One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-03 02:11:36

rosden

A draft for a village set up

I wanted to come up with an ideal set up for a village. This is what i thought of:

A6Xvcbn.png

jobs:

Tool maker/smith - makes requested tools and develops smithing tech

clothier/hunter/animal caretaker - makes clothes and tools that require fur or animal hides. when not doing that they are out hunting rabbits or wolves
or they are working with domesticated animals.

farmer - makes carrots and milkweed also looks over crops making sure no one eats from the farm

cook/firekeeper - maintains fire near village center for toolmaker and mothers. also cooks meat the hunter gathers and makes pies.

helper/gatherer - asks the major jobs if they need any help or materials and gets them what they need ( not everything is going to be at arms length)

mothers - keep baby around fire near village center so you can go around and still do your jobs

this set up relies on around 6 people (1 for each major job with 2 helpers) to manage properly
but can be cut down to 3 people
with 1 being a farmer, 1 being a tool maker/firekeeper and 1 being a helper
with newer people taking over the jobs that have not been filled

the biggest problem is setting up and maintaining order in the village but that's always been a problem
maybe we need a village elder.

#2 2018-03-03 17:18:11

bransler

Re: A draft for a village set up

I'm not expert enough to say whether that specific layout is best (looks good to me) but I love this concept in general. 
With one or more standard layouts, a new character could arrive and instantly know where things go so they don't mess it up for others.

A major challenge is achieving division of labor without accidentally having too many people on one task and not enough on others. Possibly with a geographical structure like this, you can tell what's being worked on just by how many people are in a given area.

I guess your design above would need to rotate based on which resources were where (for example if I found a good spot with wetlands south of rabbits, I'd swap the farm and fire areas.

#3 2018-03-03 21:30:44

Uncle Gus

I definitely agree with dedicated work spaces but maybe with the game being grid based, the areas should be quadrants with the fire in the centre. But it all depends on the lay of the land, of course.

#4 2018-03-03 21:40:46

brianj

I disagree pretty strongly with the push for centralized villages.

The problem is that they are not very fault tolerant. One mismanaged generation in the carrot farm, and the family line fails.

Until we have some kind of granary technology, a distributed model will be much more successful at surviving over time.

#5 2018-03-03 22:10:38

bransler

I have assumed that a village like this (What I'm thinking of as the "rosden plan") would be pretty small, and as soon as the population hits a certain size, groups head out (east?) to scout and build another set of farms.

No doubt these strategies will evolve a lot As technologies change.

#6 2018-03-03 22:20:54

Tebe

Villages are crucial at this stage to craft the advanced tools - Once a village has steel tools to make barrows, fences, walls, and slow fires, it becomes a central hub from which new settlers may spread out - an eternal outpost that will always have the tools available to new generations, even if carrot drought ends the line. When new tech arrives, the organized village is well set up to discover and utilize the next tier.

#7 2018-03-03 22:32:36

brianj

We've hit a max of 12 generations so far.

We need to figure out a more robust social pattern before we worry about maxing tech.

The root problem right now is that large carrot farms are almost impossible to get to work.

Small carrot farms are ridiculously successful.

Central hubs are not the right model for success with our current tech options.

#8 2018-03-08 13:52:36

Kinrany

It's not about physical tech, the most important part is education.
Remember, things like math and literacy and knowing the standard village layout are also technologies, even though they're not represented with items in the game.
(Philosophically there is no difference between real and virtual technologies themselves, only between their applications.)

Every new member of the village should understand it's layout.
If there's specialization, every crucial role should have a backup.
It's okay (and even inevitable) if sometimes people will have to wear more than one role hat, duh.

Last edited by Kinrany (2018-03-08 20:40:49)

#9 2018-03-08 15:43:01

johnnyburninator

Interesting thread. I love the discussion of urban planning. The diagonal lines above may be hazy to delineate. Maybe have quadrants in the NW, NE, SE, SW.

"The world is only this way because we made it so in our ignorance." -Uncle Gus

#10 2018-03-08 16:20:07

xoomorg

I agree with large carrot farms being unweildy to get started and to maintain.

I have been focusing on creating small (seven plots:  three to seed, four to feed) farms directly next to ponds.  Four ponds can sustain a seven-plot farm.

I think if we can get to a place where most of the wetlands are full of these small farms, then any new Eve will be able to get started almost immediately upon spawning, and live a full life and raise children.

So far I have mostly seen settlements where people build something in the forest (because the green grass is pretty, I guess) and then have to send people to collect water from wetlands, trap rabbits in grasslands, search for milkweed, etc.  Rather than doing that (and leaving those precious -- fragile -- resources unwatched most of the time, vulnerable to newbies) I think we should build tiny farms directly next to the ponds, trapping/clothing outposts directly next to rabbit areas, etc.  Protect the vulnerable resources by having the people who care about them actually right there.  We should travel to interact and trade, not travel to get water for farms or bring rabbits back to a central campfire.

#11 2018-03-08 16:53:55

secondchild

I could imagine a setup of a number of these satellite farms with a single farmer serviced by someone running in wheelbarrows of empty baskets and running out wheelbarrows full of carrot baskets. Then these go to outposts that aren't producing food, like nursery, blacksmith, trappers (if cooks are separate), etc.

Board footer