One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-28 23:41:13

Stormyzabeast

What's the deal with wells?

They're all dry or thoroughly dry. I've spent three lives looking for a "good" one. I'm not sure I read about this update

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#2 2019-10-28 23:43:19

fug

Re: What's the deal with wells?

People including myself have rushed wells since the change. People speedrun them in <30 minutes and just dump them wherever they can and then the arc devolves into hide and seek. Well hide, and you seek where it's actually possible to play.

At least when I do it I tell people where they are. Someone else has been just doing them and hiding them just as quick as I can do them.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2019-10-28 23:55:20

Stormyzabeast

Yeah..... Every mom I have dies literally cursing Jason. My last words were... Well... They weren't nice. This is fucking stupid

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#4 2019-10-28 23:56:21

Stormyzabeast

My genetic score went from 47 to 10.....

#5 2019-10-29 00:01:27

PeebleCreek

Stormyzabeast wrote:

My genetic score went from 47 to 10.....

Same. I was at like 43-ish and then dropped all the way down to 7. Yikes.

I always name my first daughter Amala, and my first son Damen.

#6 2019-10-29 01:07:54

Stormyzabeast

Dudeeeee! I found a well some asshole built in the Badlands. Made a thriving town!!! I'm so happy

#7 2019-10-29 01:20:23

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I'm not really sure how to deal with this issue.

If there are too many wells, the systems that are supposed to run out just don't run out.

But if there are very few wells, after they are built, they are hard to find.  And also, people who aren't founding villages (griefers) can build wells just to mess things up.

I think there needs to be some way for you to locate wells once they are built.

What if the horizontal line that the well was on got some kind of special marker?

I think the "thoroughly dry" thing could be useful to tell you "there's a well in this row, somewhere".  Maybe in the row and column.  Like beacons.

#8 2019-10-29 01:25:18

Thaulos

How about a tool that acted like a map but pointed at the nearest well instead?

Dowsing.jpg

#9 2019-10-29 01:26:20

Thaulos

Mind you that this still doesn't solve the issue with wells being created in inhospitable areas. We shouldn't need to rely on Tarr being online 100% of the time so he can make us reasonable wells.

#10 2019-10-29 01:29:16

Stormyzabeast

Thaulos wrote:

Mind you that this still doesn't solve the issue with wells being created in inhospitable areas. We shouldn't need to rely on Tarr being online 100% of the time so he can make us reasonable wells.

+1

#11 2019-10-29 01:33:44

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Actually, there already IS an indicator of sorts.

After all the well spots are used up:

--Dry Natural Springs remain in the area around a well

--Thoroughly Dry Natural Springs are everywhere else.

So you can kinda tell if you're in the area by what kind of dry you find.  However, I feel like you really need some kind of "gradient" to climb with more information.

Maps to find the nearest well?  Those area already in the game as maps!  Go to a well and make a map.  Or spread maps around the game to tell people where you found the well.

#12 2019-10-29 01:39:27

Stormyzabeast

jasonrohrer wrote:

Actually, there already IS an indicator of sorts.

After all the well spots are used up:

--Dry Natural Springs remain in the area around a well

--Thoroughly Dry Natural Springs are everywhere else.

So you can kinda tell if you're in the area by what kind of dry you find.  However, I feel like you really need some kind of "gradient" to climb with more information.

Maps to find the nearest well?  Those area already in the game as maps!  Go to a well and make a map.  Or spread maps around the game to tell people where you found the well.

That's not really feasible. When you're eve'ing, naked with a bunch of babies? Plus, people aren't going to just make maps to run around and leave.

How about you just make them the way they were. It was fine

#13 2019-10-29 02:06:58

Thaulos

I knew about the dry/thoroughly dry mechanic and was still unable to find the well within my life time. And I set out to look for it as soon as I could. You increased the radius to 160 (up from 80). That's an 320x320 area. Add in "noise" from other wells and you are pretty much in the dark.

#14 2019-10-29 02:24:22

Thaulos

A quick fix could just be removing springs from mountains for now.

#15 2019-10-29 08:32:49

CatX

What if all wells in an area were connected to the same underground reservoir?
You could build wells on all available nearby springs, but taking water from one well would reduce the water in all connected wells as well.

#16 2019-10-29 10:01:27

StrongForce

What if a well decays if it's no used for an hour
Freeing up a new place

Last edited by StrongForce (2019-10-29 10:01:41)

Baby dance!!

#17 2019-10-29 16:04:20

fug

StrongForce wrote:

What if a well decays if it's no used for an hour
Freeing up a new place

Then it would be a game of wiping out all the dry/thoroughly dry spots on the map to make sure the wells can only exist on the picked locations.

It'd probably just be better to make it so everyone can have a well but limit it at the newcomen pump which then thoroughly dries out the wells and limits everything. At least then the Eve window wouldn't be a 30 minute race followed up by hide and seek.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#18 2019-10-30 16:56:41

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, I'm not really sure how to deal with this issue.

If there are too many wells, the systems that are supposed to run out just don't run out.

Some systems should not run out.  The 'everything runs out' notion is not one that will appeal to a wide variety of players.  Some vital systems running out can work if other vital systems can replace them.  But, if there's no sustainable path, then it's all doomed in the end.  San-Cal (an attractive place that many players/ex-players have mentioned and remember) worked, because some systems didn't run out.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#19 2019-10-30 18:00:31

jcwilk

Spoonwood wrote:

Some systems should not run out.  The 'everything runs out' notion is not one that will appeal to a wide variety of players.  Some vital systems running out can work if other vital systems can replace them.

My vote would be on all systems running out but it taking a potentially very long time if your tech level is well above your population level, eg, if you have a well and only 4 players then that should last a really long time but if you have 40 players then that'll run out pretty quick and you'll need to tech up or build additional wells or move. This makes more sense without the rift, of course. Eventually you might need a train to transport raw materials from far away mines and water holes and such, something like that. As the radius of influence of your town grows the area of stuff you have access to increases with a squared relationship so that should provide a lot of wiggle room to a growing city assuming they're industrious enough.

#20 2019-10-30 18:09:56

Coconut Fruit

We have only 6 wells and 5 tarry spots. Do we really need so big rift? Searching for those is at least annoying on so big rift.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

Board footer