One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-05 10:34:34

Dodge

I miss old OHOL

It was so great https://www.habbo.com/ smile

Remember all the roleplay and building decorations?

Sigh i miss these days...

I heard club penguin is coming back in 2020, maybe they will add crafting to it, would be so great.

#2 2019-11-05 16:27:03

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Re: I miss old OHOL

"Wow people miss the way the game was when they got it?? What a bunch of clowns. Better make a hilarious forum post. This will show them..."

I think you're just mad everyone hates your ideas. Weren't you the one who came up with the idea of the rift AND tool slots?

Last edited by DiscardedSlinky (2019-11-05 16:36:11)

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#3 2019-11-05 17:39:54

Dodge

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I think you're just mad everyone hates your ideas.

Right...

No i didn't have the idea for the rift, my post was about limited ressources and limited world but i pictured more something like earth with continents and oceans.

Yes specializations was my idea, well it was proposed by many others so not strictly mine.

And no idc if people like it or not currently, i know it's a good thing for the game in the long run.

I'm more disapointed about the constant negativity that could instead be much more valuable feedback

You have to go trough 10 "REMOVE THIS REEEEE" to find 1 valuable interesting information.

But unfortunately even most discussion about changing how the game works revolves around adding more content like more fruits,  more types of trees, more useless foods, like adding pizza will make everything so much better.

It could actually be interesting but each change in the game is met with continuous negativity

Yes OHOL was a cute roleplay parenting building decoration game, can we move on?

There's a lot of these types of games where it's all about building and just mindlessly doing tasks without having to think about it, OHOL can be so much more than this.

#4 2019-11-05 17:42:04

Dodge

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Better make a hilarious forum post.

Thanks btw smile

#5 2019-11-05 20:59:06

luckynmd

(said in a grampa's voice:) I kind of miss the good old times ...Well... This is OHOL, I miss the times of six months ago. I got in before the big sword craze, back then the patches of biome were random and not as easy to find... We had to walk through 6ft of snow for 5 miles every morning to get to school! lol

#6 2019-11-05 21:19:31

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Can we move on? Like most of the player base has. This game is still being advertised as such, and the tagline for the game is "a multiplayer survival game of parenting and civilization building".

The updates are extremely inconsistent and problems go ignored so water and oil can be nerfed for the 60th time. Problems are patched with bandaids while the REAL issue goes completely ignored. He does nothing but restrict us and make the game MORE of a grind than ever. Just oil and engine rushing for 20 hours so it can be reset again and start the cycle all over.
So YEAH I do miss the old days when things weren't so fucking bland and annoying. At least back then I wasn't FORCED to do the advanced tech because I'm one of the few players that actually can. I'm fucking sick and tired of doing oil and engines every life. 90% of the players can't do advanced tech so entire arcs are held together by only a few skilled players every single time.

Maybe instead of constantly thinking of new ways to restrict us give the game a point. If family isn't the point and the game isn't "a cute roleplay parenting building decoration game" then what is it? What the fuck are we all doing this for?

Hope you figure it out before everyone DOES "move on".

I also /blush.

#7 2019-11-05 21:35:42

Dodge

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

If family isn't the point and the game isn't "a cute roleplay parenting building decoration game" then what is it? What the fuck are we all doing this for?

What family?

The baby you say goodbye to at age 4?

Or the brother you will never talk to ever in your 60 minute life?

Do you see the issue now?

#8 2019-11-05 21:48:17

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

If family doesn't matter why does the genetic fitness score exist and made to matter so much?

:thinker:

I also /blush.

#9 2019-11-05 22:34:07

Coconut Fruit

Family matters overall but individuals don't matter and this is not an issue to me. Genetic fitness exists to prevent some situations like abandoning kids without a reason, and also it tries to connect people which I don't really see a need for doing it. The goal is to keep your family thrive, I want to put effort to make it happen but I don't want to care if my sis dies - I don't care about it as long as family can thrive. I didn't buy the game to care for individuals. To me everyone with the same family name is equal.

Dodge wrote:

What family?

The baby you say goodbye to at age 4?

Or the brother you will never talk to ever in your 60 minute life?

Do you see the issue now?

