One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-04 07:00:52

Coconut Fruit

A purpose to live + an idea for limiting resources on infinite map

It would be better if we had a purpose to prolong arcs, once we get everything there is no real purpose to live.

I was thinking maybe instead of limiting number of uses for oil rigs it could be fun if oil rigs were blocking themselves after every use for some period of time, and the block time would increase after every next use. Eventually block time would be so big that we wouldn't be able to survive long enough to get to the next kerosene.

Also I think if a family can't do it - it should die out. This is another bad thing in rift. If a family is to weak it just moves to another family and lives there together with the another family.

Also without rift this could be a good mechanic too to limit resources without limiting map size. One family could build only 2 or 3 wells and only one oil rig. Oil rig would block itself after every use for some period of time, and the block time would increase after every next use. It could be fun to see how long families would survive and how they would behave to live as long as possible.
It also could be cool if newcomen stuff were unlocked for a family after let's say 10 hours of family's age - to that time we would have to live from those 2 or 3 wells.

6 families limit would work great in infinite world too - eve window would open every time a family dies out - so there always would be 6 families - it would prevent from dying families because of lack of players. It could be more once we get more active players.

Gotta note that a family couldn't use another's family oil rig or well - it would open a purpose to actually make wars which could be fun too. Or even trades if iron was limited by the same way.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#2 2019-11-05 23:52:37

Coconut Fruit

Re: A purpose to live + an idea for limiting resources on infinite map

Any thoughts, anyone? tongue

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#3 2019-11-06 00:13:16

miskas

"It would be better if we had a purpose to prolong arcs, once we get everything there is no real purpose to live."

Explain the problem, what exactly exists, why do you think it exists, in what % of players, when does it start to exist?

Let us understand the facts and the problems first before we seek solutions.

What is the purpose to live?  I just live to farm genes these days, others might live to craft, others to fix cities, other to genocide, grief or troll, others for personal projects.

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-06 00:16:32)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#4 2019-11-06 00:32:48

Coconut Fruit

I mean once we reach oil and engine pump stagnation starts. Why would we save water if it gonna end soon anyways, why doing anything. What if saving water could actually prolong our life "survive long enough and you will be able to get another tank of kerosine"? I mean it's just a small change but could be fun.

I'm more curious about your thoughts about infinite world with limited resources. Only 3 wells and only one oil rig per family.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#5 2019-11-06 02:02:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, this is interesting!

It also makes some sense, generally, as the oil sand or whatever down there would take more and more time to recharge between pumpings.

There is a general question of "why", of course, that haunts this game generally.  I don't anticipate any easy solutions.... there may be no solutions at all.

It's a bit like the question of "why" in real life, unfortunately.  Mainly because the game goes on and on, forever and ever.

When I play a game like Noita, my goal is to go deeper and deeper.  As I go deeper, it gets harder and harder, so I need to improve my skill as a player and play the shallower parts better and better (to have more resources to spend on equipment that will help me in the harder depths of the game).  But WHY?  Well, because it's there, and I haven't made it all the way through yet.  Once I do, if I ever do, the game will lose much of its interest factor for me.

In OHOL, I suppose it's pretty hard for it to get harder and harder over time.  Yeah, maybe in one life, I could pull this off.  So it's really really hard (maybe impossible) to live until 60.  But is that interesting?

Then we can talk about the collective project in the game.  It's also hard for THAT to get harder and harder, because as tech progresses, stuff is supposed to get easier (right?).  That's the point of building tech, or else you just wouldn't build it.

But it does get harder in a way.  Getting a diesel pump built in time is harder than starting a farm as Eve, right?

In general, I've avoided a "waiting game" as part of the core systems in this game.  Most crafting games have time as a resource, and I really don't like that grindy, wait-around feeling.  It takes 60 seconds to craft one high quality metal....  ugg.

The waiting game for the next oil flow is much more interesting....  can we make our food supply last that long?  We all better yum, and keep warm, and eat efficient foods.

But there's still a "watching the clock" aspect that I don't like..... going back and checking over and over, etc.

Unless it was global, server-wide.... like there was an earthquake that loosened up more oil, and the quakes got farther and farther apart....

#6 2019-11-06 02:07:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Also, this could be a different philosophical underpinning of the entire game structure.

Instead of "everything runs out," it could be, "everything gets slower and slower to respawn over time".

I mean, why stop at oil?

In the wild, the berries could start out respawning quickly, but as you pick more and more, they could get slower and slower.  So you can depend on wild food for a while, but it gets harder and harder.  Your farms could grow slower and slower.  Your wells could produce water slower and slower, etc.  So then the challenge in the game (to last X seconds before the next batch of input) would grow over time at all levels.  But so would the waiting...

#7 2019-11-06 02:16:53

Grim_Arbiter

jasonrohrer wrote:

In OHOL, I suppose it's pretty hard for it to get harder and harder over time.  Yeah, maybe in one life, I could pull this off.  So it's really really hard (maybe impossible) to live until 60.  But is that interesting?

Then we can talk about the collective project in the game.  It's also hard for THAT to get harder and harder, because as tech progresses, stuff is supposed to get easier (right?).  That's the point of building tech, or else you just wouldn't build it.

But it does get harder in a way.  Getting a diesel pump built in time is harder than starting a farm as Eve, right?

I think having something extremely difficult to do is better than it just being extremely difficult to make it to old age.

I dont think tech is supposed to get easier, it just makes our lives easier, at the cost of effort, skill, and motivation.. just like real life. Newcomen pumps at were one time THAT thing. Hell even CARTS were that point in the launch of the game. It was probably difficult to build those carts in the beginning and an accomplishment, like getting oil now.

No, it might just be about the same difficulty and luck to successfully eve or get oil.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#8 2019-11-06 02:18:52

Grim_Arbiter

jasonrohrer wrote:

Unless it was global, server-wide.... like there was an earthquake that loosened up more oil, and the quakes got farther and farther apart....

Also this sounds pretty good.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#9 2019-11-06 02:46:03

Coconut Fruit

I didn't think about it before, but if time was the only factor then it would benefit low populated families. Less people means less water consumed, right? And that would give free time and less effort to survive. That's not good.
Unless the time was counted differently depending how many people are playing. If there was one player, time to recharge would decrease by 1 every second, if there were 40 players time to recharge would decrease by 40 every second. I don't know... tongue

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#10 2019-11-06 08:50:22

miskas

I like where this is going.  Efficiency is rewarded, There is a reward if you hit a goal, and balance this over player population.

the Earthquake in a Post Rift era would mean that Old cities could be rehabilitated and The ever world expansion will be mitigated.

Earthquake mechanic: It will have a countdown that it will start ticking as soon as a bell tower is done. After the earthquake, the bell tower goes to ruins and has to be being built for the countdown to start ticking again.

This will make sure that resources replenishment not only happens from time to time but We will actively trigger it.

Earthquake could also have a range around the bell tower. so it's not the whole server.

Quest Mini game:
Apocalypse towers could let the countdown ticking but prevent the earthquakes to trigger, So as soon as we manage to demolish the apocalypse tower ( make it destructible) and the countdown has reached 0 already, An earthquake would happen big_smile

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-06 09:12:47)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

Board footer