One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-02 19:12:56

Keyin

Why Jason...Jr

whyjason.png

My question is, why does his life count toward my score? we share so little of our genetic code. I don't even know any of my great uncles in real life.

I share 50% of DNA with my sister, her kid(niece) is 25%, here kid's kid is 12.5%(great niece), her kid's kid's kid is 6.25%(great great niece), and her kid's kid's kid's kid is 3.125%(great great great nephew)... Why should I care about him if we only share 3.125%??  Can their lives at least be weighted by degree of relatedness so I can prioritize closer relatives over others? Or maybe a cutoff at 12.5%?

Last edited by Keyin (2019-11-02 19:13:20)

#2 2019-11-02 19:33:27

Lum

Re: Why Jason...Jr

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that Jasonjr was born during your lifetime. Not genes or DNA.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#3 2019-11-02 19:37:37

Kaveh

I think matters cuz he was born before you died?

But yeah, would be nice if closer family members are more important. But on the other hand, this is the furthest your genes got, so maybe THAT should be most important. Hm.

#4 2019-11-02 19:37:41

Keyin

Lum wrote:

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that Jasonjr was born during your lifetime. Not genes or DNA.

I know that. My question is why should his life have any effect on my genetic score when we only share 3.125% of our DNA? I share 12.5% with a first cousin but they don't count toward my score.

Current genetic scoring incentivizes saving someone who has 3.125% over first cousin who shares 12.5%

#5 2019-11-02 20:30:24

Keyin

I haven't played anymore since that life, and look how much my score has changed due to obscure relatives whom I never met and share very little DNA with (12.5% at most, 3.125% at least)

seejason.png

almost a 6 point jump

I shouldn't be benefiting from their longevity in my opinion. Currently, my great great nephew Killis contributes more to my score than any other individual, that doesn't feel right to me.

#6 2019-11-02 21:49:13

Lum

Keyin wrote:
Lum wrote:

I know that. My question is why should his life have any effect on my genetic score when we only share 3.125% of our DNA? I share 12.5% with a first cousin but they don't count toward my score.

Current genetic scoring incentivizes saving someone who has 3.125% over first cousin who shares 12.5%

I don't understand what you're trying to get at? Your perception of "close family" just isn't necessarily the one put forward by this game. If he was born when you were alive, he's family, and you should be caring for him, that's all. Just because he's not your direct descendant does not mean he's less important to your family as a whole, and thus to you. You just seem misguided as to what constitutes the relevancy of an individual to you.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#7 2019-11-02 22:22:19

TheSamWish

I could maybe understand if they were born in another town and you genuinely never saw him, but he was born and died while you were alive. I also understand that there are still runner babies who don't want to be saved, but if there is a baby abandoned in your family you should do your best to help it out. (or help the mother if she is struggling)
Family is just the last name, this game doesn't take into consideration how many degrees you are separated from them.

You are Pepsi

#8 2019-11-02 23:03:30

Keyin

Lum wrote:

I don't understand what you're trying to get at? Your perception of "close family" just isn't necessarily the one put forward by this game. If he was born when you were alive, he's family, and you should be caring for him, that's all. Just because he's not your direct descendant does not mean he's less important to your family as a whole, and thus to you. You just seem misguided as to what constitutes the relevancy of an individual to you.

But by that same logic 'family as a whole' thinking, shouldn't ALL family members born during my lifetime count then? You say you don't understand what I am getting at but then address it immediately afterward. The game should match fairly closely to peoples perception of close family. The incentive to take care of closer related family should be greater than for more distantly related people.

50% relatedness(mom, dad, brother, sister, kids) takes precedence over 25% relatedness(grandparents, nieces and nephews, aunts and uncles, grand kids), which takes precedence over 12.5%(1st cousin,great grandparents, great nieces and nephews, great aunts and uncles, great grand kids) and so on.

#9 2019-11-02 23:50:00

Coconut Fruit

We have absolutely no control over other people lives. So it doesn't matter whos life counts towards our score - if we are unlucky then that person will die fast decreasing our score, if we are lucky then that person will die at old age increasing our score.

Well, maybe it does matter a little, because more people die being young than at old age - so the more people count towards our score the more chance our score will decrease.

It also depends at what stage the town we live in is. Our skill doesn't really matter except that our age counts towards score too.

So the best tactic is living always to 60 and not letting your kids die before they reach age of 3, can't do more.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#10 2019-11-03 08:23:33

jcwilk

Lum wrote:

That eliminates the purpose of how they're related to you though doesn't it? If closer dna means bigger effect then mothers, sisters, daughters are all a bigger deal than fourth cousins 5 times removeds, which seems more aligned to how it is in real life.

I guess the whole binary your family / not your family aspect of the game does throw it off quite a bit. I wonder what the game would be like if whether someone was part of your family was a spectrum somehow... Like if eves were all sisters that happened to have different last names basically.

Board footer