What issue? I don't see any issue here. Is your baby any better than anyone else with the same family name? If yes that would be an issue to me.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#10 2019-11-05 22:50:52

DestinyCall

Genetic fitness is just a weird number that means almost nothing.    I get abandoned by my mom and I lose a tool slot.    I raise three kids to adulthood and I lose a tool slot.   I spend my whole life wandering around looking for a town and I gain a tool slot.

It means nothing.

#11 2019-11-06 03:39:54

fug

DestinyCall wrote:

Genetic fitness is just a weird number that means almost nothing.    I get abandoned by my mom and I lose a tool slot.    I raise three kids to adulthood and I lose a tool slot.   I spend my whole life wandering around looking for a town and I gain a tool slot.

It means nothing.

Talked about this for a second in discord today.

Why not make tool slots related to age instead of a meme score?

Pros:
Can still have 5-10 slots depending on age.
Players aren't hurt by bad mothers or playing during the end of an arc
Eve players aren't completely useless after enough time passes

Cons:
This text is colored
Gene score basically goes back to being useless.
Jason has to change something.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#12 2019-11-06 03:47:12

DestinyCall

Hmmm the colored text is a problem, but everything else looks reasonable to me.

#13 2019-11-06 04:00:40

Coconut Fruit

Cons:
Jason has to get out of bed and write some code.

Lmao

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#14 2019-11-06 08:32:51

Dodge

Yeah you're right saying goodbye to your 4 year old baby and never seeing them again or never talking with your brother that was born next to you is totally normal and makes for a very interesting game.

I guess as long as you can roleplay being a mom it's all good...

#15 2019-11-06 09:10:34

DestinyCall

Since the addition of the "new player alert", I've been caring for my new player children for a lot longer than age 4 on average.    I don't just give them a "nice knowing you.  good luck kiddo" and send them off into the cold world.

Now that I can tell them apart from the more experienced players (who generally neither need nor appreciate a helicopter mom), I will dote on my new babies and give them a lot more "mother time".   I carry them around and talk about what I'm doing and teach them about foods.    I'll also explain why I'm doing things - like how to harvest carrots before they go to seed and why I don't harvest the last row of carrots.    Or how to make compost, shear sheep, or kill a bear (it's important to develop life skills).

But if my kid is not flagged as a new player, I focus on the important things - getting them a backpack and as much clothing I can find.   And giving them a name.   Then I wish them luck and let them know that I'm available if they need help.    I'm usually pretty busy and they have their own life to live.   Three minutes is long enough to hang around with their mom.   I don't want the other kids to make fun of them for being slow.

#16 2019-11-06 09:20:36

Dodge

DestinyCall wrote:

Since the addition of the "new player alert", I've been caring for my new player children for a lot longer than age 4 on average.    I don't just give them a "nice knowing you.  good luck kiddo" and send them off into the cold world.
I will dote on my new babies and give them a lot more "mother time".

So cute, do you knit them wool booties too, and dress the little baby with the clothes?

What about older players that get born as your baby?

Do you just tell them to fuck off? lol

#17 2019-11-06 09:28:49

DestinyCall

No, wool booties are a waste of thread.   Wood clogs last forever.

I love my fake kids and would not want to teach them bad habits, like knitting.

#18 2019-11-06 09:56:06

Dodge

DestinyCall wrote:

I love my fake kids and would not want to teach them bad habits, like knitting.

But, but if wool booties are a waste then you cant play the grandma sitting in the rocking chair next to fire and knitting for their grand children.

This HAS to change plsssssssss Jason add rocking chairs and make wool booties better.

#19 2019-11-06 12:54:06

Coconut Fruit

DestinyCall wrote:

Wool booties have better insulation. During these 5 hours they can save some water tongue If the difference was one pip saved per about 20 seconds that would be 900 pips of food saved.
I'm not sure actually if 2% insulation difference (2 booties) can decrease pip drain by one second, would have to test it out with a timer. I may do it tomorrow to satisfy my curiosity.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#20 2019-11-06 13:02:15

fug

Coconut Fruit wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Wool booties have better insulation. During these 5 hours they can save some water tongue If the difference was one pip saved per about 20 seconds that would be 900 pips of food saved.
I'm not sure actually if 2% insulation difference (2 booties) can decrease pip drain by one second, would have to test it out with a timer. I may do it tomorrow to satisfy my curiosity.

