One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-09 08:17:35

Coconut Fruit

What caused the apocalypse?

What caused the apocalypse? Both families were alive.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#2 2019-10-09 08:35:50

Tipy

Re: What caused the apocalypse?

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#3 2019-10-09 20:46:40

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, both families were left alive, but there were 0 mothers left.  Thus, if someone were to join, there would be nowhere for them to be born.  That itself is an apocalypse trigger.

#4 2019-10-10 02:14:26

happynova

Pity. I was really hoping we were going to manage to beat the Boots this time.

#5 2019-10-10 11:24:46

StrongForce

Wow the new Rev was short.
What happened?
I just walled of South west corner for my castle

Last edited by StrongForce (2019-10-10 11:25:23)

Baby dance!!

#6 2019-10-10 17:50:54

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what happened.

Toward the end, there were still 4 fams left inside the rift, but the majority of BBs were being born outside of the rift, which starved the in-rift fams of BBs, causing the arc to end.

Perhaps people found some way to escape.... but even so, they're not supposed to be considered as mothers if they are outside.  Maybe there's a bug in that code.

#7 2019-10-10 18:33:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Tarr did it.

#8 2019-10-10 20:04:42

Jk Howling

Well, freedom was fun while it lasted folks. Guess I'm back to not playing again ;w;

Thanks for freeing us, Tarr. Had a lot of fun setting up camps in the outside world again. Hadn't played in like three months but seems I retained most of my game knowledge, which is good to know, given it'll be even longer before I pick up the game again [if I ever do].

Its a pity Jason didn't get to see all the joy and excitement players had when they realized they were outside, and that they could escape the hell cell. So many people had a blast with that! I know I did! But nope, muh experiments demand we be shoved into a box :'D

Til next time fam.

-Has ascended to better games-

#9 2019-10-10 21:54:02

FulmenTheFinn

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what happened.

Toward the end, there were still 4 fams left inside the rift, but the majority of BBs were being born outside of the rift, which starved the in-rift fams of BBs, causing the arc to end.

Perhaps people found some way to escape.... but even so, they're not supposed to be considered as mothers if they are outside.  Maybe there's a bug in that code.

The spawn algorithm doesn't work when you're outside the rift, which leads to an early apocalypse as the families outside hog all the baby spawns and the families inside starve from lack of players. This was very easy to spot while it was happening, here's a screenshot I took from the last arc:

DhrEfsc_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

It also happened in the arc before that, with the German and Bear families. I spent several hours building a nice town outside the rift that time, before the all but inevitable apocalypse happened a few hours later.

Actually this last rift before the currently on-going one, I was the last person inside the rift; I was the last Fitzgerald girl. Knowing from the previous arc with the Germans and Bears, that getting across the rift involves a plane and having a landing strip right next to the rift, I went looking for it to confirm my suspicions of the Sigmans being outside the rift, and quickly found it.

D87AtJc_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I then rode back home, took my aunt, cousin and several canisters of kerosene with me, and rode to the plane. I thought it might involve glitching across while getting out of the plane or something, but we were unable to figure it out. My aunt, cousin and daughter that was born near the plane then starved themselves, and as the other last remaining families inside the rift had just died out, and living inside then being futile anyway (no babies, no people), I chose to follow suit, ending the arc.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#10 2019-10-10 22:40:10

Coconut Fruit

Maybe it's because we had so nice town outside that nobody wanted to spawn anywhere else tongue

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#11 2019-10-10 22:47:10

FulmenTheFinn

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Maybe it's because we had so nice town outside that nobody wanted to spawn anywhere else tongue

No, the algorithm just doesn't seem apply to people outside the rift. This is supported by the fact that there were barely any spawns inside. This is including SID kids.

EDIT: I mean I guess it could also be down to an amount of randomness and wow-factor from being born outside the rift (many mothers told their kids they were outside the rift as soon as they spawned), but I'd still check the spawn algorithm code.

Last edited by FulmenTheFinn (2019-10-10 22:50:31)

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#12 2019-10-11 08:45:04

StrongForce

No baby should spawn outside the rift.
problem solved

Last edited by StrongForce (2019-10-11 08:46:55)

Baby dance!!

#13 2019-10-12 11:04:35

Spoonwood

Ugh... the problem with this sort of situation is that it just leads to Jason trying to prevent this sort of thing from happening by more confining The Rift, than re-thinking The Rift altogether.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer