One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-02 11:55:38

PXshadow

Posse system makes defending against stealing almost impossible.

A 3 second delay from knife pull out to getting the murder face not to mention the lag most players have so let's call it 4 seconds.

4 seconds to go in and take anything you want, or destroy anything you want. A horse makes this even easier for pin pointing certain areas to steal from quickly, and get around the eventual angry mob that will attempt to guard the items. The mob will be a slight burden but as long as you don't navigate to poorly you can continue the looting.

Not to mention, the absolute destruction this has against putting up fences to anyone that wants to take them down, there is no possible way to defend against a player that does not want the fences up, even if you defended for the entire 20 mins actively the posse system makes it so as soon as you go into it, they can quickly begin taking it all down because of the loss of speed.

A horse though by far is the most effective means to achieve this, and turns it to a little challenging to an incredibly simple task, it's unbeatable even against an extremely rare 4 posse run down.

This understanding of the flaws by the posse system comes from trying to build a little fenced house outside of a village with my wife in game and a few of our daughters, we wanted to build something for them to keep, and it was all going well,

until another player stumbled upon it and asked what is this, I replied "a house", and he said "why would you need that?" I explained  "In order to pass something to our little family and have a project to do."

as soon as that was said he began taking out the fences, me and my wife both said "what are you doing!" and he said "you don't need a house, you should just live in the village" I pulled out my knife and waited for the 3 seconds, but by 2 seconds he had taken off. For the next 40 mins in game time, he roamed with a horse against the 2 exposed sides of the fence waiting to find a gap in the defenses to quickly take a horse to the fence jump off, and proceed to destroy the fence. Half way into this nightmare, the entire town knew about him, we had 4-5 players guarding, and it was still not possible at all to stop him. We could get to the same tile and stand where he was breaking the fence but the delay meant he had no rush and could just quickly move away after 1.5 seconds hop back on the horse and take off again. I was only able to kill him after getting reborn pretending to be on his side, to eventually pull my knife out wait the 3 seconds as he stumbled to try to get back on his horse but failed and after about 5 seconds, because he was incredibly laggy he eventually rubber banded back into my knife range and I stabbed him.

So please some improvements for fences and a rework of the posse system would be amazing, to allow I assume intentional mechanics such as building private property in the game and making it easier to deal with people that steal/destroy.

PXshadow#9132
Senior full stack developer

#2 2019-10-02 14:59:06

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Posse system makes defending against stealing almost impossible.

Well, fences were meant to be consensual.  That's why there's a waiting period.  This is the general rule of homesteading.  You can only claim unclaimed land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fasTSY-dB-s

The situation you describe is a sticky edge case, though.  The land was unclaimed, and someone is just trying to bug you.

The idea with the posse system is that you can't chase someone down by yourself, but you can still guard an area.

Get the jump on this guy with a bow, and then wait for him to come back.  He can't get w/in 5 tiles of you once you have him locked with a bow.  Have your fam feed you during this time, and patrol your fence until it hardens off.

This is not really how fences are intended to function, but this set-up would allow you to railroad a fence against one player's will.  It would be much harder to do this with a fence that a large group of people didn't want.

Though the solution of getting reborn as his ally was clever and cool.  It may have felt like a "nightmare" to you, but you did have a puzzle to solve, and you solved it eventually.

#3 2019-10-02 15:01:22

MrShuriken

Barley any issue, just curse them and send em to donkey
Also, Fences are bad, blocks me from getting valuable resources like wubber and iron.
I do agree, however, when targeted with a knife you shouldnt be able to get on horses, it shouldn't kick you off, but it should prevent you from getting on one.

#4 2019-10-02 17:38:34

fug

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well, fences were meant to be consensual.  That's why there's a waiting period.  This is the general rule of homesteading.  You can only claim unclaimed land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fasTSY-dB-s

The situation you describe is a sticky edge case, though.  The land was unclaimed, and someone is just trying to bug you.

The idea with the posse system is that you can't chase someone down by yourself, but you can still guard an area.

Get the jump on this guy with a bow, and then wait for him to come back.  He can't get w/in 5 tiles of you once you have him locked with a bow.  Have your fam feed you during this time, and patrol your fence until it hardens off.

This is not really how fences are intended to function, but this set-up would allow you to railroad a fence against one player's will.  It would be much harder to do this with a fence that a large group of people didn't want.

Though the solution of getting reborn as his ally was clever and cool.  It may have felt like a "nightmare" to you, but you did have a puzzle to solve, and you solved it eventually.

Bows range is three not five.

Furthermore, I do agree that it's a little hard to use the posse system as it's nearly impossible to even get people organized to use it for the speed bug let alone to actually use it against someone being a pest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpgWHrJ6bLg

The two light brown Eves (SW square + NE square) are using the speed bug with max bonuses which is pretty noticeable on the horse vs the two black eves which are normal max speeds without the bug.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#5 2019-10-02 18:46:20

Don Holm

"Curse Pol Uno"
WE had the same situation with a thief called pol uno, she kept stealing our stuff in front of us knowing we cannot kill her without a 3 seconds head start for her to run, it took the whole village to catch and kill her, after losing most of our stuff, and we were like 10-20 players? Anyway everyone cursed her so I'm pretty sure she's in donkey town by now smile

Maybe the posse system should apply once on the target player, not every time we charge we have to wait 3 seconds, that way next time we charge there is no cool down.

Board footer