It is definitely not worth making booties ever. There's enough pine trees on the map to mass produce clogs without worry of running out and if you're being efficient about mallet use (turning nearly broken mallets into clogs instead of busting them) you really don't have a reason to make booties.

Basic wool clothing is "free" but its better used as either thread, pads, or loom styled clothes. Making one wool booty is the same as hunting six rabbits which would give you 12 shoes...  The only basic wool item worth making is a cap because it can be upgraded to a santa hat which is the BiS nondecaying hat we have in game.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#21 2019-11-06 13:12:52

Coconut Fruit

fug wrote:

It is definitely not worth making booties ever.

Are you saying saving 900 pips isn't worth it? That's lots of water. Yeah, there is tons of logs but they don't produce water.

I may actually do more tests on local server to see how much insulation is needed to reduce pip drain by one second, and to see if it's linear. I'll do it tomorrow.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#22 2019-11-06 13:17:23

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Dodge is mad he was killed for being a bad mom in game.

It's okay Dodge maybe someday you'll understand how this game works.

I also /blush.

#23 2019-11-06 13:23:27

fug

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Are you saying saving 900 pips isn't worth it? That's lots of water. Yeah, there is tons of logs but they don't produce water.

I may actually do more tests on local server to see how much insulation is needed to reduce pip drain by one second, and to see if it's linear. I'll do it tomorrow.

You are covering the lightest weighted clothing slot with something that has a high cost to produce (and is inferior) to the BiS shoe. One booty is the same as hunting three rabbits (one gooseberry bowl + carrot) and producing one thread (other bowl of gooseberries + carrot). One booty has the same resource cost as SIX shoes which are warmer and last the same amount of time.

Booties also require you to know knitting needles which is 99% of the time a dead skill slot to know as you only really want aprons instead of normal basic wool clothing.

If you're not wanting the slight downgrade of forever shoes then you should be spending the time to make rabbit fur shoes instead. Booties and basic wool clothing in general is bad and should feel bad.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#24 2019-11-06 13:36:16

Coconut Fruit

I mean you are right that it's not worth making booties since rabbit shoes are cheaper and give better insulation.
But you are wrong saying that it's better to wear wooden shoes instead of booties only because they are cheaper to produce. Wooden shoes give less insulation. The less insulation you have the more food pips you drain. If 2% insulation is actually enough to increase pip drain by one second (that would mean you lose a pip every let's say 15 seconds instead of 14, depends on your overall insulation), that means you will eat less food and that means you will consume less water, actually much less water.

Good insulation is underrated. People don't even talk about it.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#25 2019-11-06 13:53:37

DestinyCall

Honestly, I'm just happy if I can convince more people to wear shoes ... any shoes.    Too many people run around barefoot and don't even realize they are losing out on two clothing slots.

Wearing straw hat, sheep skin, reed skirt, and wooden shoes is not as good as full rabbit gear, but it never decays and moves you from "completely naked" to "mostly clothed".    Fully clothed in all the best gear (wolf hat, sealskin coat, rabbit loincloth, rabbit shoes) is even better, of course.   But all those clothes will eventually fall apart.   The wolf/seal clothing is finite and eventually can't be found again.   The rabbit gear is now much harder to make and probably not worth the extra water usage, compared with using non-decaying alternatives.   

I'd be interested if someone was willing to do the math to compare the cost of producing new sets of rabbit clothing to replace each piece as it decays, compared with the extra food costs generated by wearing less insulated clothing.    Perhaps the difference is big enough to matter.    But I think it probably isn't worth the risk of some of your descendants running around without pants, because you didn't have enough rabbit hunters for one or two generation.     

Having a surplus of non-decaying clothes means that every baby can get protection quickly which reduces their lifetime food consumption.    Relying on decaying clothing means that some people will end up half-naked or under-clothed eventually, as clothing falls apart and needs to be replaced.   Before the rabbit nerf, there was almost always a surplus of rabbit fur in a well-managed village, so extra warm clothing could be made when necessary.   Now, I don't think that is guaranteed or even desirable, due to extra time/labor/water costs associated with rabbit hunting.   It is better to make a lot of cheap durable clothes, so everyone has something, instead of making a bunch of warm rabbit or wool clothes that falls apart over time.

Board footer