all the time. I just raised a village, and half my grandkids were invisible.

#10 2018-03-12 20:17:24

Exgrathanor

For me this is lag is happening at peek player times, such as when little kids get out of school around 3-4 eastern, and on the weekends. I think I'm just not even going to try to play during peek times until these bugs can be fixed. It's not enjoyable when I'm literally holding a child in my hand, have a thriving civilization built, and it dies. For a game that is so time sensitive, even the slightest lag of not being able to feed yourself when you're low on hunger makes it literally unplayable. I can't even imagine how quickly this game will die in popularity if hackers start DDoSing it. Lag due to unexpected player capacity or DDoSing can ruin games. It happened to me in Archeage and in Albion online sad. Albion online got 10 times the amount of players they estimated in their worst case scenario that they'd have to support from their beta tests. The lag when the game came out was unbearable. Yet again in a game where dying means you lose literally everything you're carring (full loot), it was not a fun experience. Good luck with the bug fixes. I'll hang in there and try to play around the spikes.

Board footer