One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-08 14:25:35

Tempted

Serious question for Jason

Don't know if you will see this, but I was wondering, through your own experience in this endeavor, how hard has it been to balance the game so that it both feels challenging and unique to a veteran player, but also easy enough to pick up and want to play again as a new player?
Was just curious how complicated that is to you concerning this game?
Thanks

#2 2019-11-08 17:23:44

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Serious question for Jason

Yeah, that's extremely hard to get right.

In this kind of game, everyone is thrown in together.  So there can't really be a normal "ramp" for beginning players.

I've been focused on adding optional "tools" that beginning players can use, like the hint sheets and new blue hint arrows.  Veteran players can just avoid using them, so they don't get in the way.

But it's really really hard to make the game easier for beginning players in a fair way.

#3 2019-11-08 17:26:39

Tempted

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, that's extremely hard to get right.

In this kind of game, everyone is thrown in together.  So there can't really be a normal "ramp" for beginning players.

I've been focused on adding optional "tools" that beginning players can use, like the hint sheets and new blue hint arrows.  Veteran players can just avoid using them, so they don't get in the way.

But it's really really hard to make the game easier for beginning players in a fair way.

Kind of what I was thinking. Thank you!

#4 2019-11-08 21:45:31

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I kinda have a question too. I've been curious for a long time why it's always one branch in a family that continues on? You never see distant relatives within the same town. If the family splits off and moves far away they'll do fine and live, but if they're close it always seems one branch dominates over others.

Is there any reason for this? Is it just luck?

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#5 2019-11-09 11:00:20

WalrusesConquer

I've seen my cousin ×17 removed. My guess is that the more females you have in an area, the more babies you get and the more are banned from being born in that area. However if you move away the same penalty doesn't apply. So most people in the town are closely related since not as many players will be born to each of them

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#6 2019-11-09 11:30:28

CatX

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I kinda have a question too. I've been curious for a long time why it's always one branch in a family that continues on? You never see distant relatives within the same town. If the family splits off and moves far away they'll do fine and live, but if they're close it always seems one branch dominates over others.

It's probably more statistics than luck.
If famine hits for example and kills half the people in a village, the death toll will probably not be evenly distributed. So if there are ten branches in a town where people struggle to survive, it's unlikely that an equal amount of fertile females from each branch survives. Likelier some branches die out. And if it gets that bad, I guess some branches move to find food elsewhere as well.

#7 2019-11-09 17:07:11

DestinyCall

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I'm guessing it is at least partially related to baby distribution.    If two branches of the family are living in the same village, they are competing for the same pool of babies.  Over time, one branch will end up with more females and out-produce the other branch.   If two branches are living in different villages, they have a slightly different pool of potential offspring, due to area ban.   This allows them to gain players from each other.  Basically they "trade" babies.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-11-09 17:49:15)

Board footer