One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-23 22:50:27

SpiritBomb32

Books are the key to culture and society.

Imagine if we had books bound in leather and paper, that told stories of past, spoke of myths and mentioned treasures. People would have debates, have a lifetime of logs from people's lives. You could find a traveler's journal that was scratchily written before their own demise. Someone could write who they were and how the village was, then another a couple generations forward could do the same. Written Laws! Which were the key to society way back then, a paved platform for which everyone to behave. Nowadays in game the closest is a couple baskets taking up 4 tiles with the last person reading them being authors' grandchildren then being swiftly ignored. Potential store clerks and salesmen could quickly check prices in their personal book and tell it outloud to a seller. Missionaries could spread their beliefs by etching their opinions on an open canvas and quickly reading it. With bookcases towns could hold endless knowledge.

Now this opens up the option of quick copy, ready to use text, like preparing a conversation before hand. As for the number of pages. . ? As many as you make, as long as the limit is 20 or around there. As for making a book, a stack of papers could be prepared and pressured down using a flat rock (for a bigger book, a few of these stacks), using thread to sew spine of the stacks together, and use candle wax(or some glue alternative) to coat it, then put a hide or animal skin on it. And pressure it again.
As for writing? I don't know, maybe an actual pencil. Really the easiest way of switch pages would be scroll wheel or arrow keys.

On the topic of Towns, there's no nationalism, no self admiration. You barely see town names, or any history of it. Culture is spread to only the immediate generation then forgotten. Sure there's notes, but who is going to follow an ancestor's requests or even to pick it up in the first place.

Though with the seemingly shorter town lifespans, such an addition might be pointless for now.

PS. For god's sake please let us write numbers on paper.

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#2 2019-12-04 05:55:13

Galafalachida

Re: Books are the key to culture and society.

I love this idea!
It would add so many cool outlets for story development!!!
I WANT TO BE A LIBRARIAN!

Im just here to soak up the juicy drama ; )

#3 2019-12-04 06:56:32

Nemir

+1
Like this idea so much.
Also will be great to have book shelves

#4 2019-12-04 13:30:31

karltown_veteran

Books would be amazing. Loose leaf writing is too hard to keep track of. Leather for case could come from cow

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#5 2019-12-04 15:38:38

Legs

Just imagine, page after page book after book of nothing but "need content" permanently marked in ink.

Loco Motion

#6 2019-12-04 16:44:14

Gogo
Banned

Well, nice idea, would be cool to find abandon place and some book about history of town.

#7 2019-12-04 17:48:31

SpiritBomb32

Lmao I forgot about this post, thanks for reviving it. Closest books we have is a line of written papers in a small slot chest or 3 in a basket. Also books could make generational culture kinda feasible

Last edited by SpiritBomb32 (2019-12-04 17:50:27)

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#8 2019-12-04 19:09:17

The_Anabaptist

Both FutureBird and I have promoted the addition of books in the past.  Hopefully you succeed where we failed.

The_Anabaptist

#9 2019-12-05 00:58:44

antking:]#

Lets face it, people would just wright a book spamming a single word, because this is OHOL

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

Board footer